• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Spalding[SPA]/Peterborough[PBO] to Reading[RDG] (Day return Sat 07 April)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SouthStand

Hoping to watch the whites away at the Madejski, just wondered if anyone had any suggestions to beat the day return price.

NOTE: the return leg can be just as far as Peterborough if necessary.

As always, thanks for the suggestions!

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LexyBoy

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Do you have any Railcards? Are you happy to have a longer journey if cheaper?

edit: some easy savings:

From Peterborough:

Through fares:
Peterborough-Reading Super Off Peak Return £54.80
Spalding-Reading Super Off Peak Return £61.60

Splitting at London:
Peterborough-London FCC Only Super Off Peak Day Return £18.00
London-Reading Off Peak Day Return £16.50
2 x Oyster PAYG singles on the Tube £4 (bus - the 205 - would be £2.70)
Total: £38.50

If you hold a Network Railcard or Gold Card, splitting at Huntingdon as well gives a small benefit:
Peterborough-Huntingdon £5.80 Off Peak Day Return
Huntingdon-London £17.00 (NSE £11.20) Off Peak Day Return
London-Reading £16.50 (NSE £10.90) Off Peak Day Return
Total (NSE): £31.90

You'll need to take FCC between Peterborough and Kings Cross, obviously. Any train from Paddington to Reading.

If you want to go from Spalding, add on the (rather expensive!) £7.50 Off Peak Day Return fare.

Last edited:

extendedpaul

A day return from Huntingdon to Reading is £25.10 with a Network Railcard without the need to split or use oyster. £12.70 day return from Spalding to Huntingdon via Peterborough.

jkdd77

If you do want to be able to use the "fast" East Coast services between Peterborough to London, consider buying a Spalding- Peterborough Off-Peak Day Return, a Peterborough- London Zones 1-6 Off-Peak Day Travelcard, plus a Boundary Zone 6- Reading Off Peak Day Return (estimated at around £53 in total, although I don't have the exact figure to hand).

Personally, I don't think the extra cost is worth it, but it's up to you.

island

Veteran Member
If you do want to be able to use the "fast" East Coast services between Peterborough to London, consider buying a Spalding- Peterborough Off-Peak Day Return,
£7.50 ANY PERMITTED
a Peterborough- London Zones 1-6 Off-Peak Day Travelcard,
£34.50 ANY PERMITTED
plus a Boundary Zone 6- Reading Off Peak Day Return (estimated at around £53 in total, although I don't have the exact figure to hand).
£10.50 VIA SLOUGH

Total £52.50, good estimate!
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
If you hold a Network Railcard or Gold Card, splitting at Huntingdon as well gives a small benefit:
[snip]

With a Gold Card the Oyster PAYG singles are £1.30 each :)

jkdd77

Thanks for the figures island.

If East Coast services are indeed desired, for an even cheaper option, Spalding- Reading advance singles for 7 April currently appear to be available on the 09:02 from Spalding (arr. Reading 12:48) and the 18:02 from Reading (arr. Spalding 20:54) for £20 each way.

With these tickets, stopping short at Peterborough would not be permitted; if you wished to finish your journey there rather than continue to Spalding, you would need a Reading- Peterborough advance single on the 18:02 (arr. Peterborough 20:19) at £17.50 instead.

If it was my money, and I didn't have any railcard, I'd probably buy:
Spalding- Peterborough Off Peak Day Return rte Any Permitted £7.50
Peterborough- London Zones 1-6 FCC Only Super Off Peak Day Travelcard £24.00
(which, as I understand it, is valid on any operator's service within the Travelcard zones)
Boundary Zone 6- Reading Off Peak Day Return rte Slough £10.50
Total: £42.00

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.