• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

SNCF barriers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Speedbird

I'm travelling TGV from Lille to Paris CDG shortly. Are there ticket barriers or ticket inspections at the station. I have a tight connection between train and plane and a delay could be disastrous!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

island

Veteran Member
Welcome to the forum!

Ticket barriers are absolutely unknown on the TGV, and to my knowledge there are no on-station inspections. There may or may not be an inspection on the train (make sure you validate your ticket in the stamping machine before starting, unless you collect it immediately before travel and it says "composté le" followed by the date and time).

WestCoast

Established Member
Yeah, ticket barriers are rather rare (if they exist at all in some countries) on mainline rail in continental Europe.

starrymarkb

Established Member
They promise no onboard ticket checks, don't they? Is it done manually with an inspector?

Yep - l'inspecteur scans your e-ticket barcode... at Lille Europe they were using one escalator only (and using the Eurostar dividers to limit access) with inspecteurs at the top

Last edited:

WestCoast

Established Member
Just out of interest why is this?

Well, that is a tricky one, as its based on so many different factors.

Some things could be:
-In mainland Europe the nature of ticket checks on suburban services is often random and "you'll pay dearly if caught". The UK only has a full fare/penalty fare threat, for those who don't purchase a valid ticket before boarding, which doesn't target fare-dogers
-They seem to still value open stations as BR once did.
-They often use tickets which are not compatible with barriers
-They'd rather not pay for manning the barriers, when they could have more staff active around the station,
-Ticket machines can be found on platforms (past where barriers would be).
-Society's morals? Open to debate but it could be a factor.

The UK traditionally did have manual barriers, but these were somewhat scaled back with BR's open station policy, but now we've returned to the original scenario, albeit with a mixture of manual and auto barriers.

I presume its one of the consequences of privitisation and the pressure to reduce public subisdy - sorting out lost ticket revenue is seen as a relatively easy gain, so the DfT have put it into a number of franchise agreements. It doesnt hurt either that barriers have been on many stationsfor a long time, so its not a new concept.

Chris

WestCoast

Established Member
I presume its one of the consequences of privitisation and the pressure to reduce public subisdy - sorting out lost ticket revenue is seen as a relatively easy gain, so the DfT have put it into a number of franchise agreements.

Chris

Yes, that is also true to an extent. However, it's important to consider that before BR adopted a continental open stations policy in the 1980s(?), manual barriers were very much present. So it is a British thing.

Established Member
I got checked at Nimes by the french equivalent of G4S ...

"Les inspecteurs rubbishe."

WestCoast

Established Member
I got checked at Nimes by the french equivalent of G4S ...

"Les inspecteurs rubbishe."

Someone once told me the inspectors on the East Berlin U-Bahn consisted of a gang of mean looking guys in leather jackets accompanied by a vicious dog.

Gordon

Welcome to the forum!

Ticket barriers are absolutely unknown on the TGV, and to my knowledge there are no on-station inspections.

Whilst it is true there are no structural barriers, on-station 'human barriers' are common, usually when a busy peak operiod TGV is departing. These can be on the platform, or at the bottom entrance of stairways/escalators to platforms as at Lyon Part Dieu where access to the platform is via long walkways from the main station circulating area below the platforms.

There may or may not be an inspection on the train (make sure you validate your ticket in the stamping machine before starting, unless you collect it immediately before travel and it says "composté le" followed by the date and time).

More often than not there will be an on train inspection. You must 'Composter' (Validate) all card tickets purchased in France. Take care with the mention above of an exception if purchased 'immediately before travel', AFAIK the exception mentioned literally only applies to official 'last minute' TGV tickets. Some tickets bought just a few mnutes before travel have to be validated in the usual way)

northwichcat

Veteran Member
Yeah, ticket barriers are rather rare (if they exist at all in some countries) on mainline rail in continental Europe.

Ticket barriers are generally used on underground and commuter networks only in Europe. For instance, at Paris Gare Du Nord there are ticket barriers for RER services and Metro services, but for TGV and other services there's ticket validation machines only.

Although saying that, I seem to remember all platforms at all stations having barriers in Barcelona and in Germany I've never seen a ticket barrier - not in Cologne, Berlin or Potsdam.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Someone once told me the inspectors on the East Berlin U-Bahn consisted of a gang of mean looking guys in leather jackets accompanied by a vicious dog.

In Germany there's two type of inspectors: uniformed ones that work individually and plain clothes ones who usually work in groups and have identification badges. They might well all board the train without the badges on and then put them on and start doing an inspection.

LouJ

In Germany there's two type of inspectors: uniformed ones that work individually and plain clothes ones who usually work in groups and have identification badges. They might well all board the train without the badges on and then put them on and start doing an inspection.

One sunny day while travelling on the Frankfurt S-bahn a group of people complete with tennis whites and rackets boarded the train. They were plain clothes inspectors dishing out heavy penalties for no tickets!

jon0844

Veteran Member
I love it when FCC (and no doubt other TOCs) here do plain-clothed inspections. The choice of clothing to try and blend in can be most amusing. Some do it well, but others stand out more than wearing a uniform with 'REVENUE INSPECTOR" written on in illuminated studs and a big hat with an arrow pointing down saying 'TICKET CHECKS IN OPERATION'.

WestCoast

Established Member

That's how it works on the U and S-Bahns, the "gang" was just a little story I heard from the old East Berlin.:lol: On R/RE services of both DB and private operators, I've only seen conductors - but they do often work in pairs on busy trains (some of them are like double-acts). I've noticed at least half are female, which seems more than in the UK.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
The Stassi checked tickets? :lol:

I bet some staff wish there was a similar revenue squad operating with their TOC! ;)

Last edited:

Gordon

the "gang" was just a little story I heard from the old East Berlin.:lol:

As you say - it is a 'story'.
I suspect, like all stories about what went on behind the iron curtain it may have some element of myth and embellishment to it. The 'gang' you mention sounds more like a border guard gang than a ticket checking gang. I wonder if the story was based on someone's experience of passing through the Friedrichstrasse border crossing rather than travelling on a normal S or U bahn train within East Berlin (sorry "Berlin - Hauptstadt de DDR"...)

I spent a lot of time gricing in the eastern bloc countries and whilst there were security staff evident, daily life was not as 'controlled' as was portrayed in the west by people basing their views on myth rather than personal experience

Goldfish62

Established Member
Well, that is a tricky one, as its based on so many different factors.

Some things could be:
-In mainland Europe the nature of ticket checks on suburban services is often random and "you'll pay dearly if caught". The UK only has a full fare/penalty fare threat, for those who don't purchase a valid ticket before boarding, which doesn't target fare-dogers
-They seem to still value open stations as BR once did.
-They often use tickets which are not compatible with barriers
-They'd rather not pay for manning the barriers, when they could have more staff active around the station,
-Ticket machines can be found on platforms (past where barriers would be).
-Society's morals? Open to debate but it could be a factor.

The UK traditionally did have manual barriers, but these were somewhat scaled back with BR's open station policy, but now we've returned to the original scenario, albeit with a mixture of manual and auto barriers.

Barriers are now being installed on the Stockholm T-Bahn because of the high number of habitual free journeys being made.

jon0844

Veteran Member
My view of China when I was there was totally different to what I thought about the place before going.

Anon Mouse

Established Member
My view of China when I was there was totally different to what I thought about the place before going.

Agreed 100%

I was a bit nervous of snapping away ehen I first visited but I sharp learned that there was no real need to worry. I managed to get permission to roam around the main Beijing station without a ticket and took loads of shots. I also have took loads of shots at my Wife's hometown station of Pengshan. The only problem I encounted in China was at Chengdu Naan where seemingly the policeman suspected I was some kind of spy! :o:roll:
I did draw some strange looks from some security guy taking photos at a bridge in Beijing and I thought somebody was taking my photo in Pengshan, but I think some of that may be the Communist paranoia!

Beijing -

http://www.flickr.com/photos/wiseman2007/3596295978/in/set-72157621001762762

http://www.flickr.com/photos/wiseman2007/3589224483/in/set-72157621001762762/

W-on-Sea

Established Member
I was amused to see the slogan "лучший контролер - совесть!" on old Soviet-era trams in Ukraine.

Literally "The best controller (i.e. ticket inspector) is your conscience!"

Picasso

I'm travelling TGV from Lille to Paris CDG shortly. Are there ticket barriers or ticket inspections at the station. I have a tight connection between train and plane and a delay could be disastrous!

Hello,

Everything has been said about the barriers, but I am a bit surprised by your question : you have a tight connection between a TGV and a plane ? But what about a signalling problem, a suicide or a cow on the tracks, a strike, a cable theft, a breakdown of your TGV, somebody ill in your train... all sorts of things which are unpredictable, but may happen.
If your flight is a long range one, a connection of several hours seems sensible.

Éric

Last edited:

island

Veteran Member
That's also a very good point! And depending on the terminal you're flying from at Roissy, you may need to allow some time for the inter-terminal bus, as they don't now allow walking in between several of the terminals.

tripleseis

I think Amsterdam CS has automatic barriers on at least some platforms, may just be the underground though

They indeed have them on the Metro but they're also installing them on the mainland station as well (you won't be able to get onto the concourse without a ticket). When we were there they were installed but not in use. As they're moving to the OV-Chipkaart now and I guess they're there stop people riding the train for free to the airport etc. All the other stations on the NS network just had card readers.

Status
Not open for further replies.