• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Skegness HST 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

High Dyke

Established Member
Apologies if this is in the wrong forum.

Just seen that EMR are planning to run two HST trips to Skegness on Saturday 4 July. no other information provided.
Code:
1S01 07.53 Derby to Skegness
1S02 11.40 Skegness to Derby
1S03 09.43 Nottingham to Skegness
1S04 12.35 Skegness to Nottingham

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
Apologies if this is in the wrong forum.

Just seen that EMR are planning to run two HST trips to Skegness on Saturday 4 July. no other information provided.
Code:
1S01 07.53 Derby to Skegness
1S02 11.40 Skegness to Derby
1S03 09.43 Nottingham to Skegness
1S04 12.35 Skegness to Nottingham

Why? I thought rail travel was still frowned upon at the moment.. be carnage Saturday anyway, let alone hordes of people arriving into Skegness.

LowLevel

Established Member
I think they were sort of hoping to keep that on the down low to avoid attracting enthusiasts - if they end up being counter productive and attracting more enthusiasts than they are helpful in transporting people they will just stop running them as they're unadvertised.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
I think they were sort of hoping to keep that on the down low to avoid attracting enthusiasts - if they end up being counter productive and attracting more enthusiasts than they are helpful in transporting people they will just stop running them as they're unadvertised.

I thought they would appear on RTT even if unadvertised?

On Moderation
Why? I thought rail travel was still frowned upon at the moment.. be carnage Saturday anyway, let alone hordes of people arriving into Skegness.
For the same reason that they run every year.

People want to get out now and with lockdown easing will do so. So this is a good idea to meet what may be heavy demand for capacity.

On Moderation
How’s it any different to previous years? There’s always been some enthusiasts on, but never huge numbers.

High Dyke

Established Member
Oops. :oops:
So they are displaying somewhere? Just seemed peculiar that only 2 days before RTT hasn't heard of them.
Perhaps RTT will catch up in due course. The information was only sent out to rail staff this morning.

Swimbar

As you say they're not on RTT as yet but all four are showing VSTP on Rail Record
EMR don't appear to think they are running!!
Because of restrictions, unlike previous years, we are unable to run extra, longer trains to seaside destinations such as Skegness during the summer months. If this changes we will let you know, however, if you are planning your summer staycation please do not plan to travel to the seaside by train.

Veteran Member
So they are displaying somewhere? Just seemed peculiar that only 2 days before RTT hasn't heard of them.
I don't think Saturday's times are completely updated on the system - several workings are cancelled out of Skegness but the inward workings are still there. That could be intentional but...:)

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Perhaps RTT will catch up in due course. The information was only sent out to rail staff this morning.

Quite possibly, it was just my assumption that this would've been planned out long ago and thus the paths inputted and therefore RTT would have the services listed

hexagon789

Veteran Member
I don't think Saturday's times are completely updated on the system - several workings are cancelled out of Skegness but the inward workings are still there. That could be intentional but...:)

Last minute alterations in other words? I suppose the ammended timetable does mean RTT isn't perhaps 100% correct in displaying things at present.

Tom

The VSTPs are in the RTT system and were received this morning. e.g. https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/34836/2020-07-04/detailed

Due to the way that RTT works when looking ahead and it chooses the database engines it wants to search (there are three for different time periods), they won't display until tomorrow afternoon I would imagine. The reason is that VSTPs are typically used for service less than ~36 hours ahead and so it's a reasonable assumption that it only will search the realtime and future database when it's within a window less than that. Further out than that it looks at only the future schedules as per the CIF trainplan.

bunnahabhain

Established Member
These are running as a reaction to some heavy loadings on some of the Skegness services recently. We have the drivers, crew and trains available, so may as well sweat the assets. The decision was only made very late on Wednesday 1st July, too late for the usual short term planning rules.

For the first three Saturdays they will run effectively as an unadvertised relief, and then pick up the usual 8 week slot finishing on 12th September.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
These are running as a reaction to some heavy loadings on some of the Skegness services recently. We have the drivers, crew and trains available, so may as well sweat the assets. The decision was only made very late on Wednesday 1st July, too late for the usual short term planning rules.

For the first three Saturdays they will run effectively as an unadvertised relief, and then pick up the usual 8 week slot finishing on 12th September.

Common sense has prevailed then? It's always nice to see when a TOC takes the sensible approach to use stock that isn't needed for one service to assist with capacity on another, in this by making a late decision to run the Skeggy HSTs a few weeks early as unadvertised additional trains

midland1

Could it be they could class 222s as that seems to be the case on the MML with some workings shown as HSTs being replaced by 222s, though I have seen some 222 workings being HSTs.

High Dyke

Established Member
Could it be they could class 222s as that seems to be the case on the MML with some workings shown as HSTs being replaced by 222s, though I have seen some 222 workings being HSTs.
If you're suggesting using Cl.222 to Skegness. They're not route cleared beyond Sleaford.

bunnahabhain

Established Member
No, a small contingent of Senior Conductors at Nottingham sign HSTs for the Skegness services and any other specials, reliefs and charters that need covering.

Adam0984

No, a small contingent of Senior Conductors at Nottingham sign HSTs for the Skegness services and any other specials, reliefs and charters that need covering.
Do they work HSTs on a semi regular basis on local sections like Notts and Derby to Leicester to keep competency

43 302

Established Member
Do they work HSTs on a semi regular basis on local sections like Notts and Derby to Leicester to keep competency
Nottingham (to Leicester) to St Pancras is one of the HSTs core routes and the Angel 2+6 set works between Derby and Leicester too.

On Moderation
Nottingham (to Leicester) to St Pancras is one of the HSTs core routes and the Angel 2+6 set works between Derby and Leicester too.
That doesn't answer the question asked, which was as to how the "local" (ex-Central Trains) crews retain HST competency.

43 302

Established Member
That doesn't answer the question asked, which was as to how the "local" (ex-Central Trains) crews retain HST competency.
Ah yes my mistake, I misread the question as 'they' referring to EMR rather than the staff.

bunnahabhain

Established Member
No. A traction refresh day is done once a year for those who sign them, still want to sign them, and are able to cover the turns required.

Status
Not open for further replies.