• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Slow line speeds at Barry Island station

Status
Not open for further replies.

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
I was scoring for a cricket match at Barry Athletic CC yesterday, and it was an opportunity to see the Class 150s going into and out of Barry Island station.

I was struck by the slow speed that they travelled over the bridge from the mainland and correspondingly the same when they returned - they were almost at a crawl. I wondered why this was so - is there a significant gradient between the bridge and the station (it looks like there is) or is there another reason? Also, is there a reason why they go so slow on the return journey?

Thanks.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

mrcheek

Established Member
Might be as much due to the fact that the entire branch is basically just a massive curve, with no opportunity (or need) to build up any speed

Buzby

Funnily enough - I was at Clachnaharry, a few miles west of Inverness where the railway crosses the Caledonian Canal, which is a single track swing bridge. I couldn’t believe how slow the DMU’s were at crossing it, less than walking pace and it didn’t matter which way they were going, into Inverness or up to Dingwall. OK, I know it’s not a fast route, but this was just incredible!

Attachments

• IMG_0500.jpeg
    IMG_0500.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 118
  • IMG_0499.jpeg
    IMG_0499.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 117

SteveM70

Established Member
Funnily enough - I was at Clachnaharry, a few miles west of Inverness where the railway crosses the Caledonian Canal, which is a single track swing bridge. I couldn’t believe how slow the DMU’s were at crossing it, less than walking pace and it didn’t matter which way they were going, into Inverness or up to Dingwall. OK, I know it’s not a fast route, but this was just incredible!

The speed limit on the bridge at Clach is 10mph from memory, so a bit more than walking pace

Last edited:

MrJeeves

Established Member
I was scoring for a cricket match at Barry Athletic CC yesterday, and it was an opportunity to see the Class 150s going into and out of Barry Island station.

I was struck by the slow speed that they travelled over the bridge from the mainland and correspondingly the same when they returned - they were almost at a crawl. I wondered why this was so - is there a significant gradient between the bridge and the station (it looks like there is) or is there another reason? Also, is there a reason why they go so slow on the return journey?

Thanks.
I visited last summer and was also rather surprised about how slow it was, too!

InOban

Established Member
It's the same at Banavie. I've often wondered why the speed limit is so low.

dk1

Veteran Member
Here in the East Trowse Swing Bridge is 40 (the old one was 15), Somerleyton 30, Oulton Broad 25 & the slowest is Reedham at 20mph.

Gloster

Established Member
I have always understood that because you have a gap between two sections of rail on different structures, even with temporary supporting and securing devices, hammering across at speed is going to exponentially increase the maintenance requirement and cost. It may have something to do with deflection and bounce back, if that is the correct term. It probably doesn’t do the train wheels or passenger comfort any favours either.

Tomos y Tanc

It may be because that what connects Barry Island to Barry was built as a causeway and breakwater rather than a bridge. The Plymouth Estate which owned Barry Island had no interest in seeing it developed as a seaside resort or posh suburb to rival their own developments at Penarth. I'm just guessing here but it may be that the causeway is not particularly stable for railway use.

Western 52

It may be because that what connects Barry Island to Barry was built as a causeway and breakwater rather than a bridge. The Plymouth Estate which owned Barry Island had no interest in seeing it developed as a seaside resort or posh suburb to rival their own developments at Penarth. I'm just guessing here but it may be that the causeway is not particularly stable for railway use.
The causeway has had a low speed limit as long as I can remember. 10mph I think?

WesternBiker

The causeway has had a low speed limit as long as I can remember. 10mph I think?
I think so too - certainly 10mph on the curve out of Barry - and really not much scope to accelerate before braking for Barry Island (3/4 mile, if I recall correctly). The noise from the flanges when Pacers operated the services was very noticeable in both directions entering and leaving Barry.

Buzby

Heading in the opposite direction from Barry, there appears to be a roadway that continues the track towards the sea; Was this used by trains previously and is the stated tunnel still in service?

bramling

Veteran Member
Heading in the opposite direction from Barry, there appears to be a roadway that continues the track towards the sea; Was this used by trains previously and is the stated tunnel still in service?

The track continued through a tunnel to a station at Barry Pier. The station site is now at least partly used by a boating club, and the tunnel is now leased to a gun club.

Buzby

The track continued through a tunnel to a station at Barry Pier. The station site is now at least partly used by a boating club, and the tunnel is now leased to a gun club.
Ah - thanks for the info. At least they saw the sense of cutting back the route (unlike at Stranraer where everyone has schlep to the end of the pier that stopped handling ferries years ago)!

Last Hurrah

Paddle Steamers operated during summer months in Bristol Channel - The White Funnel Fleet if I recall - Waverley, Balmoral still carry on the tradition calling at harbours & ports along both sides of Bristol Channel - occasionally they started or returned from Barry Pier when a low tide prevented them using Penarth Pier a few miles further down the coast - passengers alighting at Barry Pier, could step on a waiting 3 coach DMU & journey through the tunnel to Barry Island & beyond - must have been the 60’s or early 70’s ?

P Binnersley

According to the Online Sectional Appendix the Barry Island branch is 10 mph at each end with 17 chains (~340m) of 40 mph in the middle.

Google Streetview shows that the 10 mph restriction at the Barry Island end extends over the causeway/bridge.

I don't know how close to 40 mph you can get to in 340m, but I suspect it isn't very.

Taunton

Established Member
Paddle Steamers operated during summer months in Bristol Channel - The White Funnel Fleet if I recall - Waverley, Balmoral still carry on the tradition calling at harbours & ports along both sides of Bristol Channel - occasionally they started or returned from Barry Pier when a low tide prevented them using Penarth Pier a few miles further down the coast - passengers alighting at Barry Pier, could step on a waiting 3 coach DMU & journey through the tunnel to Barry Island & beyond - must have been the 60’s or early 70’s ?
I actually went on one, alas showing my age. They varied the route each day/weekend in accordance with the tides and demand, but broadly ran zig-zagging across the Severn, doing Bristol - Clevedon - Weston - Penarth/Barry - Minehead - Porthcawl - Ilfracombe - Lundy, and back putting in at places like Lynmouth or Mumbles when the tide was right. There were two post-1945 paddle steamers, the last built, Bristol Queen and Cardiff Queen. Many stories of spending too long in the pub (especially on Sundays, having crossed to the England side to do so), and having to return late evening by train through the Severn Tunnel.

WesternBiker

Balmoral called there in 1971; and the last (special excursion) train was in 1973.

Status
Not open for further replies.