• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Southampton Airport to Inverness

Status
Not open for further replies.

dcd

I am looking for 2 Senior Railcard Tickets from Southampton Airport to Inverness going on Friday 19th May returning on 27th May after 10:30.

What is the best I can do please.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

soil

Established Member
Quite possibly the best bet is just the Super Off Peak Return at £123.15 per person.

From SOA you can book onto the 11:00 from KGX (any connecting train from SOA is ok) to EDB for £33, which seems like a reasonable (£6.60) uplift for a one way SOA-KGX. This arrives EDB 15:17.

If you fancy a few hours in EDB, the
19:42 arr. INV 23:16 £6.60 First Advance. Otherwise the 16:33 (which is actually the 12:00 from London) is £14.20 which is a bit steep tbh

If you want the direct 12:00 from KGX, the Advance from KGX is £43.90

The 10:00 from KGX to INV changing at DEE is £30.05 from KGX

However in these latter too cases you will need to get from SOA to KGX at reasonable cost. Not easy.

So you may be better off with the flexible ticket, albeit that the ticket prices on the 27th (a Saturday) are likely to be better, though this is still unknown.

paul1609

Established Member
If you have no adversion to flying the cheapest way would be to fly on Easyjet from luton Airport. I can get 2 return tickets on the days requested for under £100 if you only have hand luggage including off peak returns from Southampton to Luton Airports it comes in at under £170 total.

dcd

If you have no adversion to flying the cheapest way would be to fly on Easyjet from luton Airport. I can get 2 return tickets on the days requested for under £100 if you only have hand luggage including off peak returns from Southampton to Luton Airports it comes in at under £170 total.

We are going for a weeks holiday in North Scotland picking up hire car in Inverness so will have more than hand luggage.

dcd

Quite possibly the best bet is just the Super Off Peak Return at £123.15 per person.

I had come to this conclusion myself, as having looked in special offers saw that VWC were offering cheap tickets if bought between 9th March and 14th March but looking at 27th May there appear to be no services on the west coast all journey options involve going to Edinburgh and down the East Coast. I think the East Coast is going to be busy hence no Advance cheap fares that day.

alastair

We are going for a weeks holiday in North Scotland picking up hire car in Inverness so will have more than hand luggage.

You could go with Easyjet from Gatwick (much simpler from where you are)on these dates for £71pp plus £32 for each checked bag(20kg). Rail Southampton to Gatwick is £16.65 return with a railcard. So that would give you a total for 2 people all-in of £206 with 1 checked bag between you or £238 with a checked bag each.

I guess a lot comes down to do you mind flying? It's obviously a massive time saving, but if it were me I know I would enjoy the train journey!

dcd

I guess a lot comes down to do you mind flying? It's obviously a massive time saving, but if it were me I know I would enjoy the train journey!

Don't mind flying but much prefer train travel and it will be good for my mileage in the Mileage Competition.

Romilly

Established Member
Despite what it says on the front page of the Virgin Trains East Coast website, Advances on their trains at weekends only appear to have been issued for dates up to and including Sunday 21st May (their weekday Advances are available into August). Their Advances for Saturday 27th May are likely to be released at around 10am this coming Friday (10th March).

(For Saturday 20th May, an Advance for Inverness to Kings X with senior railcard on the 0755 through train is currently £30.05. It's worth checking for 27th May as soon as Advances are released given that the 27th is the start of the half-term holidays.)

Last edited:

SpacePhoenix

Established Member
Looks like on the outward day, SWTs might have engineering work and on the return day both SWTs and VTEC might have engineering work so it's possible that advance tickets might not be available and you'll need to keep in mind that the rail replacement buses could be ordinary buses (for the SWT - I'd assume that VTEC rail replacement buses would actually be coaches) so will have very limited capacity for luggage

philthetube

Established Member
Looks like on the outward day, SWTs might have engineering work and on the return day both SWTs and VTEC might have engineering work so it's possible that advance tickets might not be available and you'll need to keep in mind that the rail replacement buses could be ordinary buses (for the SWT - I'd assume that VTEC rail replacement buses would actually be coaches) so will have very limited capacity for luggage

Coaches have far more luggage space than trains, I used to drive East Coast replacement services and it was never a problem,

dcd

Despite what it says on the front page of the Virgin Trains East Coast website, Advances on their trains at weekends only appear to have been issued for dates up to and including Sunday 21st May (their weekday Advances are available into August). Their Advances for Saturday 27th May are likely to be released at around 10am this coming Friday (10th March).

(For Saturday 20th May, an Advance for Inverness to Kings X with senior railcard on the 0755 through train is currently £30.05. It's worth checking for 27th May as soon as Advances are released given that the 27th is the start of the half-term holidays.)

Thanks for this I'll keep a look out next week.

Status
Not open for further replies.