• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Single National Fares Plan?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul Kelly

Verified Rep - BR Fares
Has anyone heard of the Single National Fares Plan or know what it is? I have just heard of it today, having noticed this job ad on the GB Railways website: https://jobs.gbrtt.co.uk/single-national-fares-plan-delivery-lead-124355.htm

The job ad in the link is advertising for someone who will establish a "delivery framework" for the "SNFP" and set up 4 separate industry working groups to enable it!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Job specification looks like it's been liberally sprinkled with all the usual meaningless HR buzzwords. :s

JB_B

Established Member
I guess it's possible that this has leaked out by accident (ahead of an official announcement?)

What little info is available doesn't inspire confidence.

Would there be any harm in generating a potemkin applicant to find out a little more :)

Last edited:

mikeg

Established Member
To be fair I think it was coming, I mean now that the TOCs act more as concessions and the farebox is largely central. The devil will be in the detail. I'm not against fare reform and certainly not against a single plan but we have to watch out for the dead hand of the treasury along with those who may bring the old atoc mindset with them. Most other countries which have decent and comprehensible and affordable fares have just such a plan

STINT47

After reading the job description I'm left scratching my head as to what exactly the job involves and it's purpose.

It come across as one of those awful job adverts that are full of all of the right words without actually putting them in the right order to make any sense. If I went for an interview when it got to the "do you have any questions for us" stage I would be asking for a lot more clarity.

In my experience these sort of adverts are often put together by someone who doesn't really understand the job that's being advertised. Often because the employer hasn't yet decided how it will work but wants to recruit for when they're ready to go forward

CyrusWuff

Established Member
Suspect it's mostly a project management role at this stage, and it will be down to the working groups to come up with the eventual plan.

Paul Kelly

Verified Rep - BR Fares
Suspect it's mostly a project management role at this stage, and it will be down to the working groups to come up with the eventual plan.
I bet you're right, but I've just read the job ad again in detail and it continuously talks about delivering the plan, which to me strongly implies that it already exists - unless of course they're planning to make it up as they go along, which on second thoughts is perhaps quite likely....

Nottingham59

Established Member
But wouldn't a job entitled "Single National Fares Plan Delivery Lead" mean leading the delivery of a Single National Fares Plan? And it's good to see that they expect all that to be done within a 12 month temporary contract. Great to see the GBR Transition Team is getting a move on.

Or maybe not.....

JonathanH

Veteran Member
How is there going to be a 'Single National Fares Plan' when we have Oyster / Contactless in London (and the South East), and it hasn't yet been replicated in other areas?

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
But wouldn't a job entitled "Single National Fares Plan Delivery Lead" mean leading the delivery of a Single National Fares Plan? And it's good to see that they expect all that to be done within a 12 month temporary contract. Great to see the GBR Transition Team is getting a move on.

Or maybe not.....

I think people are looking too much into a job role here! There’s no shortage of railway (and other industries are often no better) jobs with uncertain terms. “Delivery” can mean a lot of things.

To me it sounds more like a senior project manager to deliver a plan, not necessarily involved in the execution.

Haywain

Veteran Member
I think people are looking too much into a job role here! There’s no shortage of railway (and other industries are often no better) jobs with uncertain terms. “Delivery” can mean a lot of things.

To me it sounds more like a senior project manager to deliver a plan, not necessarily involved in the execution.
I would suggest that the first part - 'Single National Fares Plan' - might suggest a merger of all the different pricing manager roles rather than something more radical. But who knows...

Joe Paxton

Established Member

I agree. Delivering i.e. coming up with a plan isn't the same as executing it i.e. making the plan turn into reality.

I would suggest that the first part - 'Single National Fares Plan' - might suggest a merger of all the different pricing manager roles rather than something more radical. But who knows...

Makes sense. I dare say that some of the more experienced pricing managers who becamse adept at working the system (for the benefit of their TOC) might be quite capable of re-working the system.

Surreytraveller

On Moderation
Sounds like they're going to dig out a Fares Manual from about thirty years ago, before all these operator specific tickets came in, triple the prices, and claim it as all their own work

Status
Not open for further replies.