• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Southern have opened a new Trainee Train Driver Vacancy for all LONDON DEPOTS

Status
Not open for further replies.

tcsilva

Well, they asked me the same question, and I passed the interview... But, I probably wouldn't read much into that...

I think the main thing with the interview is just to give good examples of situations that you were involved and how it relates to the job that you are applying. I was expecting a lot of different questions than the ones that were asked, specially after watching endless videos on how to prepare from interview and etc. But in the end, I felt that those questions made are the ones that reveal all that they need to know about you.

Even if you had short answer, you might have told them all that they need to hear...

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

redbutton

Is them asking what depo would you prefer a good sign? Or is that a generic question?

I believe it's a generic question, because some people make it to the interview stage still not knowing where the work locations are.

Kukua

I believe it's a generic question, because some people make it to the interview stage still not knowing where the work locations are.

Why would they have applied if they didn't know where the work lications were?

TDK

Established Member
Is them asking what depo would you prefer a good sign? Or is that a generic question?

They are asking to see if you are within 45mins - 1 hour from your chosen depot if you are not then you won't get the job.

A-driver

Established Member
They are asking to see if you are within 45mins - 1 hour from your chosen depot if you are not then you won't get the job.

Not entirely true, plenty of TOCs recruit trainees from a long distance away or take on trainees and re-assign them to a depot a long way away during training.

redbutton

Not entirely true, plenty of TOCs recruit trainees from a long distance away or take on trainees and re-assign them to a depot a long way away during training.

Southern doesn't. They have a strict 30-minute max commute policy.

A-driver

Established Member
Southern doesn't. They have a strict 30-minute max commute policy.

I can assure you that there are numerous exceptions to that...and yes they definately have taken on trainees who live more than 30mins away at time of applying, I know of at least 3 in the last few years and I was one myself a number of years ago.

Vicpaul

I myself am further than 30 minutes away and I know they have taken on people since me that live even further away

Holt0121

Received my contract on Thursday however they got my personal details wrong and my start date is shown as Monday 19th June.... The 19th June is a Thursday.... Tried ringing numerous times with no answer... Getting slightly disillusioned with the whole process to be honest.... Anybody else had any similar problems?

Kukua

Received my contract on Thursday however they got my personal details wrong and my start date is shown as Monday 19th June.... The 19th June is a Thursday.... Tried ringing numerous times with no answer... Getting slightly disillusioned with the whole process to be honest.... Anybody else had any similar problems?

Oh wow...congratulations nevertheless

387star

On Moderation
They could have saved themselves a lot of work by having the recruitment split into those who already have passed the psychometrics and those they will need to assess.

How about prioritising those working for the company already or Indeed those already in the industry rather than people from outside who have no idea what the railways are really like

If those applicants aren't deemed good enough fair enough move on to externals
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Wow thats a lot lol...thanks for the heads up

To be honest surprised the figure isn't more like 5000
Hey guys, I'm brand new to the forum so bear with me!

Does anyone know if there are any projected vacancies for Trainee Driver jobs at Barnham or Brighton coming up soon? I live too far away from Selhurst or Victoria and was told the application for the last job back in Feb would not be considered due to that and to wait for B'ham or B'ton.

Any help would be appreciated!!

Barnham is very rare as far as I know as a popular depot and recently took on a trainee

Kukua

How about prioritising those working for the company already or Indeed those already in the industry rather than people from outside who have no idea what the railways are really like

If those applicants aren't deemed good enough fair enough move on to externals

You have to start from somewhere to get into the railway industry, everyone deserves a chance to apply into any type of industry they like, i disagree with your statement and i think it is very selfish of you to think in that way.

I work for Network Rail atm but that does not mean i should/will get the job because of that, i could lack in various things that a Retail manager could ace in.

Holt0121

Monday 16th June..... Happier now...

Anyone else starting then??

Kukua

Monday 16th June..... Happier now...

Anyone else starting then??

Congrats, hopefully that will b me soon, its been a week and no update i think i might give them a call :(
Southern have just opened a new position in Barnham - Trainee Train Driver

tcsilva

Anybody been to their medical lately? How long did you had to wait for your MMI...?

Many Thanks

rob12

I had my medical a while ago now, Seems some have received a contract already, or maybe not? HOLT says he has had his contract through or he hasn't had the right contract yet?

Seems difficult to know exactly where everyone is in the process but the only thing I can say is that I know there is no quick solution to getting the job you want in rail game, I have become used to a long process so just stick with it buddy I am sure you will get your offer soon

How long ago was your medical?

Last edited:

tcsilva

I had my medical a while ago now, Seems some have received a contract already, or maybe not? HOLT says he has had his contract through or he hasn't had the right contract yet?

Seems difficult to know exactly where everyone is in the process but the only thing I can say is that I know there is no quick solution to getting the job you want in rail game, I have become used to a long process so just stick with it buddy I am sure you will get your offer soon

How long ago was your medical?

Thanks for your reply rob21...

It was only a week ago on the 26th. I was just asking as mere curiosity... and maybe with a dash of excitement... being so close to actually getting a rail job... Just really excited... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.