• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Spa Valley Railway - Locked Doors

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ted633

Had a day out around Tunbridge Wells yesterday and included the Spa Valley Railway as part of it (very nice ride on the Thumper). One question is why are all the doors locked on one side of the train? If you board/alight on Eridge and Tunbridge Wells West, you are free to do so, but at Groombridge the platform is on the other side and the platform staff have to unlock the doors (and lock behind you) when boarding and alighting. Is this because that side of the train faces the mainline at Eridge and prevent doors being opened onto it or is there another reason?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

zwk500

Veteran Member
Is this because that side of the train faces the mainline at Eridge and prevent doors being opened onto it or is there another reason?
Exactly this reason. It is a condition of operating next to NR that their doors are locked. As the Spa Valley don't have central door locking, they manually lock the doors at Groombridge prior to departure.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Exactly this reason. It is a condition of operating next to NR that their doors are locked. As the Spa Valley don't have central door locking, they manually lock the doors at Groombridge prior to departure.

Quite a lot of doors to do on a Thumper then?

steamybrian

Established Member
That would not be allowed on NR without evacuating the coach.
Really- despite central door locking. Have been on steam specials on NR with mark 1 stock where the doors were locked.
At Groombridge the platform is the same side as the NR line between Birchden Jn and Eridge.

On Moderation
Really- despite central door locking. Have been on steam specials on NR with mark 1 stock where the doors were locked.
At Groombridge the platform is the same side as the NR line between Birchden Jn and Eridge.
The point in this case is that the doors are locked using the T-key/budget lock and there's no emergency egress facility.

Ted633

The point in this case is that the doors are locked using the T-key/budget lock and there's no emergency egress facility.
The doors on the other side are unlocked

Thank you. Was what I thought then. May be better if there were notices to say so? I was there trying to open the door wondering what was wrong, before the platform staff appeared with a T key!

Solent&Wessex

Established Member
The doors on the other side are unlocked

Thank you. Was what I thought then. May be better if there were notices to say so? I was there trying to open the door wondering what was wrong, before the platform staff appeared with a T key!

There are notices to say so, somewhere, as I visited the other week and saw some, but can't remember where. Might have been at Tunbridge Wells or their timetable leaflet. Or possibly even on the website. But I've seen it somewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.