• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Special Offers Discussion

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Haywain

Veteran Member
But, unless you're familiar with the usual advance fare prices for said journeys, I'm not sure what you expect to find.
I would imagine that someone who runs a ticket retailing website might have an idea what they will be looking at. You may not know that, of course, but help is being offered and you could be a bit more gracious about it.

800Travel

Russel

I would imagine that someone who runs a ticket retailing website might have an idea what they will be looking at. You may not know that, of course, but help is being offered and you could be a bit more gracious about it.

The journeys I quoted are journeys I regularly make, the prices being quoted via the usual booking engines are in line with the advance fares usually available...

If there are fares available at upto 50% for these journeys that I'm not seeing, then please, point me in the right direction...

Saturday 24th for £9.00?

No cheaper than the advance fares usually available.

Edit, is this £9 return, in which case yes that's cheaper than usual, however I'm looking now and can only see £9 out and £11 return, which is around the price I'd normally pay a month in advance.

I actually booked tickets on Friday and just checked the priced I paid, before the sale started, for the same journeys on Feb 17th, I paid exactly the same as the fares currently on offer.

Last edited:

Silver Cobra

LNER's sale seems to be as restrictive as it was when the last GBRS ran in 2022. No availability of the sale fares on Fridays, Saturdays or Sundays, and where they are available it is only on northbound services after 0930 (except for Kings Cross and Stevenage where the 'peak' restrictions are used instead of the blanket 0930 restriction) and southbound services arriving into Kings Cross/Stevenage after 1008.

One other restriction that doesn't seem to be mentioned on their GBRS page is that it seems the fares are only available on direct services. The fares not being available for journeys involving connecting travel with other TOCs is fair enough, but I haven't been able to find any sale fares for journeys wholly on LNER services other than direct services with no changes. For example, looking at Stevenage to Newcastle, there is no availability for this journey for most of the day, even when the journey involves using LNER to Peterborough/Doncaster and changing to another LNER service to continue onward to Newcastle. Effectively in this case, the only sale fares available from Stevenage to Newcastle are after 8pm when there are a few direct services. I admit I have only looked at Stevenage in this regard, so other stations could have sale fares available that involve changing between LNER services en route.

ServerHoster

Northern only seem to be discounting selected Advance tickets. Even at the discounted prices two Advance singles are still more than 50% of an Off Peak Day Return on the journeys I've tried.
Yep, Northwich to Manchester is £4.00 each way when booked early enough in advance.
The rail sale discounts this to..... £3.80 each way.
An amazing 5% saving

Kite159

Veteran Member
I managed to get Nottingham - St Pancras using a split advance in the sale for £16 on a direct train (rather than messing around with changing at Long Eaton or Kettering like some options were showing as last night when I checked for around £25-£35). I'm happy with that.

Although I noticed the Sale advances for Wakefield - Nottingham were only a pound or so cheaper which I turned down as it's worth getting into Nottingham a couple of hours earlier for the extra pound.

Chiltern006

Can’t get anything for Carlisle to Edinburgh, still staying the same prices as normal

That being said, that is for TPE however that is best connection wise

CyrusWuff

Established Member
Tamworth - Euston 07:18, Euston - Tamworth 20:30, any Saturday in Feb.

But, unless you're familiar with the usual advance fare prices for said journeys, I'm not sure what you expect to find.
Sale prices look to be £4.50 Single on London Northwestern or £9.00 on Avanti, subject to availability.

Looking on the GWR site, London Northwestern are only offering Sale tickets on the 0608 from Tamworth that day, then nothing until 1456. Leaving Euston they're only available on the 0643, 0746 or 0846. For Avanti, they're only available on the 0649 or 0718 from Tamworth, and the 0633 from Euston.

davews

Yes it seems as usual with these offers they do nothing for us with railcards. There are as expected no tickets available from Martins Heron. I did find Reading to Oxford at £5 each way but add the cost of travel to Reading.... A day return Martins Heron to Oxford with senior railcard is just £11.40 with no advance booking, go figure.

A S Leib

Can’t get anything for Carlisle to Edinburgh, still staying the same prices as normal
I've found Newcastle – Edinburgh for ~£8 return and even without the sale Carlisle – Newcastle advances for <£4 each way aren't uncommon, although when the any permitted off-peak day return with a railcard's £26, the extra two hours of journey time might seem less attractive.

CyrusWuff

Established Member

That being said, that is for TPE however that is best connection wise
Looks to be £4.50 Single for TPE, and Avanti aren't offering them on that flow.

A S Leib

Looks to be £4.50 Single for TPE, and Avanti aren't offering them on that flow.
Avanti's more expensive for Edinburgh from Penrith; £11 vs £5.50 for TPE, so an Avanti return from Penrith is only £3 less than an Avanti off-peak day return and £8 below the any off-peak day return.

Hophead

Established Member
Are Thameslink taking part? Using the GBRS landing page and perusing "trains from" Gatwick, the "trains to" list reveals nothing for the likes of Cambridge, Hitchin & Peterborough. Typing "bed" doesn't bring up Bedford, just Bedhampton & Bedminster.

Jamesrob637

Established Member
Sale prices look to be £4.50 Single on London Northwestern or £9.00 on Avanti, subject to availability.

Looking on the GWR site, London Northwestern are only offering Sale tickets on the 0608 from Tamworth that day, then nothing until 1456. Leaving Euston they're only available on the 0643, 0746 or 0846. For Avanti, they're only available on the 0649 or 0718 from Tamworth, and the 0633 from Euston.

Nuneaton to London can be had for a tenner even non rail sale!

MrJeeves

Established Member
Are Thameslink taking part? Using the GBRS landing page and perusing "trains from" Gatwick, the "trains to" list reveals nothing for the likes of Cambridge, Hitchin & Peterborough. Typing "bed" doesn't bring up Bedford, just Bedhampton & Bedminster.
Lots of fares to/from London. I can get flexible Thameslink only tickets from my local station to London Terminals for £8.80.

AY1975

Established Member
Is Transport for Wales taking part in the sale?
Yes, looks like they are at least according to the Rail Delivery Group's central booking page (I tried entering Cardiff Central to Tenby). It would also appear that Grand Central is but not Hull Trains or Lumo (at least if you enter King's Cross to Hull or Edinburgh on the central booking page it only comes up with LNER, not HT or Lumo).

Apart from that, AFAIK the only other English TOC not taking part is Merseyrail.

1D54

Just booked a return Stafford - Glasgow Central and the rail sale advance is dearer than the advance single on the return trip.

Medicy

Lots of fares to/from London. I can get flexible Thameslink only tickets from my local station to London Terminals for £8.80.
Only for off-peak day returns towards London (not the reverse) was what I found looking from Cambridge

Hophead

Established Member
Only for off-peak day returns towards London (not the reverse) was what I found looking from Cambridge

And neither for tickets through London so far as I can see from my brief investigations (from the south anyway).

Silver Cobra

Thameslink's GBRS page states that only off-peak day return tickets to London and only selected routes are part of the sale, which I believe was also the case during the previous sale.

Tickets must be puchased 7 days in advance and are subject to availability. Promotional tickets are available on Off-Peak Day Return tickets to London only on selected routes. Please read the full terms and conditions below.

I imagine this also extends to Great Northern as well.

diy_dude

It says it's valid for journeys across England and Wales and for cross border trips into Scotland. Does this mean it won't be valid for internal trips in Scotland?

Yep that's how I read it, I guess ScotRail aren't a part of it.
I've just bought a discounted ticket from Leuchars to Edinburgh via the forums trainsplit link, so I guess Scotland is still part of Great Britain!
  • Leuchars to Haymarket, Rail Sale Advance Single, 1 adult @ £4.50, 1 child @ £2.25 (ticket restrictions), (1)

dk1

Veteran Member
Has the sale been successful does anybody know yet? Not really heard much about it personally.

RuddA

Has the sale been successful does anybody know yet? Not really heard much about it personally.
A colleague found that what GA is offering from Norwich to London was quite disappointing and is waiting for the next Hares Fares promotion instead.

Jamesrob637

Established Member

Only bought a couple of slightly cheaper Advances from Woodsmoor to Manchester Piccadilly and back on the national sale

peri

I've not found anything worthwhile from Hull, but already filled up from the Northern and TPE sales.
The best I could find was a £6 single Hull to Newcastle, and I'd use a complimentary Northern to get back on the scenic route.
A trip down south would have been nice.