• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

South West Trains advertising for trainee train drivers for Staines, Waterloo and Wim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Val3ntine

Just recieved a call out the blue inviting me to a DMI next month! That's the first I've heard from SWT since I applied in Dec so I'm chuffed to say the least!

Any updates from the guys who've sat the DMI already? Can anybody shed some light on when training is scheduled to start for Waterloo?

Thanks

Have you previously passed all assesments? I too am in the same boat having applied in december but not heard anything until now

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Val3ntine

Yes I've passed the other parts of the assessments previously. I was told I'll be doing the written communication test before the interview. Fingers crossed you may get a call soon

Thank you, and all the best of luck to ya! I've heard SWT have one of the hardest DMI's (without scaring you), so prepare prepare prepare and get good news on behalf of all of us!!

Sirgerbil

Thank you, and all the best of luck to ya! I've heard SWT have one of the hardest DMI's (without scaring you), so prepare prepare prepare and get good news on behalf of all of us!!

It is a pretty intense DMI, I passed but ended up choosing to start with VTEC.

Get as much company information as you can and include any traction knowledge you can find also. The competency questions are very familiar to the MMI.

Lasbrisas

Just come across this thread, I applied for Staines back in December and haven't heard a thing, anyone else who applied for Staines heard something, should I call them ? Also have an application in for Guard with SWT and passed the assesment day back in December but heard nothing else for that either.

Need2

Just come across this thread, I applied for Staines back in December and haven't heard a thing, anyone else who applied for Staines heard something, should I call them ? Also have an application in for Guard with SWT and passed the assesment day back in December but heard nothing else for that either.

I also applied for the driver job (Wimbledon) and still heard nowt, only been 4 months so don't worry. I've waited 6 before any contact is made.
The reason for not hearing about the guard job could be that there are no live vacancies at the moment.
I passed the assessment in December for a guard position at Wimbledon and heard nothing until late Jan. The offer was an interview for a position at Waterloo as no live vacancies at Wimbledon. I waited until late Feb for a Wimbledon place to come up.
Failed the interview and to be honest quite glad I did, didn't quite like the guard manager. Don't know why, just had a 'feeling' about him.
Intense as ever SWT interviews are plus you are taken to Southampton Central for 15 minutes to 'work' with the public!

Last edited:

Lasbrisas

I also applied for the driver job (Wimbledon) and still heard nowt, only been 4 months so don't worry. I've waited 6 before any contact is made.
The reason for not hearing about the guard job could be that there are no live vacancies at the moment.
I passed the assessment in December for a guard position at Wimbledon and heard nothing until late Jan. The offer was an interview for a position at Waterloo as no live vacancies at Wimbledon. I waited until late Feb for a Wimbledon place to come up.
Failed the interview and to be honest quite glad I did, didn't quite like the guard manager. Don't know why, just had a 'feeling' about him.
Intense as ever SWT interviews are plus you are taken to Southampton Central for 15 minutes to 'work' with the public!

OK Thanks, yeah I heard about working the public at Southampton, a friend of mine did it recently. It does make you wonder though, why advertise the job if they don't need anyone at that time, I guess they are readying people for when they do. Trouble is when you are out of work it's a long time to wait !

Need2

OK Thanks, yeah I heard about working the public at Southampton, a friend of mine did it recently. It does make you wonder though, why advertise the job if they don't need anyone at that time, I guess they are readying people for when they do. Trouble is when you are out of work it's a long time to wait !

I know how you feel.
One thing made me think at the interview. I said that in the SWT Customer Charter dated 2016 (i think it's called that!) it stated that SWT were committed to having a guard on every train. The guard manager replied "That was written in 2016, who knows what will happen IF we get awarded the new contract?"
Might be a short career!

Lasbrisas

I know how you feel.
One thing made me think at the interview. I said that in the SWT Customer Charter dated 2016 (i think it's called that!) it stated that SWT were committed to having a guard on every train. The guard manager replied "That was written in 2016, who knows what will happen IF we get awarded the new contract?"
Might be a short career!

Hmmm, interesting, and what with all the other TOCs going that way you could be right.

Thomas choo

Have just received the great news that I passed the DMI. I'm over the moon to say the least, no sign of a medical date as of yet tho.

jballz72

Was hoping if someone could shed some light on my application, have applied for a Driver position with SWT, last week it was showing as open but as this week has changed to in process, does this mean I've made the sift and will go to assessments or are they still considering my application? Thought I'd ask as some of you guys have been through the process, any information would be very appreciated.

Thomas choo

Was hoping if someone could shed some light on my application, have applied for a Driver position with SWT, last week it was showing as open but as this week has changed to in process, does this mean I've made the sift and will go to assessments or are they still considering my application? Thought I'd ask as some of you guys have been through the process, any information would be very appreciated.

Hi jballz. In my experience "in process" is a good sign. I can't guarantee it means you're through to the next stage but the ball is rolling.

jballz72

Cheers Thomas Choo, congratulations on passing DMI, sounds like a long hard process, I've practiced as much as I can for assessments and taking in as much info on the company as possible and in the coming weeks probably months knowing how long these TOC,s take to get the ball rolling hope to be in your position, once again well done.

Twedds74

Just received my rejection for Waterloo, booooo!
Never mind, just accepted a job with GTR, yay!
Just wondered if this is a coincidence that the new franchise was awarded today??

Thomas choo

Cheers Thomas Choo, congratulations on passing DMI, sounds like a long hard process, I've practiced as much as I can for assessments and taking in as much info on the company as possible and in the coming weeks probably months knowing how long these TOC,s take to get the ball rolling hope to be in your position, once again well done.

You're going about it the right way so just keep doing what you're doing and stay positive and be confident and you'll soon have the opportunity I'm sure.

Thomas choo

Just wondered if this is a coincidence that the new franchise was awarded today??

Sorry to hear that tweeds but congratulations with the job offer with GTR. How do you feel the interview went? As intense as everyone says?

djsmith200

What a great position to be in! Well
Done!

jballz72

I also applied for Staines back in December, but did notice my application has gone from " open " to " in process " on my status on my online application page. Have you checked yours of late? I may ring them in the coming days not sure where we stand as SWT has lost the franchise, if I hear anything I'll post on here.

Lasbrisas

I also applied for Staines back in December, but did notice my application has gone from " open " to " in process " on my status on my online application page. Have you checked yours of late? I may ring them in the coming days not sure where we stand as SWT has lost the franchise, if I hear anything I'll post on here.

I check it every day, my Guard application says "In Process" and train driver says "New". I have been a bit nervous about chasing them up, let me know how you get on as it will be interesting to know what the position is considering the takeover.

Twedds74

Sorry to hear that tweeds but congratulations with the job offer with GTR. How do you feel the interview went? As intense as everyone says?

I never had an interview with SWT, got a rejection from application stage, only took them 4 months to get back to me! Oh well, their loss I suppose!

joystick

I applied over 5 years ago, passed the online sift, rang them at regular intervals and last year they lost my application ! applied again Dec 2016 nothing so far !

Lasbrisas

I never had an interview with SWT, got a rejection from application stage, only took them 4 months to get back to me! Oh well, their loss I suppose!

I would be gutted, I have been waiting 3 months so far, did they give you any feedback ?

Val3ntine

Good morning. I was wondering if anyone could assist and tell if me if SWT do the fault finding test? And also do they require enhanced or national standard scoring for their tests. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you

Twedds74

I would be gutted, I have been waiting 3 months so far, did they give you any feedback ?

Rail companies don't tend to give feedback from application stage, as it would take them ages to get back to everyone who applied and didn't get through the sift. On the plus side though, I'm starting as a depot driver with Southern at the end of July, pending passing medical in a couple of weeks, but I'm sure I'll be fine with that!

Lasbrisas

Rail companies don't tend to give feedback from application stage, as it would take them ages to get back to everyone who applied and didn't get through the sift. On the plus side though, I'm starting as a depot driver with Southern at the end of July, pending passing medical in a couple of weeks, but I'm sure I'll be fine with that!

Congratulations, I think it's wrong that these companies should keep people hanging on for so long, only then to tell people they are unsuccessful.

Jimbo12345

Invited to assesment day for Waterloo trainee driver this morning...forgot I'd even applied haha

Thomas choo

Invited to assesment day for Waterloo trainee driver this morning...forgot I'd even applied haha

Well done, nothing like a good surprise in the morning!! That's a good sign for the people that are just waiting for a medical date, it shows we will still be required.

Status
Not open for further replies.