• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Spalding [SPA] to Burnley Man Rd [BYM] 19 Nov

Status
Not open for further replies.

SouthStand

Trying to organise tickets for the match, but no afternoon return advance fares showing for this journey. I checked in my lunch hour within 2 hours of them being released last Thursday but nothing.

Can't believe they sold out within a few hours, is it possible no allocation of advance fares has been provided? Interestingly, nothing in First class is showing either so I suspect the latter is true.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Intermodal

Established Member
I wonder how long I can make my location on this f
I'd believe it's highly likely they'd sell out if a match is on. There is fares for the day, just not the specific time period you want. Do you want some help trying to find a cheap open fare for the return?

Edit; To clarify are you looking for fares from SPA to BYM or from BYM to SPA?

SouthStand

I'd believe it's highly likely they'd sell out if a match is on. There is fares for the day, just not the specific time period you want. Do you want some help trying to find a cheap open fare for the return?

Edit; To clarify are you looking for fares from SPA to BYM or from BYM to SPA?

Whilst there are Leeds fans everywhere, i'm not sure there will be a massive influx along the ECML. Most of course, will be crossing the Pennines from Leeds. If you amend the search to SPA to LDS it's the same.

No problem SPA to BYM, it's the return that's a no go :)

Intermodal

Established Member
Whilst there are Leeds fans everywhere, i'm not sure there will be a massive influx along the ECML. Most of course, will be crossing the Pennines from Leeds. If you amend the search to SPA to LDS it's the same.

No problem SPA to BYM, it's the return that's a no go :)

What time does the match end? I'm looking at some tickets from stations nearby - still some fares available for those.

SouthStand

What time does the match end? I'm looking at some tickets from stations nearby - still some fares available for those.

The match should finish at around 14:30, the only restriction in terms of time is the last PBO to SPA is 20:28.

Intermodal

Established Member
The match should finish at around 14:30, the only restriction in terms of time is the last PBO to SPA is 20:28.

BYM - PBO £11.15 dep 1527 ar 1831

PBO - SPA £6.90 dep 1836 or 2028 arr 1902 or 2054.

I'm sure you could look up stations near BYM too but that's just what I've found at a quick look. There is the possibility of a long wait in PBO but if you're willing to risk that then I'd say that'd be a good combination.

SouthStand

Can see what's going on here.

The 15:27 from BYM only gives a 4 minute connection at PBO so it won't show it. The next SPA train is a long wait so it won't show it.

The 16:27 from BYM corresponds to a sold-out East Coast service so it won't show that.

the 17:27 from BYM arrives in PBO after 20:28 so it won't show that either :(

Intermodal

Established Member
Can see what's going on here.

The 15:27 from BYM only gives a 4 minute connection at PBO so it won't show it. The next SPA train is a long wait so it won't show it.

The 16:27 from BYM corresponds to a sold-out East Coast service so it won't show that.

the 17:27 from BYM arrives in PBO after 20:28 so it won't show that either :(

Buy your advance ticket now then go and buy the PBO - SPA ticket at a convenient time for you at a ticket office or such, even on the day, there is no need to book online now, it's a standard day single.

SouthStand

Buy your advance ticket now then go and buy the PBO - SPA ticket at a convenient time for you at a ticket office or such, even on the day, there is no need to book online now, it's a standard day single.

Thanks Andrew, it's just annoying that it will cost 6 to 7 quid more than it should due to unfortunate connections and very fast sales on the only service that has a good connection.

Sigh.

Trying to organise tickets for the match, but no afternoon return advance fares showing for this journey. I checked in my lunch hour within 2 hours of them being released last Thursday but nothing.

Can't believe they sold out within a few hours, is it possible no allocation of advance fares has been provided? Interestingly, nothing in First class is showing either so I suspect the latter is true.

Your right, no way would it be sold out that quickley, they clearly havent released any and i believe this is because there are planned engineering works in the weekends of November involving the line been shut between Newark and Peterbrough from about mid afternoon sat, til later on sunday, with diversions via Lincoln, be warned this could add 2 hours, maybe more onto your journey time. Ive only got a conversation with a driver the other day to base this on and ive seen nothing in writing myself but if i were you i would leave it a couple of weeks, by then if this is the case the ammended timetable will have been confirmed with network rail and you will have a better idea of times and prices. It may be better to go via Man Pic on X country?

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I bought an Advance from London to York on 19th Nov, the journey time is nearly 4 hours. I wouldn't normally bother with 1st, but it wasn't a huge amount more, and given the journey time I thought it was worth it! Looks like it goes via the "joint line" between Peterborough and Newark!

Anyway as for your problem, I tried East Coast's "text only" option and specified extended interchange times. The result? A fare priced around £14 but with a departure around 8pm and a journey via Leeds, and then an overnight TPE to Manchester, then the first train in the morning to Blackburn, changing there for Burnley Central and a walk up the hill to Manchester Road! There was a replacement bus involved, can't remember which service the bus was now.

Status
Not open for further replies.