• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Spain - Morocco daytrip

Status
Not open for further replies.

route101

Established Member
Anyone done a daytrip from Spain to Tangiers? Looking at doing this.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Vespa

Established Member
You can travel independently or use an organised tour trip, I went on one 19 years ago which took you round the highlights including the city wall, part of the countryside, I think food was included (but do ask) and various shops which interesting enough don't buy anything tho.

You can book at Algiceras port direct, travel shops or through your rep.

The second language in Morrocco is French not Spanish which may be useful.

I travelled independently to Ceuta wasn't wasn't a problem, an interesting city in it's own right originally Portuguese before Spain got it.

P Binnersley

I went in 2010 with FRS from Tarifa to Tangiers (Town). They offer a free connecting bus from Algeciras to Tarifa. You can also book a tour of Tangier with them which we found to be good.

Ferries from Algeciras go to Tangier (Med) which is 45km east of Tangiers, I'don't know what public transport is available between the two. There is a one hour time difference between Spain and Morocco for some of the year (including Summer) and ferries departures are in local time.

Last edited:

superalbs

Established Member
Warning if you do use the Tarifa-Tangier ferry, you have to get your passport stamped on the boat BEFORE it arrives. It's a very strange system, and I somehow missed all of the announcements, so ended up in the office lol.

Richard Scott

Established Member
You can get a bus between Tangier Med and Tangier, it's fairly frequent but quite busy and, to be honest, by the time you've factored this in it may not be worth your while.

Railsigns

Established Member
I did a day trip to Tangier Med from Algeciras in 2014. I booked the ferry ticket myself before leaving home. There are infrequent trains between Tangier Med and Tangier. A taxi journey takes about 45 minutes.

superalbs

Established Member
I am not aware of any trains on that route now, unless anyone has different info?

ShadowKnight

Think it's only once a day each way now. Can't understand why it's not a more frequent service as looks like quite a new station at Tangier Med.
A translation of the french Wikipedia page of Tangier med station suggests low patronage of the line, particularly when there is currently only one intermediate stop (and the Tangier suburban station was closed to enable the high speed line services south).

Jamesrob637

Established Member
Did it from La Linea de la Concepción in November 2014. Public bus to and from Algeciras, ferry to and from Tangier Med and train to and from Tangier Ville. All very civilised.

rvdborgt

I am not aware of any trains on that route now, unless anyone has different info?
In 2017, there was one train per day from Tangier Med to Tangier, consisting of one old 2nd class carriage and 1 old locomotive. Not sure if it still operates. I can't fid any trace of it anymore on the ONCF website.

Status
Not open for further replies.