• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Singing our railway's praises

Status
Not open for further replies.

crehld

Established Member
I have become increasingly concerned over the last week or so about the tone of some debates on this forum. Anyone who has a legitimate criticism or complaint to make is immediately branded as anti-rail. Others feel there is a clear anti-staff bias. Some posters clearly don't have anything substantive to contribute to the debate and simply resort to being overly-defensive, sarcastic and rude. This isn't how it should be!

Sure there are a few notorious posters who have nothing positive to say (on both sides of the debate). However, taking a step back from the heat of the moment, most discussions I read and contribute to are balanced and informative and draw on the expertise of staff, passengers and enthusiasts alike. As an avid reader of the Trip Reports section I see nothing but praise for our railways from the enthusiast community. Informal discussions with Mods at forum meets reveal they receive as many complaints about posts being anti-rail as they do for posts being anti-passenger. Much of the legitimate criticism I observe is levied against TOC policy rather than railway staff themselves.

Clearly, then, the perception this forum is inherently anti-rail and anti-staff is unsustainable, but it got me thinking as to why some people may feel this way. Perhaps it's because of the old adage that no news is good news - we only get to hear about the bad things that happen. We expect excellent service to be the norm so when we receive it we don't give it a second thought. This forum also of course has a whole section dedicated to disputes and complaints, and so most of the posters there are a self-selecting sample. Is this heavy focus on the negative distorting the perception of balance on this forum? Is this why some resort to vociferous outrage and objection every time when a negative comment about the railway is made?

Well, let us redress this balance with this thread!

I propose we take the time to show railway staff we appreciate the job they do. We all know things go wrong on our railways and staff occasionally let us down, but if we're honest most of the time our journeys go smoothly. Sometimes we are bowled over by the dedication and professionalism of staff who go the extra mile and put a real amount of pride into their work. So, have you witnessed a member of staff go the extra mile to make your journey more enjoyable? Have you been impressed with the helpfulness or dedication displayed by staff? This is the place to sing your praises about our railway and its staff!

Before we kick off let's lay out a few ground rules:

1. Let us stay focused. Only post here if you wish to compliment a specific member(s) of railway staff for the service you have received or witnessed first hand.

2. Compliments only please. As indicated, there are plenty of other threads to go to if you have an issue (with staff or passengers alike).

3. Tell us why you're celebrating the member(s) of staff. What made them stand out for you?

4. Forum rules specify we shouldn't give any information which may lead to a person's identity being revealed. So when singing our praises let's be mindful of this and confine ourselves to date, TOC, your origin and destination (or simply location if you wish to praise platform staff) and AM or PM.

5. If you have been motivated to post here, why not also consider letting the TOC know directly, so they can appropriately acknowledge and reward their staff?

Allow me to kick off. I'd like to celebrate the East Midlands Trains guard on a packed PM service from Crewe to Derby on 4 September (I think!). Each passenger that boarded at his door received a "good afternoon" as they got on. While on board he made a point of not only checking everyone's / selling tickets but also built a fantastic rapport by asking everyone how they were and what plans they had for the day. When someone pointed out to him the tannoy was very crackly and couldn't be heard over the engine noise he resorted to walking up and down the train to announce upcoming stops.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

PaxVobiscum

Established Member
The staff at the station I use most frequently to start journeys are always very helpful to all passengers, going out of their way to ensure (by polite and seemingly conversational questioning) that people travel as cheaply as possible. They know many of their regulars by name, and one member of staff even started a library for passengers which has been featured in the press.

Last edited:
Praise to the booking office guy at Royston early last week who was so helpful selling us the best tickets to London when we had to travel during the peak (there and back on separate days). He knew just what we needed and was so pleasant to me, it was a pleasure.

adrock1976

Established Member
What's it called? It's called Cumbernauld
Having operated radio communications at festivals, I am really impressed when the guard/conductor/train manager/whatever sexy title is given to the role these days spells out the coach letters using the phonetic alphabet.

For example, on Class 390s, some would mention that the onboard shop is situated in C for Charlie, and unreserved Standard seating is in F for Foxtrot and U for Uniform (11 car sets).

In my view, this should be a standard practice to use the phonetic alphabet, as this makes the announcements a lot clearer.

Starmill

Veteran Member
Most contributors to this forum only complain because they want things to be better. Nobody is trying to argue that the Industry doesn't have a long way to go. Nothing will ever get better if it isn't pointed out what's wrong!

This problem is down to an individual staff member or even a TOC in a small proportion of cases. The DfT are the ones with the work to do.

Anyways here we go

I recently met a wonderful VT Train Manager (I think at Glasgow Central) who couldn't possibly have been more helpful. I approached with a concern about a connection in my usual tentative fashion, I can't remember what I said exactly but it must have included a casual 'sorry' because I was stopped and told not to ever be sorry as it was their job to help. How lovely :) They went on to offer advice regarding the layout of the station and called the Team Leader there to mention which train I was going for as we were running late.

Alas I didn't actually make the connection in the end bit it felt great when I contacted their customer relations to be able to point out how friendly, welcoming and helpful that Train Manager was. :)

Last edited:

EssexGonzo

One of the bubbly, friendly and smiling ladies on the gateline at Shenfield. She must beam enthusiastically and greet many hundreds of grumpy self-important city t*ssers in exactly the same way every morning she's on duty! Without fail.

Last edited:

backontrack

Established Member
Had a good guard on a VTWC service from Edinburgh. She announced over the tannoy at Carlisle (where I alighted) which platform for which connection (and how long people had to make interchanges).

Established Member
I've always found Arriva Trains Wales, Merseyrail and Northern staff to be pleasant and helpful. There was one gent (a Northern guard) who was very helpful and pleasant when I asked him for directions to get from Leeds station to the bus station. After thanking him he said "have a nice day" which I thought was really thoughtful too. Unfortunately I forgot to ask for his name, but I still sent an email to Northern to commend the gentleman for his excellent customer service

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Had a good guard on a VTWC service from Edinburgh. She announced over the tannoy at Carlisle (where I alighted) which platform for which connection (and how long people had to make interchanges).

That is becoming quite common on VWC, I have no idea if it's official but it appears they are using the RTT app to do it! Most welcome.

trainophile

Established Member
Going back a while, but I was very impressed by a female TPE guard, who went more than the extra mile to help an elderly passenger who was on the wrong train for her Manchester destination. She spent ages working out the best course of action, printed it all off, and stayed with the passenger to make sure she was going to be alright when she left the train.

Even though it was nothing to do with me I did email TPE, having asked the guard what her name was, and was pleased to get a reply thanking me and saying this would go on the staff member's records and count towards their annual bonus/rewards scheme.

Have to say my experiences over seven years of intensive rail travel have been 100% positive, with only a couple of ticket office incidents giving a less than perfect impression. Gateline and train staff have never been anything other than courteous and helpful.

Howardh

Established Member
Going back a while, but I was very impressed by a female TPE guard, who went more than the extra mile to help an elderly passenger who was on the wrong train for her Manchester destination. She spent ages working out the best course of action, printed it all off, and stayed with the passenger to make sure she was going to be alright when she left the train.

Even though it was nothing to do with me I did email TPE, having asked the guard what her name was, and was pleased to get a reply thanking me and saying this would go on the staff member's records and count towards their annual bonus/rewards scheme.

Have to say my experiences over seven years of intensive rail travel have been 100% positive, with only a couple of ticket office incidents giving a less than perfect impression. Gateline and train staff have never been anything other than courteous and helpful.

There's a point to be made there. Many of us (passengers) aren't aware that there are bonuses and rewards, and while plenty will go out of their way to make a written complaint, most won't bother to thank great service.

Trying to think of a way round that, in a hotel or cafe you can sign a book, but what can you do other than to note the person's name and write in?

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
From an ex front line manager - customer feedback of a positive nature was so rare (in North London)-that we / I always made a point of personally (or through a secondary manager) - seeing the staff member and making sure the praise went through to the staff concerned.

Small things - but good results. Please and thank you do not half go down well.

Blindtraveler

Established Member
First off I agree Ree the OPs anti Rail and Anti staff concerns.

In no particular order I have to praise:
All but one member of Northern Rail Train crewe and Directly Employed staff Iv Ever delt with over the years including their Customer Relations Office

Scotrail Guards etc from Wick Depot who run a rural service very skillfully

Booking Office at Carlisle, 1 of my favourites

LM staff at Erdington, my most used West Midlands shack

about 95 percent of staff at LU

Similar percentage at Southeasten

ATW traincrew on a Heart Of Wales Service earlier this year who took the time to check if I was a cheepscate -ticket from SHR to SWA Route Landovery) a tourist or a basher and when told basher took time to give useful info and didnt hide their own enthusiasm too much

bnm

Established Member
Time to re-visit this topic for some staff praise.

Last week I was delayed at Lowestoft by a cancellation. The station staff there were brilliant in keeping everybody informed. They came out from behind their windows to speak with passengers individually, checking on destinations and advising on options. The staff also provided everybody with a voucher for a free beverage from the station cafe. Delay Repay forms were handed out without asking, and the staff showed people how to fill them in, and then took completed ones back to forward to head office. I had split tickets so kept hold of mine to send with a covering letter.

So top work from the staff at Lowestoft on the afternoon of Friday 15th January 2015.

Following on from that delay I missed the final connection of the day at Bristol TM for the Severn Beach Line. A taxi docket was issued solely on my word about the delay earlier in the day. No quibble about my split tickets. It was also issued to my home address rather than destination station, saving me either a walk home, wait for a late night bus, or request to the cabbie to go on the meter for the last part of my journey.

So, again, top work from the staff at Bristol TM later the same evening.

(MODS. What about a specific board for rail staff praise?)

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Afraid I'm struggling to find much to be positive about this year with the definite exception of one of the Network Rail guys at Euston's Special Assistance desk who using very limited info did his best to organise passenger assistance at multiple stations the night before travel during major disruption last week. Good work.

PermitToTravel

Established Member
There's a lovely booking office clerk at a busy Manchester station who seems to have a Marylebone level of skill. He never hesitates or takes more than a minute to sell whatever obscure excess I happen to need this time, and is always very cheerful about it. I've even seen him finding split advances for other passengers, completely unprompted

Iskra

Established Member
When it comes to railstaff, I think that if you're nice to them, they'll look after you and do whatever they can for you.

In the last year, particular credit to the following TOC's:

I have to say, that I generally see FGW/GWR mentioned in a negative context on this board, but in my fairly limited experience with them I've found them to be nothing but friendly, indeed the friendliest TOC.

Scotrail and Northern I usually find to be very good too. VTEC at my local station are amazing too (although not so much on board).

Particular thanks go to:

- The Night Riviera Sleeper lady who was helpful, talkative and genuinely friendly, to the point of running to the droplight and waving me off the train at Paddington at 0500 in the morning as if she'd known me all her life.
- GWR guard who let me travel on his train instead of a later one as his had Pullmann dining.
- An XC guard who didn't charge me for Weekend 1st as I'd been delayed previously and standard was full and standing.
- A Northern guard who made amusing announcements such as 'welcome to this Northern Rail pendolino service to X,' and then personally sorted me out a taxi home after a significantly delay.

Also all TOC's who operate HST's or LHCS, keep up the good work ;)

Last edited:

Blindtraveler

Established Member
I think you make an interesting point there about stock and creddit I think here must go to opperaters who have fleats with the majoritty consisting of pre privitisation stuff and the amount of work needed to keep this running. Particularly relevant to GWR, ATW, EMT, AGA, Mersyrail and Northern although a mention to fitters and staff at others that have some but not as much.

Iskra

Established Member
I think you make an interesting point there about stock and creddit I think here must go to opperaters who have fleats with the majoritty consisting of pre privitisation stuff and the amount of work needed to keep this running. Particularly relevant to GWR, ATW, EMT, AGA, Mersyrail and Northern although a mention to fitters and staff at others that have some but not as much.

Indeed, I think Northern staff perform miracles with the rolling stock they inherited to be honest!

Busaholic

Veteran Member
I find all the staff at Penzance booking office, run by First, pleasant and professional. Twenty-odd years ago, in what transpired to be the last days of BR, the staff were very variable, and one in particular as obnoxious as it is possible to be and continue to get away with it.So a big improvement there: not everything was rosier under nationalisation!

Crossover

Established Member
I had a great, friendly TM on an AXC service at the end of 2015 - last Birmingham to Leeds train (2103 off New St). Was in 1st Class as far as Burton-on-Trent, and with the assistance of another member of staff travelling pass (from what I could tell), they proactively asked and delivered drinks and a biscuit to all those in First, where desired, on leaving Birmingham. I also got talking to her later in the journey too when she passed through to do a quick ticket check of Standard, somewhere just after Derby. I think her name was Clare and from what I could gather, she mainly works the Yorkshire-Midlands corridor, and quite often on the Aberdeen to Penzance service :)

Phil.

Established Member
I find all the staff at Penzance booking office, run by First, pleasant and professional. Twenty-odd years ago, in what transpired to be the last days of BR, the staff were very variable, and one in particular as obnoxious as it is possible to be and continue to get away with it.So a big improvement there: not everything was rosier under nationalisation!

Having just moved to Penzance I'll drink to that!

Crossover

Established Member
Another was on the 1718 from Sheffield to Leeds (ex Nottingham) the guard who came through after revenue with a bin bag to clear 'the skip' of discarded junk that had been left strewn across the 158.

Status
Not open for further replies.