• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Slightly bizarre 1st gen DMU question

Status
Not open for further replies.

OuterDistant

In this photo of a class 104, there's some light damage to the front end that looks like it's been hit by a shotgun! However, I've seen various photos of other DMUs over the years that show similar damage in exactly the same place.

Anyone know what the cause of this was? Is it a bad spot for corrosion, or a birdstrike or something?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

strange6

Established Member
Oh, I see! Here is another 104 with damage in the same position but not as bad. The only thing I can think of is susceptibility to damage when coupling-up with something, especially if it was done in a slap-dash manner. Having said that, the enormous buffers on these things should have protected it from something like that.

Attachments

• 388.jpg
    388.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 79

The_Stig

Looks like it is the coupler hitting the front when lifted up to join units.

I'd suggest it is most likely due to the brake pipe not having been secured in place, leaving it to blown around and upwards, especially when trailing on the rear. Noticed this before on several units, damage seems to be around the radius of where the brake pipe could hit the front.

strange6

Established Member
I'd suggest it is most likely due to the brake pipe not having been secured in place, leaving it to blown around and upwards, especially when trailing on the rear. Noticed this before on several units, damage seems to be around the radius of where the brake pipe could hit the front.

Can't see an unsecured brakeline doing that much damage to a thick metal panel! :) And if it was insecure in the first instance, the train should not have been running!

Welshman

Established Member
Did there not used to be a 2-digit route-code panel in that area?
Perhaps when they fell into disuse and were covered-over an inferior metal plate was used.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.