• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

southern rail shunters

Status
Not open for further replies.

seanIRL

hi guys does any one know what class shunters southern rail are using now?
and any spec you have on them - horse power, weight e.t.c
thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Well I'm not aware of any shunter's that Southern own as it were however if I were to hazard a guess I would assume they use this and possibly this (when its not on Thunderbird duties).

I'm sure someone will be along shortley with more info.

mallard

Established Member
There are one or two Mk1 EMUs used as "tractor units" in 3rd rail land, but aside from that any shunting required would most likely be an 08.

FCC does own the last remaining class 03 on the mainline, based at Hornsey in London, which may or may not qualify as "southern".

The class 09s are historically linked with the southern, but can be found elsewhere these days as they seem to be used interchangeably with 08s.

seanIRL

Well I'm not aware of any shunter's that Southern own as it were however if I were to hazard a guess I would assume they use this and possibly this (when its not on Thunderbird duties).

I'm sure someone will be along shortley with more info.

thanks for that pal im going for a job as a trainee shunter driver need to know a bit about the engine . why would southern rail not own their own shunters do they borrow them or something?

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Well I don't know for sure as I can't find a fleet list. But assuming they use 08s they would lease them either from a Freight Company or a ROSCO, they will operate them but might not necessarily own them.

My guess is that Southern borrow as needed shunter's from wherever. If your looking for information and advice on what to expect I would suggest posting a thread in this sub-forum here.

Last edited:

Fincra5

Established Member
thanks for that pal im going for a job as a trainee shunter driver need to know a bit about the engine . why would southern rail not own their own shunters do they borrow them or something?

I know that Southern have one Class 09 Shunter at Lovers Walk (Brighton) and GatEx has one class 73.

12CSVT

Established Member
Since privatisation a shunter does not necessarily mean a class 08 or 09 any more. For example SWT had a Sentinal industrial shunter at Northam depot, some freight companies use withdrawn class 37s, 47s, 60s, and some EMU depots use EMU stock as shunters.
I don't think the 03 at Hornsey has worked since it failed at a Nene Valley Railway diesel gala a few years ago.

seanIRL

thanks for all the info guys. i passed my apptitude/concentration/faultfinding/reaction tests and the first interview on monday . next is a second interview on tues where i imagine they will see if ive done any research on the shunters i might be driving. the job is in battersea so any1 know which shunters they use there??

Status
Not open for further replies.