• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Special Offers Discussion

Haywain

Veteran Member
That may well vary from account to account as my Airtime Rewards account offers 5% on LNER purchases. Still a decent offer.
5% for me as well, and no problem with it tracking although it can take a while to appear.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

A quick query on this - is it necessary to nominate times for outward and return legs?

It doesn't seem to state so explicitly, just that changes can be made 'fee free'. I'd be sure of the time of my outward leg, but not the time of my return.

nedchester

Established Member
A quick query on this - is it necessary to nominate times for outward and return legs?

It doesn't seem to state so explicitly, just that changes can be made 'fee free'. I'd be sure of the time of my outward leg, but not the time of my return.

I think you can state the outward but there’s no compulsion to travel on it.

YorkC

If you try to buy through the TPE link on the promotional page it lets you buy a Club 55 ticket without specifying a train outward/return & the T&Cs say that no reservation is needed.

ServerHoster

Virgin Trains Ticketing is offering a free hot drink at Greggs if you buy any train ticket from them before the 22nd December.

So if you want a hot drink for 50p, just get a child single from Lichfield TV to City.

Attachments

• D61FC576-3CCA-4E06-9874-4B0976BB3FEC.jpeg
    D61FC576-3CCA-4E06-9874-4B0976BB3FEC.jpeg
    384.8 KB · Views: 69
  • 4E3F0D3A-A1C4-46BD-92FF-95A196CDBE3C.png
    4E3F0D3A-A1C4-46BD-92FF-95A196CDBE3C.png
    326.9 KB · Views: 70

_toommm_

Established Member
EMR sale exclusively on their website - £20 standard returns, £40 first class returns:

Claim your £20 Standard Class return, or £40 First Class return ticket

Explore London for less this winter! We are offering you a £20 Standard Class return, or £40 First Class return tickets for travel on EMR services to and from London St Pancras between 11 January - 12 February 2023.

Cletus

Established Member
Just had an email from Northern.

Something BIG is coming...

And as a valued Northern customer, we wanted to let you in on the action before anyone else. Can you guess what it is?

Mark the date in your calendars, set your reminders and make sure you’re ready…

Tuesday 10th January. You do not want to miss this.

Neither will your friends or family – so spread the word with them below and make sure they're subscribed to hear all about it tomorrow.

ServerHoster

50p flash sale according to this news article https://www.thestar.co.uk/news/tran...to-and-from-sheffield-starting-at-50p-3979152

Trains Sheffield: Northern Rail launches 'flash sale' with trips to and from Sheffield starting at 50p​

Northern Rail says it is selling ‘five million’ train tickets across South Yorkshire and the North starting at 50p in a flash sale this week. The sale runs until 4pm on Friday (January 13) and is valid for travel between January 17 and March 10 on Northern services only.

tommy2215

Established Member
Well... if they sell everyone tickets for £20 each and they cancel the train, that's £20 to refund everyone. So the TOC gets nowt.

If they sell people tickets for 50p, the majority of people won't bother claiming that back. So the TOC gets 50p per passenger! :D

Iskra

Established Member
That link isn't working for me

Well... if they sell everyone tickets for £20 each and they cancel the train, that's £20 to refund everyone. So the TOC gets nowt.

If they sell people tickets for 50p, the majority of people won't bother claiming that back. So the TOC gets 50p per passenger! :D
The TPE method...

skyhigh

Established Member
1 million 50p tickets, 3 million £1 tickets and 1 million £1.50 tickets I think (from memory)

Kite159

Veteran Member

Wouldn't it be a case of the TOC getting nothing and the DfT getting that 50p when a train gets cancelled (or delayed) and someone can't be bothered claiming it back? ;)

MidsMike

Last time the Northern offers were a lot more restricted destinations wise compared to before. Do we reckon it will be the same this time?

mangyiscute

Established Member
any chance we could get one of these sales down south?
Although I'm not sure the south can be complaining too much at the moment, at least we have more than 50% of train running

miklcct

On Moderation
EMR sale exclusively on their website - £20 standard returns, £40 first class returns:

Seems not attractive at all as they are limited for travel to/from London, which means anyone who lives north of St Pancras like me can't benefit from it as travel on EMR will be to/from Luton Airport Parkway instead.

ScotTrains

Shame Northern don't go further north to Scotland! We haven't had a sale for a while, although ScotRail are doing £5 first class upgrades this month.

AlastairFraser

Established Member
Right, booked mine. My observations are: they are freely available on many routes on weekends, but outside peaks/more popular (as would be logical) on weekdays e.g. they're available outside the peaks from Preston to Burnley Barracks, but not on the Blackpool Nth to York that stops at Burnley MR.

Winthorpe

It's worth noting the quite substantial list of routes that are excluded:

Exclusions apply on the following routes​

• Leeds to Manchester
  • Manchester to Liverpool
  • Halifax to Hull
  • Sheffield to Manchester.
  • Leeds to Nottingham
  • Leeds to Lincoln
  • Leeds to Sheffield via Moorthorpe
  • Leeds to Sheffield via Castleford
  • Leeds to Chester
  • Leeds to Wigan
  • Leeds to Huddersfield from 29th January
- Flash sale tickets are available on routes which currently sell advanced tickets.
- Some dates / routes are restricted due to engineering works or major events.
- Some times / dates / routes are restricted due availability on those trains.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Booked Chester-Manchester Vic in mid-Feb, £1.50 each way (£0.50 on very early/late trains).
Chester-Leeds was £6.25 each way (with railcard) which looks like the regular Advance fare.

Leeds-Carlisle on the same dates was £0.50 each way on all trains.