• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Southern at Guildford - No longer operating?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Surreytraveller

On Moderation
They do, the trains just happen to be red instead of green with Gatwick Express written on the side. All part of GTR though.

Agree they should stop at Clapham Junction
They actually go to Eastbourne. Due to the rebuilding at Gatwick Airport, they stopped the splitting and attaching at Haywards Heath of Littlehampton/ Eastbourne trains, and they all just go to Littlehampton.
The Brighton trains then became Eastbourne trains

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

infobleep

Veteran Member
On Platform 9? It Looks very familiar
Yes. Probably still there.

The 18.15 Waterloo to Portsmouth via the new line becomes an 18.15 Waterloo to Fareham via Woking from the December 2022 change anyway.
Will it still go via Guildford?

They actually go to Eastbourne. Due to the rebuilding at Gatwick Airport, they stopped the splitting and attaching at Haywards Heath of Littlehampton/ Eastbourne trains, and they all just go to Littlehampton.
The Brighton trains then became Eastbourne trains
There are still one or two and split each day.

Last edited:

nw1

Established Member
Back in the 80s of course there were no trains from Guildford platform 1 to anywhere other than the Cobham route. But "Takt" style good connections, half-hourly, at Effingham Junction applied for passengers who wished to travel that way. Every Cobham line service was announced at Guildford as "change at Effingham Junction for Epsom".

In 1982/3 for example (the timetable is available on Timetable World, and I have a CWN for this year), the Effingham Junction terminator alternated between Waterloo (SWD service) and Victoria (Central Division service), so places like Sutton would have had an hourly service to Guildford by good connection.

Looks like Effingham had very extensive sidings in those days too (CWN mentions Roads No.2 to No.7; but no No.1?). Not sure if these still exist, I've only traversed the Cobham line in daylight once, and that was in 1988.

That is really good news. Can never have enough trains stopping their. I would say that though.:D

Presumably allowed by the non-existence of the 1818, so there's a spare path behind it.

More generally, why have the regular off-peak fast ('81') services on the Portsmouth Direct never called at Clapham, from what I gather? Right back to 1985 when Clapham calls started appearing on mainline SWD services.

Last edited:

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Looks like Effingham had very extensive sidings in those days too (CWN mentions Roads No.2 to No.7; but no No.1?). Not sure if these still exist, I've only traversed the Cobham line in daylight once, and that was in 1988.
The sidings at Effingham Junction (a fairly substantial shed) are now used by Network Rail for MPVs rather than SWR for suburban rolling stock.

infobleep

Veteran Member
Back in the 80s of course there were no trains from Guildford platform 1 to anywhere other than the Cobham route. But "Takt" style good connections, half-hourly, at Effingham Junction applied for passengers who wished to travel that way. Every Cobham line service was announced at Guildford as "change at Effingham Junction for Epsom".

In 1982/3 for example (the timetable is available on Timetable World, and I have a CWN for this year), the Effingham Junction terminator alternated between Waterloo (SWD service) and Victoria (Central Division service), so places like Sutton would have had an hourly service to Guildford by good connection.

Presumably allowed by the non-existence of the 1818, so there's a spare path behind it.

More generally, why have the regular off-peak fast ('81') services on the Portsmouth Direct never called at Clapham, from what I gather? Right back to 1985 when Clapham calls started appearing on mainline SWD services.
Indeed but that spare path has existed for since the 18:18 was pulled. I guess the issue was the train going via Cobham.

nw1

Established Member
The sidings at Effingham Junction (a fairly substantial shed) are now used by Network Rail for MPVs rather than SWR for suburban rolling stock.

OK, interesting, thanks.

I guess it's been many years since trains terminated there regularly, so there isn't the need for the sidings to store passenger stock anymore. By contrast in the early 80s 2tph terminated there, and more than that in the peak hours.

Going back further than that, in 1967 certain morning Guildford via Cobham services divided there and left 4 cars in the sidings between the peaks, to be picked up again by services to Waterloo in the late afternoon.

HamworthyGoods

Established Member
OK, interesting, thanks.

I guess it's been many years since trains terminated there regularly, so there isn't the need for the sidings to store passenger stock anymore. By contrast in the early 80s 2tph terminated there, and more than that in the peak hours.

Going back further than that, in 1967 certain morning Guildford via Cobham services divided there and left 4 cars in the sidings between the peaks, to be picked up again by services to Waterloo in the late afternoon.

It was a Network SouthEast economy drive closing Effingham shed and traincrew depot.

Status
Not open for further replies.