• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Sleep - how much do you get?

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Tom

Do not ask me why I'm posting this at this time of night...

But...

How much sleep do you get a night? :)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

1D53

Established Member
Not enough! Normally bout 6 or so hours. Although tonight I'll sleep for 10 or so hopefully.

I got up 9am Thursday and didn't sleep till 6pm last night though, all thanks to some uni work.

westcoaster

Established Member
all depends what shifts im on, if im on lates then about 8-9 hours but early shifts around 6-7 hours, but the first early normally 4-5 because i cant get to sleep?

Craig

Established Member
Not enough, during the week when I'm at work I'm lucky to get 7. Usually a bit more at weekends and when I'm off.

I used to suffer from insomnia too, although it's not too bad at the moment. Back then I'd be lucky if I got more than 3 hours sleep.

Guinness

Established Member
Mon - Thurs = 7 - 8 hours

Friday = 4/5 hours depending on whether I'm needed at Great Central.

Sat / Sunday = 10/11 hours. Then I put all those gained hours into working a 10 hour shift with a 10 minute break.

Horray.

LondonBVE

Mine is Weekdays -> 11.30pm to 6.30pm
Weekends, Public Holidays and School Holidays -> 2.00am to 10.30am (Sometimes 3am)

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Various hours, but it can be a rather small number of hours on most occasions. Granted, last night by the time I got to bed for some sleep I was shattered, had a good 12 or so hours sleep. Bloody deserved it too.

Can't sleep? Get out there and do a decent day's work. Get up early to prepare for the day's shift, travel for numerous hours (last week I was spending 1h45m+ each way a day to go to work) to get to the workplace, do a decent bit of hard work, spend some hours getting back home, see how bloody tired you are then. Do that all week, starting Monday and finishing Friday, see how exhausted you are then, how much you deserve a weekend off. If you've done a decent lot of work (and that does NOT include sitting in an office chair for the day! I do of course mean doing something that is more physical than typing stuff into a computer all day whilst taking several coffee/smoke breaks, with the possible risk of RSI from lifting coffee mugs all day) all week, you'll be glad to see your pay in your bank account, more so to have the weekend away from work (although your mind tends to go back to thinking about work) and doing something you like doing with your wages.

Some people are so lazy they can't sleep because they've been consuming food and drink all day, so there's a whole load of energy floating about them still when it comes to going to sleep...

Insomnia? Surprised those with it aren't claiming Incapacity Benefit...Sponging prats they are too...

Kris

8 - 10 hours on lates or days off :sleepy4:

0 - 3 on earlies like tomorrow (up at silly 'o' clock for a 5.30 start :shock: )

9 hour job too - hopefully get the last bit covered

About 6-7 hours sleep weekdays, usually about 6 on Saturdays (depending on when I need to get up to catch the early morning trains (:|) and on Sundays about 8 hours, I dont get enough! :lol:

Kris

Well it's 04.50am and typically I've barely slept going from a late shift to early after a couple of days off.:sleepy2:

Just finished reading a book instead.

Oh well - probably have to hit the Red Bull later :blob7:

Beaker

Established Member
Depends on the day, for example yesterday i went to sleep at 11 after the lord nelson trip , and had to be awake at 7 to get to norden at 08:30 for 20188 running

westcoaster

Established Member
Well it's 04.50am and typically I've barely slept going from a late shift to early after a couple of days off.:sleepy2:

Just finished reading a book instead.

Oh well - probably have to hit the Red Bull later :blob7:

i know how you feel kris when you done a couple of trips it hits you like a brick in the face, at least my end of the train you can get some shut eye, unless the spy's are out an about, (why do managers think it is ok to hide behind walls, on bridge's to see ur doing your job properly a**ewipes) on this subject the other day a manager on the driver's side jumped out from behind a waiting room with a speed gun, driver sees it, thinks **** someone is going to shoot, hits the emg brake and duck's. funny as f**K

Status
Not open for further replies.