• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Smallest traincrew depots

Status
Not open for further replies.

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
(I was 50:50 about whether it belonged here or in Jobs & Careers, so mods move as you see fit.)

I was having a browse of the HOWL improvements thread and someone mentioned Pwllheli depot is the base for only six drivers and six guards. It got me thinking about which depots in the UK are the smallest by crew number based there: Stranraer and Wick I can't imagine have many, nor places like Workington on Northern. Does anybody have any other suggestions?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
(I was 50:50 about whether it belonged here or in Jobs & Careers, so mods move as you see fit.)

I was having a browse of the HOWL improvements thread and someone mentioned Pwllheli depot is the base for only six drivers and six guards. It got me thinking about which depots in the UK are the smallest by crew number based there: Stranraer and Wick I can't imagine have many, nor places like Workington on Northern. Does anybody have any other suggestions?
Mallaig and Kyle of Lochalsh

Pumbaa

Established Member
Kyle/Wick. If I remember correctly from my chat with traincrew a few summers ago, Kyle had 4 daily turns, Wick had 3 (of each). Presumably one spare and one cover/leave, gives total complements of 12 and 10 respectively. Would be interesting to know if these have changed. The Kyle Guard seemed to think they would gain 2 more.

Last edited:

Established Member
EMT have a small depot at Norwich for the Norwich to Liverpool services that start & finish there. Norwich crew also do a few bits in the East Midlands aside from that.

Urban Gateline

Established Member
I think Strawberry Hill (SWT) and Watford (LM) are examples of small traincrew depots, not sure of the numbers of Guards/Drivers though but I've heard they're small depots!

gnolife

Established Member
I imagine that Royal Leamington Spa isn't a very big one for London Midland, having found the door to it in my searches for a toilet.

Kneedown

Established Member
EMT have a small depot at Norwich for the Norwich to Liverpool services that start & finish there. Norwich crew also do a few bits in the East Midlands aside from that.

Also a depot at Boston. I forget the exact complement but I think it's round about 10 Drivers.

Established Member
Wickford Conductors have only 3 operational diagrams on Mon to Fri for 12 car trains on the Southminster branch, the rest are just commercial diagrams which works out at a total of about 9 staff.

Ilford trainmen (effectively a guard) was for a while quite a small depot, 1 diagram Mon to Fri for 312s on the 07.15 Southminster to Liverpool St = 1 member of staff. The job was covered by a depot driver acting as a guard when he was on holiday. Simplest roster I've ever seen.

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
LM have quite a few guards based at Stourbridge Junction, and Chiltern have 40-50 guards and drivers based there. It's not Waterloo, but it's not as tiny as you might think.

Are the PPM and Snow Hill line staff in a common pool for rostering, or do they only work one or the other?

Tomnick

Established Member
For the first few months of EMT (not sure exactly how long), LM crews at Crewe continued to work some of the trains, presumably for that very reason. That all sounds far too integrated for the modern railway though!

Cherry_Picker

Established Member
Are the PPM and Snow Hill line staff in a common pool for rostering, or do they only work one or the other?

Unless I am mistaken they are very much separate things. PPM staff aren't allowed to work trains and vice versa. I'm not sure whether it's a link thing or something else but I strongly suspect they are different grades. I got told once that PPM people have contracts more in line with Midland Metro staff than railway staff, but I can't be sure that's true.

dk1

Veteran Member

Was surprised when you mentioned Norwich as we have well over 100 drivers & lots of Guards. Then i noticed you stated EMT :lol:

Old Hill Bank

Unless I am mistaken they are very much separate things. PPM staff aren't allowed to work trains and vice versa. I'm not sure whether it's a link thing or something else but I strongly suspect they are different grades. I got told once that PPM people have contracts more in line with Midland Metro staff than railway staff, but I can't be sure that's true.

The Stourbridge Town service operates as a sub contract to LM by Pre Metro Operations Ltd and all of the operating staff are employed by the latter, they also may be the only operation where the staff are both drivers and conductors and as a rule swap roles each hour with a third person on each shift to rotate allowing for PNBs.

The link I provide gives quite an in depth description of the operation http://philtonks2.blogspot.co.uk/2012/12/a-day-in-lifeon-stourbridge-branch-line.html

Last edited:

andypops

In terms of FOCs, what about the DBS depot at Hereford? I think it was still operational until recently...

Class172

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
I know it's a relatively small depot, but how many people are assigned to Worcester?

Status
Not open for further replies.