• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Southern have opened a new Trainee Train Driver Vacancy for all LONDON DEPOTS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kukua

Has anyone heard anything on the London ones? Is it possible to keep the Brighton & London posts on seperate threads?

Yes can we, i clearly stated LONDON DEPOTS...thanx

But GoodLuck to those who have been invited to the Brighton vacancy
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I have been invited to an Assesment YAAAY

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Jones

Good luck to all who have been invited! :D

Quick question, are you all local to the depot?

Kukua

Good luck to all who have been invited! :D

Quick question, are you all local to the depot?

Yhh i live 10mins away from London Bridge and about 30mins-45mins away from any London Depot really

railton

Good Luck!!!

Has anyone else applied for this and not heard back? I applied on the 12th Feb but my online status still shows 'Online-New'. Keeping everything crossed but I understand close to 1000 have applied for about 10 positions :cry:
Typical !!!

I rushed it the other night and submitted an application anyway. It wasn't my best quality but will have the hump if I get sifted because of their technical gremlins!

I'm in the same boat! I put a rushed application in on 12th February as it was the closing day. I logged in two days later to find it was extended to 20th!

I was unable to retract and edit my app so will just have to wait and see. I did however attach a cover note explaining this on advice of recruitment staff.

Anyone know how long it takes to hear back?

Last edited:

Greg1205

I rang them up and a few days ago the lady dealing with recruitment was off sick then so they were having a delay, so hopefully it will be soon.

Vicpaul

We are recruiting 200 drivers alone this year and the volume of applicants is far more than a 1000.

Speaking of volumes that's the main issue here is getting through them all. Sit tight and hopefully receive some good news soon

Kukua

Has anyone else applied for this and not heard back? I applied on the 12th Feb but my online status still shows 'Online-New'. Keeping everything crossed but I understand close to 1000 have applied for about 10 positions :cry:

I'm in the same boat! I put a rushed application in on 12th February as it was the closing day. I logged in two days later to find it was extended to 20th!

I was unable to retract and edit my app so will just have to wait and see. I did however attach a cover note explaining this on advice of recruitment staff.

Anyone know how long it takes to hear back?

Yhh i have my part 2 assessment is next week ... Goodluck
We are recruiting 200 drivers alone this year and the volume of applicants is far more than a 1000.

Speaking of volumes that's the main issue here is getting through them all. Sit tight and hopefully receive some good news soon

Vicpaul are you a driver manager?

JB25

Yhh i have my part 2 assessment is next week ... Goodluck

Vicpaul are you a driver manager?

If he was my driver manager I'd be asking to change managers or depot. :lol:

railton

Thanks... Sitting tight. Everything crossed :D

hockers193

Hey guys, I'm brand new to the forum so bear with me!

Does anyone know if there are any projected vacancies for Trainee Driver jobs at Barnham or Brighton coming up soon? I live too far away from Selhurst or Victoria and was told the application for the last job back in Feb would not be considered due to that and to wait for B'ham or B'ton.

Any help would be appreciated!!

redbutton

Don't worry about this- I've been given a course date and am expecting to receive my final contract any day now, and my website application still says "Online-New".

I think they're doing everything on paper in that office until the bugs in their new IT system get sorted out.

railton

Don't worry about this- I've been given a course date and am expecting to receive my final contract any day now, and my website application still says "Online-New".

I think they're doing everything on paper in that office until the bugs in their new IT system get sorted out.

That's reassuring. Do you remember when you applied and how long it took to hear back? Just knowing I've passed the first stage would be great

Jones

Spoke to HR today and was told that the London vacancy is still actively being sifted and it could be a while. They had several thousand applications.

( the Brighton sift has stopped as they don't see a vacancy till July)

So either way....not much going on. :|

Kukua

Spoke to HR today and was told that the London vacancy is still actively being sifted and it could be a while. They had several thousand applications.

( the Brighton sift has stopped as they don't see a vacancy till July)

So either way....not much going on. :|

Did they tell you when abouts the London vancancies will be?

Jones

They just said that it could be a while. They were overwhelmed apparently.

Guessing they'll go for the quick and simple option of taking the nearest to London against the relocators?
:(

theageofthetra

On Moderation
They could have saved themselves a lot of work by having the recruitment split into those who already have passed the psychometrics and those they will need to assess.

EmZa

That's reassuring. Do you remember when you applied and how long it took to hear back? Just knowing I've passed the first stage would be great

I think IanfromNYC applied the same time as me which was for the advert that closed on 28th Oct 2013 (correct me if I'm wrong).
According to Resourcing the volume of candidates that got through the first sift was so high that the assessment invites had to be split.
Resulting in some like IanfromNYC getting all the way through to job offers (congratulations by the way) and others like me still being assured by Resourcing that their online application was good and they will get an invite to an assessment soon (last update I got was that I should get an invite before the end of March).
So it really is a case of be patient and it will happen when it happens.

redbutton

That's right, I applied in Oct and assessed in January.

I think the main thing everyone should keep in mind is that this isn't just one or two vacancies. They've been hiring a class of eight people every other month for the past year, and I believe they plan on doing the same until the franchise runs out next year.

However, they do have thousands of applicants in the pool now, many of whom already live in London, so I wouldn't get my hopes up for someone who is planning to relocate. I've heard they're quite strict on the 30-minute rule.

Also, someone asked for the HR number- if you've been contacted by them, you can look in the email signature or at the top of any letterhead.

railton

That's right, I applied in Oct and assessed in January.

I think the main thing everyone should keep in mind is that this isn't just one or two vacancies. They've been hiring a class of eight people every other month for the past year, and I believe they plan on doing the same until the franchise runs out next year.

However, they do have thousands of applicants in the pool now, many of whom already live in London, so I wouldn't get my hopes up for someone who is planning to relocate. I've heard they're quite strict on the 30-minute rule.

Also, someone asked for the HR number- if you've been contacted by them, you can look in the email signature or at the top of any letterhead.

I didn't realise they were taking on so many drivers! Hopefully my application makes the grade. I'm a twenty minute drive from Selhurst so the distance certainly won't be an issue. Good luck to all that have applied

sarahj

Established Member
Just a note for those wondering about getting to the depots early, trains serve selhurst 24/7, with all night trains from Victoria to Gatwick/three bridges making staff stops at Selhurst. so, if you are near Clapham, Purley, even horley you can get car park passes for most southern stations (not sure about clapham mind) and get there by train.

Note on car park passes, for most stations its one pass, for one car. though we at Brighton are allowed to have two cars registered into the system for the ANPR car park. You can also sometimes designate two stations to use. I live in Brighton, so dont, but many staff have passes for use say at both Lancing and Brighton, or Three Bridges and Brighton. So when you apply for your pass, pick your car carefully. Dont pick the car say the other half might want to use. Remember also that stations also have parking for motorbikes and scooters. A good way to get to work, and many mess rooms/signing on areas have places to change, or even to store your helmet. You will also get a locker to store stuff that will be big enough for leathers etc.

railton

Put my application in on 12th February and I''ve been checking daily online to see if there are any updates.
Hopefully won't have to wait too much longer...

Vicpaul

Just a note for those wondering about getting to the depots early, trains serve selhurst 24/7, with all night trains from Victoria to Gatwick/three bridges making staff stops at Selhurst. so, if you are near Clapham, Purley, even horley you can get car park passes for most southern stations (not sure about clapham mind) and get there by train.

Note on car park passes, for most stations its one pass, for one car. though we at Brighton are allowed to have two cars registered into the system for the ANPR car park. You can also sometimes designate two stations to use. I live in Brighton, so dont, but many staff have passes for use say at both Lancing and Brighton, or Three Bridges and Brighton. So when you apply for your pass, pick your car carefully. Dont pick the car say the other half might want to use. Remember also that stations also have parking for motorbikes and scooters. A good way to get to work, and many mess rooms/signing on areas have places to change, or even to store your helmet. You will also get a locker to store stuff that will be big enough for leathers etc.

If your referring to meteor passes they're being taken away

Southern313

Are we getting different staff car park passes then? We at Barnham have always had three choices for stations and can put two car regs on one pass.

JB25

Selhurst apparently you can pick three stations to use Car Parks too.

Status
Not open for further replies.