• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Southern Daysave

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alex C.

Quick Question

If I purchase a southern DaySave for £15 (for use on a Sunday) can I pay £5 and benefit from first class travel for the whole day?

The website at http://www.southernrailway.com/tickets-and-fares/ticket-types/first-class-travel/ says

"Weekend First is available in conjunction with all Standard Class tickets and passes, but you must have purchased your Standard Class ticket for your journey before you travel.

If you need to change onto another Southern train as part of your journey, you pay one Weekend First fare for the whole journey, rather than one fare for each part of the journey."

I can't quite work this out - I'm planning on using it to save money from Portsmouth to London but I may have a stop off in Brighton...

My guts telling me it will be £5 per train I'm on but can anyone confirm?

As an alternative, is there a first class DaySave product? I can't see one so again, I'm guessing not :)

Thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
The question is, "What is your journey?"

Each journey will cost £5 to upgrade.

maniacmartin

Established Member
Fares Advisor
To me, a journey is a series of legs which when combined fall within a single permitted route that's wholly valid within the DaySave area. Southern's opinion might be different though.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
What I was trying to get at is that stretch the definition of a "journey" if the OP wishes, but something like Brighton - Victoria - Horsham - Littlehampton - Brighton is not going to be accepted as one journey.

sarahj

Established Member
What I was trying to get at is that stretch the definition of a "journey" if the OP wishes, but something like Brighton - Victoria - Horsham - Littlehampton - Brighton is not going to be accepted as one journey.

The first class £5 upgrades can only be sold as point to point, so the upgrade ticket will be issued and show, eg Victoria to Brighton. I've only ever sold them on main line trains using the phrase. 'This is first class, your ticket is valid for standard only. You can either leave, or pay £5 each to upgrade'. Some leave, some pay up. As i sell the upgrade, I remind them that it is valid on this train only, and esp not on the return trip.

Deerfold

Veteran Member
As i sell the upgrade, I remind them that it is valid on this train only, and esp not on the return trip.

That's not what the Southern website says (fine about not being valid for the return).

http://www.southernrailway.com/tickets-and-fares/ticket-types/first-class-travel/

If you need to change onto another Southern train as part of your journey, you pay one Weekend First fare for the whole journey, rather than one fare for each part of the journey.

Weekend First is only valid for a single journey so if you want to travel in First Class for a return journey you would need to pay another £5.

Status
Not open for further replies.