• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

South Africa

Status
Not open for further replies.

Train jaune

Planning to travel overnight by train from Port Elizabeth to Johannesburg in January 19. Anyone done that (Or other SA trips) and got some helpful advice or tips?

Thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

RailExplorer

Hi, I caught the local Cape Town train to Kalk Bay / Fish Hoek. And also to Stellenbosch in December 2017. Obvisouly read about the safety risks but I had no issues on either, although, the Kalk Bay route was much more popular, felt much safer and was rather scenic once along the coast. It wasn’t running ton Simons Town at the time. If you want more details let me know.

dutchflyer

Established Member
Have been there and did that line, but quite some time ago-when trains still ran daily. They do not now. I assume its still the same trains/cartypes. I did Kaapstad-bus to PE (stop underway for steamtrains Knysna-that is no more), then PE-Jo'burg-Durban-Kimberley-Kaapstad= 4 overnighters. One of these 4 was made unpleasant by rowdy and angry to all toorichforeigners white SAers.
Best is to prebook an get yourself a sleeper-this are ''Indian/Russky style'' with 4 beds in a comprtmt, bedding will be done by attendants at approp. times and is included (and tips not really expected, as I can remember). As usual-seat61 will give best advice and details and onesided promotion of train travel.
The most risky parts of the trip are to and fro the stations.
In local trains (=other company) use 1st cl.

Status
Not open for further replies.