• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Sjt help

Trackman2

I've failed most train driver sjt. I've always chosen them most safety critical answer but it's clear thats not the answer operators are looking for.

E.g. operators recieve fines if trains do not depart on time. What do you prioritise, train departing on time or following safety protocol and guidelines to the tee? Do you work that extra 30 mins to help out and meet targets even though it would go against train driver guidelines?

I know the most common answer will be do what you would do in real life and don't overthink it.

But better guidance would be appreciated..

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Grvrdvicdr

Not to be ‘that’ person but the SJT is for you and you alone to do. It assesses your judgement so shouldn’t look for the help of others

At risk of sounding harsh, TOCs and FOCs look for people with a certain mentality and not everyone can meet that standard. By people asking for the best answer that same person could eventually find themselves in a situation where they make the wrong choice and in the industry it can literally be life or death. This is what that test is for

TacoTraveller

I agree with the person above, the tests are designed to eliminate people who do not fit the criteria they are looking for.

But from my own personal experience, it's not always "safety critical first", safety is a priority but there are also other priorities when safety isn't an option.

They understand that it's a human applying for the job, so they don't expect you to be a safety robot just so long as your answers are safety biased in total.

That being said, if you search the forum there's a large amount of information on all the tests are how to prepare from them.

DMckduck97

The SJT has absolutely no correlation to whether someone can drive a train or not. I've known many drivers to assist or help out with a mates sjt or another crew member and fail it...

It is a sifting method to cull numbers efficiently and quickly.

Twotwo

Go with safety first and following the rules over customer service and performance.

TacoTraveller

The SJT has absolutely no correlation to whether someone can drive a train or not. I've known many drivers to assist or help out with a mates sjt or another crew member and fail it...

Culling the numbers how if not looking for criteria that would make a safe driver?

I've known fully qualified car drivers help learners try to pass their theory/practicals and the learner still fails.

Does that make the test invalid or that the one taking the test just didn't meet the grade?

Grvrdvicdr

Yet my point still stands, it’s to test the judgement on a situation and the choices made. Any employer would rather employ someone who makes correct choices. I’ve had numerous situations while driving and can confidently say I’ve handled each and every one correctly.

Be a pointless test otherwise.

Tysoe

I'd say if you've failed it multiple times then maybe it's just not meant to be.

Also just because you think you're picking the most safety conscious answer, doesn't mean you are.

HWI_2001

My advice would be similar to that of other members. The SJT is not designed to be easy, but to try to pick out most likely to succeed in the role. If the answers were simple or those that are to be expected, it would fail at its job. It can be a really hard thing to accept that maybe a career in train driving isn’t for you, however there are plenty of other roles on the railway that may suit you better. Take your time with the test and give genuine thought to each answer is the best advice I can give.

Established Member

My thoughts exactly.

A mess room experiment to prove a point several years ago saw about eight out of ten current and serving traincrew fail the new SJT, but the training manager was adamant it assessed "key skills necessary to carry out the role". I disagree.

The driver SJT was effectively easier, with very one specific right answer and three clear wrong ones. The guard / dispatcher / station grades SJT was the problem - multiple correct answers and you had to guess which right answer was the company's one - totally stupid, and gives weight to claims that this appalling test is solely for lazy HR staff to reduce applications.

Having others sit online tests for them is deplorable and dishonest. In the case of the SJT, the employer is deplorable & dishonest and I won't criticise any candidate who matches HRs behaviour to pass this shambles of an assessment.

Trackman2

Hopefully I've found the answer to my question - be a realist.

We all know 'on paper' the safety first answers are correct.

But in real life you cant be too rigid.