• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Solutions to capacity on GEML

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adrian1980uk

With the ambition to get more freight on the railways, more Felixstowe freight services will be wanted along with faster passenger in the future, capacity will become a bigger issue than it is now.

What options are there, will we see more passing loops and reduced headway. For the distance 100 mph is probably ok if the passenger trains travelled at that speed, all to often the fasts catch up with the stoppers and I'm sure freight too

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Veteran Member
With the ambition to get more freight on the railways, more Felixstowe freight services will be wanted along with faster passenger in the future, capacity will become a bigger issue than it is now.

What options are there, will we see more passing loops and reduced headway. For the distance 100 mph is probably ok if the passenger trains travelled at that speed, all to often the fasts catch up with the stoppers and I'm sure freight too
The best solution is to upgrade and electrify the Cross-country route to Nuneaton - though it's not ideal for Daventry.

Freights on the GEML (and elsewhere) can match stopping trains but obviously not expresses.

Meerkat

Established Member
Brand new freight only line from Kennet to Daventry, plus HS2 to at least Golborne.
Easy really :D

Adrian1980uk

The best solution is to upgrade and electrify the Cross-country route to Nuneaton - though it's not ideal for Daventry.

Freights on the GEML (and elsewhere) can match stopping trains but obviously not expresses.
Here's the thing, I can see 4 tracks to haughley junction but even the scope of Ely improvements won't offer the capacity needed to meet the government targets.

I expect more passing loops until eventually there is no more space to do it

Class15

On Moderation

I’m not totally sure. There is little point spending huge money electrifying a line just for freight when there is an alternative, electrified, route via Wembley. The money would surely be spent on freight terminals such as London Gateway, Felixstowe and Lawley Street?

New Freightliner Loops somewhere along the GEML Ipswich-Stratford would make sense, as the ones at Colchester and Witham appear to be the only ones, which limits capacity hugely.

Additionally, improving the signalling along the North London Line would help greatly, as well as 4-tracking the short section between Camden Road Junction and Camden Road East Junction.

Ideally freights would run over the Kensal Green Jn - Gospel Oak - South Tottenham - Stratford route, bypassing the busiest sections of the NLL, but this is difficult due to the conflict with the NLL at Stratford. Fundamentally, to fully fix the problem permanently, you’re either going to have to pour massive amounts of cash into the XC route, or pour massive amounts of cash into the NLL and GEML.

Meerkat

Established Member
I’m not totally sure. There is little point spending huge money electrifying a line just for freight when there is an alternative, electrified, route via Wembley.
Does that route have enough paths to satisfy demand?
it’s also a very long way round to the ECML

Status
Not open for further replies.