• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Southeastern Mainline calls at Kent House 27/6

Status
Not open for further replies.

Southern

Anyone able to shed any light as to why the Victoria - Headcorn/Minster services are calling at Kent House this Sunday? RTT suggests that it's not to pick/up set down staff or enable anything to pass, the only thing I can think of is that it's to ferry people to/from the coast?? Appears to start with the 0957 (Headcorn) down and repeats every half hour until 0027, alternating with the Minster. Up calls begin with the 1811 (1715 ex-Headcorn) and finish with the 2311, oddly enough none of the services from Minster call in the up direction at all...the only other thing that springs to mind is the Big 7 National Scooter Rally taking place at Hop Farm this weekend.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Anyone able to shed any light as to why the Victoria - Headcorn/Minster services are calling at Kent House this Sunday? RTT suggests that it's not to pick/up set down staff or enable anything to pass, the only thing I can think of is that it's to ferry people to/from the coast?? Appears to start with the 0957 (Headcorn) down and repeats every half hour until 0027, alternating with the Minster. Up calls begin with the 1811 (1715 ex-Headcorn) and finish with the 2311, oddly enough none of the services from Minster call in the up direction at all...the only other thing that springs to mind is the Big 7 National Scooter Rally taking place at Hop Farm this weekend.

Could they be waiting for something to pass in the loops ?

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Looks like a weird bunch of engineering works. I am presuming the mainline via Grove Park is shut and these are previously trains that would start at Charing Cross - Hastings services are also going via Beckenham Junction for instance - are starting at Victoria.

1Nxx services are extensions of the usual Victoria - Ashford / Maidstone services, and 2Vxx services are the trains moved from the Mainline to Victoria.

Additionally looks like there's buses Minster - Ramsgate. But the Kent House stop does seem like a mystery considering it still receives its standard service!

Southern

Could they be waiting for something to pass in the loops ?
Doesn't look like it as they all have the standard 30 second stop

Looks like a weird bunch of engineering works. I am presuming the mainline via Grove Park is shut and these are previously trains that would start at Charing Cross - Hastings services are also going via Beckenham Junction for instance - are starting at Victoria.

1Nxx services are extensions of the usual Victoria - Ashford / Maidstone services, and 2Vxx services are the trains moved from the Mainline to Victoria.

Additionally looks like there's buses Minster - Ramsgate. But the Kent House stop does seem like a mystery considering it still receives its standard service!
Yeah, Kent Coast are to/from Victoria on both the Saturday and Sunday. And yes it is a bit baffling...

Ianno87

Veteran Member
I cannot see any obvious reason for the stop for pathing reasons.

Veteran Member
Up after 6pm until 11 so would suggest it's to move a crowd, from where to where is anyone's guess...
I can't find those on RTT - though they are on NRE!

A major event in Cator Park or at the HSBC Sports Ground might justify something but all Google produces is a morning walk and a club cricket match respectively!

Southern

I can't find those on RTT - though they are on NRE!

A major event in Cator Park or at the HSBC Sports Ground might justify something but all Google produces is a morning walk and a club cricket match respectively!

Ok so plot twist, not only have the Up been removed, the down Headcorn services are also gone as well, just leaving hourly calls in the down Minster from 1027 until 0027...I wonder if someone read this thread and flagged it up :p

Update: Interesting to note that the above train appears to have had it's Kent House stop removed, instead passing around 3 minutes earlier than planned...the remaining services at 27 are recorded as stopping, with some lengthy looking wait times compared to the usual Networker stock. Given the abrupt removal of the Headcorns and the Up evening calls, seems like an error was made...someone more informed will probably know but is there a set amount of advance warning they need to provide before altering a calling pattern?

Last edited:

CarrotPie

Looks like it's happening again - this Saturday (10th July 2021), Ramsgate-London Victoria trains via Dover Priory are also calling at Kent House.

Link to a service on Realtime Trains
However, looking at this week's engineering works map, (attached below), there is no obvious reason why. There is all weekend engineering work again between Petts Wood and Hither Green, disrupting SEML services, and Saturday work between Bromley North and Grove Park.

Attachments

• SE21 Week15 Eng work weekly web version v2.pdf
    117.4 KB · Views: 12

Veteran Member
However, looking at this week's engineering works map, (attached below), there is no obvious reason why. There is all weekend engineering work again between Petts Wood and Hither Green, disrupting SEML services, and Saturday work between Bromley North and Grove Park.
There wasn't an obvious reason last time either.... Kent House has limited value as an interchange, and is not fully accessible.
https://www.recenttraintimes.co.uk/ doesn't show the extras stopping on 27 June.

CarrotPie

There wasn't an obvious reason last time either....
https://www.recenttraintimes.co.uk/ doesn't show the extras stopping on 27 June.
The service linked in post #13 would normally go to Charing Cross up the SEML. Some services will go via New Beckenham, which makes me wonder why these services won't.

Kent House has limited value as an interchange, and is not fully accessible.
Begs the question why the aren't being stopped at Beckenham Junction for tram and Southern interchange. It's being stopped in platform 1, which is the UPL, so it could be for pathing resons.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
It's not unheard of for NR to add in a station stop instead of pathing. And to then forget to mark it as a non-traffic stop.

It then falls to the TOC to check the schedules they are offered to make sure this hasn't happened, but as an entirely manual process, errors and omissions do happen...

Ianno87

Veteran Member
It's not unheard of for NR to add in a station stop instead of pathing. And to then forget to mark it as a non-traffic stop.

It then falls to the TOC to check the schedules they are offered to make sure this hasn't happened, but as an entirely manual process, errors and omissions do happen...

Though I cannot see any obvious reason for the pathing at all, nor any reason why it specifically needs to be at, or anywhere near, Kent House (as a pretty random station on the route - it's not even a Mandatory Timing point)

Peregrine 4903

Established Member
Though I cannot see any obvious reason for the pathing at all, nor any reason why it specifically needs to be at, or anywhere near, Kent House (as a pretty random station on the route - it's not even a Mandatory Timing point)
It is a mandatory timing point. It got added in recently.

Wilts Wanderer

Established Member

There has been a recent trend with this sort of thing in NR schedule planning, for a pathing reason sometimes miles down the line. (Not saying it specifically is in this case, just that it might be.)

Veteran Member
The service linked in post #13 would normally go to Charing Cross up the SEML. Some services will go via New Beckenham, which makes me wonder why these services won't.
Capacity issues at the CHX end with the various engineering works?
Begs the question why the aren't being stopped at Beckenham Junction for tram and Southern interchange.
Neither of those are that useful towards London Bridge.
It's being stopped in platform 1, which is the UPL, so it could be for pathing resons.
1/2min stops are an odd way of doing pathing, but you may be right. The UPL may be easier for non-DOO dispatch (or to avoid confusing pax waiting for the stopper?).

Status
Not open for further replies.