• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Southern Class 455 Withdrawal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thebaz

I looked for the farewell tour train on RTT so I could see what time it roughly passes my neighbourhood but it doesn't appear to be up there. Am I being thick?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Class455

Established Member
I looked for the farewell tour train on RTT so I could see what time it roughly passes my neighbourhood but it doesn't appear to be up there. Am I being thick?
No you’re not being thick. It hasn’t been uploaded onto NR systems yet and I don’t think they will until the day of the tour.

Jturner98

I’m a regular user of the London Bridge to East Croydon service ( I get on a New Cross Gate) does anyone know what service this is will be on Monday? I know it will be a 377 but unsure whether it will be a 4,5 or 8 carriage train

Class455

Established Member
Anyone who was hoping to catch a 455 to Tattenham Corner but missed out, you’re in luck tonight. According to a reliable source, 5832 and 5818 are set to work an an additional return service from London Victoria to Tattenham Corner. Reason is currently unknown.
2P55 20:03 London Victoria to Tattenham Corner (all stations up to Coulsdon Town)
2P56 21:45 Tattenham Corner to London Victoria (stopping pattern currently unknown)

OliverH68

No you’re not being thick. It hasn’t been uploaded onto NR systems yet and I don’t think they will until the day of the tour.
Should be up tonight - a lot of stuff from a T-1 bid to NR usually is upstream by Thurs/Fri night after 9pm.

Reason is currently unknown.
2P55 20:03 London Victoria to Tattenham Corner (all stations up to Coulsdon Town)
2P56 21:45 Tattenham Corner to London Victoria (stopping pattern currently unknown)
Probably because 455s haven't had any booked work to Tattenham in years, so gives them 1 last chance to venture down that way!

Last edited:

LA50041

Established Member
I’m a regular user of the London Bridge to East Croydon service ( I get on a New Cross Gate) does anyone know what service this is will be on Monday? I know it will be a 377 but unsure whether it will be a 4,5 or 8 carriage train
Predominantly 5 cars on the NXG-ECR. If you have a particular time in mind I can look it up for you

gazr

Anyone else think that the yellow grabrail that's above the area where the doors are located, could be flipped right way up and made into a coffee table with some glass/Perspex?

YSTrains

On Moderation
On the UK rail log, 455820 is reported to be at wolverton works for maintenance. What will happen to it now?

ScotRail158725

Established Member
Anyone else think that the yellow grabrail that's above the area where the doors are located, could be flipped right way up and made into a coffee table with some glass/Perspex?
Definitely, might be a but big for a coffee table though

Thebaz

Although I'm not really into rolling stock I will miss the 455s when they're gone. It does feel in some way like the last vestiges of my childhood being swept away. I have many memories from the 80s - the huge wraparound yellow ends they initially came with, the hope one would turn up instead of an EPB whenever I had to catch a train.... Also remember when the NSE liveries started being introduced then the introduction of the svelte blue seat covers. I remember having an argument with my dad at Sutton after a bit of spotting as we attempted to return home - a 455 in fresh NSE arrived but I refused to get on it (citing it was "too dirty" LOL I must have been 7 or 8) because I wanted to wait for 5850 (which had the blue seats), to return from Epsom even though I knew it was almost certainly diagrammed for the other route to London. The halcyon days ahhhh.

phantomphish

Probably because 455s haven't had any booked work to Tattenham in years, so gives them 1 last chance to venture down that way!

'Due to driver shortage' :lol: A couple of uncovered turns and a lack of space in Stewart's Lane (any excuse, basically!)

From a very reliable internal source who shall not be named for the Thursday 12th evening special workings:

2H54 18.15 Beckenham Jnc to London Bridge 8 455

On arrival to form

1Z55 19.01 London Bridge to Victoria additional (vice 5H55)

5H55 19+01 London Bridge to Stewarts Lane cancelled, train run instead as:-

1Z55 19.01 London Bridge to Victoria 8 455 additional, calling at Streatham Hill and Victoria only

In order to prevent 8 455 being dumped at Victoria from 20.00 (this has nothing to do with the fact 455s haven’t been to Tattenham for nearly three years and this’ll be the last opportunity), the following additional trains will run:-

2Z55 20.03 Victoria to Tattenham Corner all stations via Norbury 8 455 additional (5832 / 5818)

2Z56 21.30 Tattenham Corner to Victoria all stations via Norbury 8 455 additional (5818 / 5832)

If there are any similar odd working tomorrow I may well be on board, although I do have 9 hours riding 455's booked for Saturday. And somewhat ironically, my trains to and from VIC before and after the railtour are ... yes ... 4-car 455s :lol:

Farewell the workhorses, and Croeso i Cymru o_O

Mikey C

Established Member
They absolutely can if that is what they have agreed with the DfT. Someone did point out that one philosophy is to try and push the Southern loadings onto Thameslink because of the fixed formation trains which can carry many people.
It's going to be really odd to have some services formed with 12 car 700s, with loads of standing space to hoover up people, with other having far more comfortable, but short formed 377s, with far less standing space. A bit back to front really, as the short trains are the ones which will need more standing space, especially on Metro routes in south London.

physics34

Established Member
It's going to be really odd to have some services formed with 12 car 700s, with loads of standing space to hoover up people, with other having far more comfortable, but short formed 377s, with far less standing space. A bit back to front really, as the short trains are the ones which will need more standing space, especially on Metro routes in south London.
I think they need to consider reconfiguring metro 377s

brad465

Established Member
I suppose that's one advantage of long fixed formations, when making service length cutbacks any services with such stock operating is almost immune (probably not immune to frequency cutbacks though).

Mikey C

Established Member
I think they need to consider reconfiguring metro 377s
Or swap with Southeastern? Or even take some 701s from SWR?

The use of 377s on Southern metro routes feels odd, when you consider the metro stock being used elsewhere or that will be in service soon, such as the 376s, 378s, 700s, 701s, 707s, 710s, 345s. All designed for quick boarding, and with lots of standing space

phantomphish

For any night owls around London, there is a planned 12 car 455 ECS move from VIC to Stewart's Lane on Saturday night / Sunday morning - 5B52 booked to leave at 01:54 (but it is ECS so could possibly run earlier). Formed of three different ECS inwards after the 455 passenger workings finish forever o_O

physics34

Established Member
For any night owls around London, there is a planned 12 car 455 ECS move from VIC to Stewart's Lane on Saturday night / Sunday morning - 5B52 booked to leave at 01:54 (but it is ECS so could possibly run earlier). Formed of three different ECS inwards after the 455 passenger workings finish forever o_O
Thay must be the 00.25 from vic, 00.25 from LBG and 00.40 from vic coupled up‍

Class 466

Established Member
The paths are now in for 377163 & 164 to return to Southern tomorrow. Whilst not strictly related to 455s retiring (more to do with the next withdrawal).

5P46 11+40 Ramsgate EMUD to Victoria

5Y47 14+13 Victoria to Selhurst T&RSMD

Class455

Established Member
Interestingly 455801 is unallocated today. I suspect this will be one of the units used on tomorrow’s tour?

Intro298

Those two cars also have a more original interior with original bulkheads, which none of the 455s
The paths are now in for 377163 & 164 to return to Southern tomorrow. Whilst not strictly related to 455s retiring (more to do with the next withdrawal).

5P46 11+40 Ramsgate EMUD to Victoria

5Y47 14+13 Victoria to Selhurst T&RSMD

What is the next withdrawal?

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Interestingly 455801 is unallocated today. I suspect this will be one of the units used on tomorrow’s tour?
It has already been suggested that other units are allocated - https://www.railforums.co.uk/threads/bls-the-metro-marauder-sat-14-may-22.229512/#post-5653593

What is the next withdrawal?
Given there is only today and tomorrow for the Southern 455s and most of the services tomorrow are diagrammed for 4-car operation, around half the remaining units will be withdrawn tonight and the rest tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.