• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Sounding the horn……??

dangie

Established Member
Some time ago I asked if drivers could implement their own speed restrictions if they deemed conditions warranted it. I now have another question.

Are there any laid down rules as to when drivers can or can’t sound the horn? Obviously I don’t mean as a warning, but maybe as an acknowledgment to a wave etc from a member of the public or perhaps if you saw someone recording your passing train.

I’m guessing sounding the horn for reasons other than safety could be frowned on for example when passing through built up areas early in the morning or late at night. Are there any rules on this?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DJP78

On Moderation
Some time ago I asked if drivers could implement their own speed restrictions if they deemed conditions warranted it. I now have another question.

Are there any laid down rules as to when drivers can or can’t sound the horn? Obviously I don’t mean as a warning, but maybe as an acknowledgment to a wave etc from a member of the public or perhaps if you saw someone recording your passing train.

I’m guessing sounding the horn for reasons other than safety could be frowned on for example when passing through built up areas early in the morning or late at night. Are there any rules on this?

Use of the horn is covered in module TW1, section 47 of the rule book

Use of horn at crossings is allowed between 0600 - 2359

'You must only use the horn as much as is necessary to give an effective warning or to make sure safe working takes place'

Martinwithanx

On Moderation
Rule Book Section 46.3

(e) Train movements

You must sound the horn at any other time you consider necessary

I use it to say “hi” to kids waving, people over the yellow line on platforms, signal to track workers that I’ve seen them acknowledge my sounding of the horn on approach by raising their arms, etc.

Last edited by a moderator:

LCC106

Established Member
Although I’m sure there are drivers out there who think they’ve seen a p-way person near a bridge some children just happen to be waving from. Happened to me before, I know! Even with my Manager was with me ;)

dk1

Veteran Member
We can sound the horn whenever we deem it needed 24hrs a day.

At whistle boards however as stated above it’s only between the hours of 06:00-23:59 when it should be sounded for 3 seconds (1 second before 2 seconds after) as per the rule book.

At my TOC the only added restriction is that it cannot be used in the shed area at maintenance depots.

LCC106

Established Member
Can’t use ours anywhere on the depot or it’s classed as a near miss! Seems ridiculous to me. Surely you can warn someone you’re heading towards them. In a previous TOC we used ours to enter the fuel shed or as required.

Krokodil

Established Member
Can’t use ours anywhere on the depot or it’s classed as a near miss! Seems ridiculous to me. Surely you can warn someone you’re heading towards them.
Probably because of the sheer volume of modern horns, it'll deafen the staff. Some newer units have depot horns which are quieter

PyrahnaRanger

Probably because of the sheer volume of modern horns, it'll deafen the staff. Some newer units have depot horns which are quieter
Are there any units that have a recording of a horn, rather than an actual horn? If you frequent Blackpool’s trams, you’ll spot that they can toot or ding, but both sounds seem to be recordings - you can hear the speaker switch on and hiss for a second or two before the sound is played through it!

Established Member
Many modern units have a whistle to use within depots.

12LDA28C

Established Member
Use of the horn is covered in module TW1, section 47 of the rule book

'You must only use the horn as much as is necessary to give an effective warning or to make sure safe working takes place'

Indeed, although the rules are different on the London Underground network where the horn should only be sounded at whistle boards between 0700 and 1900, no doubt due to noise concerns in residential areas.

Can’t use ours anywhere on the depot or it’s classed as a near miss! Seems ridiculous to me. Surely you can warn someone you’re heading towards them. In a previous TOC we used ours to enter the fuel shed or as required.
Wow. At our depot the horn has to be sounded prior to commencing every movement including coupling within the depot area. The point is to prevent near misses before they happen in a busy environment where people and trains work in close proximity.

Established Member

In practice it’s entirely down to drivers’ discretion to sound the horn whenever they feel necessary. Any questioning could be met with “I thought I saw p way on the track”, “I thought someone on the platform was too close to the edge and unaware of my approach”, or similar.

You are required to sound the horn at whistle boards within those hours, but that doesn’t mean you can’t sound it at those locations at other times, if someone is on or near the line, or if you feel it necessary.

vikingdriver

We can sound the horn whenever we deem it needed 24hrs a day.

At whistle boards however as stated above it’s only between the hours of 06:00-23:59 when it should be sounded for 3 seconds (1 second before 2 seconds after) as per the rule book.

At my TOC the only added restriction is that it cannot be used in the shed area at maintenance depots.
Where does it state in the rule book to sound it for 3 seconds like that?

TreacleMiller

Where does it state in the rule book to sound it for 3 seconds like that?
It doesn't.

TOCs PDA agreements maybe, but unless that's updated in the last update, it's not in the rule book.

I think the Op has their answer now.

We can do it whenever we can justify it, not when we fancy.

That being said, the likelihood of you being pulled over the coals for giving the horn a blast on a special service, retirement run etc. Is relatively low.

AJD

In practice it’s entirely down to drivers’ discretion to sound the horn whenever they feel necessary.

Yep, this!

We've had many damaged pantographs when birds have struck them, resulting in auto drop activations (ADD) and the resulting delay can be considerable.

Had a manager conducting one of their regular assessments last week and a large flock of birds lift off and make their way over towards the railway. Good sharp blast of the horn soon disperses them away from the vicinity of the train and overhead wires.

Told the manager I'm not risking a potential ADD event. They agreed and no more was said.

dk1

Veteran Member
I think @dk1 has previously mentioned his driving policy is very prescriptive regarding whistle boards.

Most certainly is. I am picked up on downloads for only doing it for 2.7secs for example as has most of the establishment at my depot at one time or other.

Established Member
Most certainly is. I am picked up on downloads for only doing it for 2.7secs for example as has most of the establishment at my depot at one time or other.
There was some discussion about this in another thread some time ago when I said I'd been picked up for only pressing the couple button for 4.9 seconds instead of 5 seconds. Some interesting information was posted about the accuracy of the recordings not being reliable down to such a small margin.

dk1

Veteran Member
There was some discussion about this in another thread some time ago when I said I'd been picked up for only pressing the couple button for 4.9 seconds instead of 5 seconds. Some interesting information was posted about the accuracy of the recordings not being reliable down to such a small margin.

From what I gather the downloads on the 745/755 are pretty accurate. Same as we get pulled up for not pausing for doors. Just have to smile & agree.

Recessio

If they want it precise to the millisecond could they not add a button that plays it for an exact period of time? Sounds ridiculous to get picked up over 0.1 seconds.

12LDA28C

Established Member

Whistle for LU trains, horn for mainline trains running over the LU. :lol:

There can't be much going on at your depot if all the DMs have to worry about is you being 0.3 seconds short on the warning horn.

dk1

Veteran Member
Whistle for LU trains, horn for mainline trains running over the LU. :lol:

There can't be much going on at your depot if all the DMs have to worry about is you being 0.3 seconds short on the warning horn.
Six DMs at my depot alone & just how it is nowadays. They’re all lovely really though :wub:

driverd

Goodness, I'm glad I don't work for GA. Do they put people on plans for such things?

Class 170101

Established Member
Really? The next thing drivers will be asking for is a stop watch!