• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Southeastern circular services

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kentish Paul

Took a trip from Ashford to Margate yesterday (via Canterbury). At Margate I noticed that the clockwise "rounder" service was listed as terminating at Folkstone West. This seems odd as when I joined the same service at Folkstone Central (last week) it was advertised as a St Pancras service. I guess the changeover is done at Dover.

I know false destinations are given at times (slow KX to Cambridge show Foxton) but why pick Folkstone West and not Central or even Dover?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Searle

Established Member
Depending on which train you were on, Folkestone West is the furthest station away that you are able to travel to the quickest on that train, so that's why it's displayed. You can get to Ashford International quicker on some trains by changing at Ramsgate and going via Canterbury, which is why Ashford isn't shown on the boards.

Kentish Paul

Depending on which train you were on, Folkestone West is the furthest station away that you are able to travel to the quickest on that train, so that's why it's displayed. You can get to Ashford International quicker on some trains by changing at Ramsgate and going via Canterbury, which is why Ashford isn't shown on the boards.

Totally agree why the "rounder" service is not shown as an Ashford servivce as it departs later then the direct xx:53 service via Canterbury. The fact is it is a through train and therefore perfectly ok despite showing Folkestone West as the destination. The ticket is "any permitted". Not sure now, but an any permitted ticket used to be valid by Canterbury or Dover between Margate and Ashford.

I think there were no through trains from Margate to Ashford via Dover and I am not sure of the 3 mile rule but there was no problem back in the 90s. I even caught the Inter City "Express" from Ashford to Dover with a class 47 one afternoon. Happy days. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.