• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Spain's "free travel" and half-price rail and bus deals

Status
Not open for further replies.

deltic

Established Member
Struggling to understand Spain's present transport discounts. As I understand it free travel is available on local and regional bus and rail services if purchasing a €10 season ticket and you then use it for at least 16 journeys in a month, ie the €10 is refunded. Presumably the €10 ticket is still good value if you make fewer trips and don't get a refund. There are some articles that suggest intercity buses are also free under the same system but its not clear how, can't imagine many people buy a Madrid to Barcelona season ticket. While high speed rail fares were reduced by 50% last year, is this reduction still in place? I was under the impression that the fares system was dynamic, ie moved in response to demand. So is it the full fare that is reduced and the equivalent of advance fares remain broadly as before. The Spanish system seems to have far less coverage than the German €49 fare and finding clear information is not straightforward.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
I think you have to nominate your one commuter route that gives you effective free travel for multiple journeys, it's not a "go anywhere" ticket like those in DE and AT.
So it's like a "free" season ticket for that route only.
And it excludes intercity services (AVE, Avant, Alvia etc) and open access services, but I think MD (Media Distanca) regional trains are allowed up to 300km.

From what I can see these arrangements apply until the end of 2023, and they are still working on the longer term.
The political system in Spain is unclear after a general election so it may take some time to agree forward policy on rail subsidies.

Interestingly, the scheme is not mentioned in the seat61 web site's pages on Spain.

dutchflyer

Established Member
Senior-over there already from 60 (as long as that lasts, in LT=Lithuania its from 70 f.e.)
Trains/Rail=RENFE: have to buy a Golden card =Carta Dorada (just a small stub with your name on it, for about 6€ and then get 1 yr of discount travel (though for AVE/IC long advance booked low fares may still work out cheaper-just like in DE=Germany). It is not automatic renewed like in most other countries having such a thing, indeed even the UK. Applies also to Cercanias short dist. rides.
Bus: from what I have seen till now-mostly limited to the 2 main cities and a few costa´s in Andalucia: there MAY be some discount, but if it applies some registration and very often only for locals=those with a fixed registered adress over there.
This near free local travel is indeed about what LNW-GW above explains, from what I have understood-and hence probably also limited to those with a local adress and bank account.
Hint: the general touristy forum on tripadvisor-the countries listings- often have these questions already answered and even better as this railforum-it may even be as a fixed steady post. Always worth a quick check before asking here.

Status
Not open for further replies.