• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Southern Vectis in Dorset?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cymroglan

Forgive me if this is the wrong place to post this question.... The young lady in my life told me she saw a Southern Vectis single decker bus with Isle of Wight branding running what she described as a normal stopping service in the Blandford Forum area of Dorset at lunchtime today 29/09/20. How could this be? I should add that she has a good eye for detail. I don’t know much about buses myself but am interested in this sighting!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

baza585

Go South Coast. Company of many liveries. They've never been great at matching livery to route, but Covid19 has meant many inter company transfers for capacity reasons. It may or may not be repainted before it is transferred again.......

Gloster

Established Member
Normally Southern Vectis uses small single-deckers on the Number 1 between Newport and Cowes as nothing else can get through the arch into the Red Funnel terminal (and they can only just manage it). Because of COVID they are terminating the 1 at Carvel Lane (Marks & Sparks to you and me) and using double-deckers, often Solent Blue vehicles normally used for school’s contracts. As the single-deckers don’t have enough room to allow social distancing, I haven’t seen them about much. Presumably they have lent them to another member of the Go-Ahead group.

They did have one long single-decker, but I haven’t seen that for a week or two.

Cymroglan

Thanks both! My lady love is relieved that it wasn’t her having a ‘moment’!

henairs

Hi there,
Would appear to be two of these in the Blandford/Dorch area and another two at Poole at least.
Some years ago some Southern Vectis livered Solos were also in use on the mainland having been transferred across the Solent,
Cheers,
Mike R

Cymroglan

Once more, I am in awe at the depth of knowledge & understanding of those who answer questions like this I’m also really grateful for your generosity in sharing it with us. I really must make an effort to brush up on my bus knowledge, it’s a fascinating other world!

Flange Squeal

Established Member
Looks like most, of not all, of the short Enviro 200s have made their way over to the mainland. Certainly the following have been spotted in service within Damory territory or Poole: HW64 AWZ (2709), HW64 AXC/F/G/H/J (2712/4/5/6/7) and HF66 CHH (2751).

Unsure if they are permanent transfers, or just part of a fleet shuffle across the Go South Coast group of companies to get capacity where it’s needed most. Certainly at least one mainland vehicle is currently having a little holiday, in the form of Bluestar Enviro 200 HF65 CXH (2735) which is currently working on the island. There may well be others.

fgwrich

Established Member
Looks like most, of not all, of the short Enviro 200s have made their way over to the mainland. Certainly the following have been spotted in service within Damory territory or Poole: HW64 AWZ (2709), HW64 AXC/F/G/H/J (2712/4/5/6/7) and HF66 CHH (2751).

Unsure if they are permanent transfers, or just part of a fleet shuffle across the Go South Coast group of companies to get capacity where it’s needed most. Certainly at least one mainland vehicle is currently having a little holiday, in the form of Bluestar Enviro 200 HF65 CXH (2735) which is currently working on the island. There may well be others.

There is certainly some changes happening in GSC at the moment, as at least 2 Vectis Short 200s have been repainted at Hants and Dorset Trim into the Salisbury Reds scheme. A friend of mine was speaking about this the other day, Go South Coast currently has Vectis vehicles working on the Mainland, Bluestar on the Island, Bluestar in Plymouth, Brighton in Plymouth, Brighton in Newcastle and More in Southampton.

It's times like these when you can understand why companies like First have a more standardised livery :lol:

Not long after I posted the above comment, Go South Coast Enviro 200 2710 has been released from Hants and Dorset Trim in Salisbury Reds livery.

Last edited:

Gloster

Established Member
There is certainly some changes happening in GSC at the moment, as at least 2 Vectis Short 200s have been repainted at Hants and Dorset Trim into the Salisbury Reds scheme. A friend of mine was speaking about this the other day, Go South Coast currently has Vectis vehicles working on the Mainland, Bluestar on the Island, Bluestar in Plymouth, Brighton in Plymouth, Brighton in Newcastle and More in Southampton.

It's times like these when you can understand why companies like First have a more standardised livery :lol:

Not long after I posted the above comment, Go South Coast Enviro 200 2710 has been released from Hants and Dorset Trim in Salisbury Reds livery.

Which suggests that Southern Vectis doesn’t expect its buses to be terminating at the Red Funnel terminal in Cowes for a while. Only the smallest can get into it: the Dennis Darts used to, but many ended up with scrapes.

Gloster

Established Member
2007, the long single decker (see #3), was in Newport Bus Station today, still in Southern Vectis livery. In the last couple of days I have seen a Salisbury Red liveried d/d on a Newport town service and a Bluestar one on a schools run. Bluestar are short of 1007 as it caught fire on the M27 last week: pictures on Hampshire Fire & Rescue Twitter (sorry, mods, I have no idea how to do a link).

upasalmon

On Moderation
Even the veteran Bristol K5G open topper CDL 899 visited Southampton for a running day!
As I have said about the Isle of Man buses can be driven on to ro-ro ferries so transfers within Go South Coast are easy, barring cost.

Status
Not open for further replies.