• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Specific trains/services you miss

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andyjs247

Yes, I remember the existence of that one too, may have seen it once or twice - 1346 from Guildford. Think it was Mk-I stock.

Presumably the 33 hung around Birmingham all weekend, or did it go south on anything (before Sunday evening) I wonder, to be replaced by another 33 coming north on something else?
I also remember the 1246 FO Portsmouth Harbour-Leeds and that it regularly produced a 33. It was Mk1 stock. I don’t think the loco stayed in Birmingham for any length of time so presumably went back south later the same day.

There was a 1009 Birmingham to Paddington which was a regular 50 turn. It made for a good run down to Oxford for the 33 back to Brum on the 1246 ex Pompey.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Jimini

Established Member
Used to love having Virgin CrossCountry services into East Croydon.

Yep, great shout. Used to use them all the time from East Croydon to Reading. Only one stop at Kensington Olympia if I recall correctly, and cheaper fares as you didn't set foot in zone 1!

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
and then non-stop to Glasgow. 4hrs 8mins on a Pendolino was quite enough.

It was fantastic. Particularly after Preston when most people got off. And the crew took pity on those of us going the distance with several offers of booze ;)

Techniquest

Veteran Member
I used that service a few years back on an All Line Rover all nighter to avoid a hotel, with the connection from the overnight Fishguard train! I can see that part doesn’t run now, however

I used to use that Fishguard Harbour train as a taxi avoidance move if I was setting out ultra early when I was living in Swansea. My logic was it was better (and I do believe cheaper) to do a trip to Fishguard and back, just for the fun of it, than interrupting the neighbours with an early morning taxi. I had a railcard at the time so the fare would have been reasonable to Fishguard Harbour.

Jamesrob637

Established Member
Heaton Chapel and Levenshulme getting a decent Sunday service! Out of Manchester is tolerable with one 4-car Buxton per hour however why the Buxton TO Manchester cannot stop there baffles me!

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Heaton Chapel and Levenshulme getting a decent Sunday service! Out of Manchester is tolerable with one 4-car Buxton per hour however why the Buxton TO Manchester cannot stop there baffles me!
Indeed. Just 11 trains calling all day at Heaton Chapel and then Levenshulme (into Manchester Piccadilly) on a Sunday, with some fairly big gaps in the timetable, such as two calls in quick succession just after 2 p.m., and then only the one in between the next but one, which is after 8 p.m.

james60059

I think one for me has to be the 03:30 Swansea to London Paddington. I used that service more times than I care to count on various spotting trips, especially handy if I'd finished work at around 1am and I was getting a lift into town anyway. Nostalgia aplenty with that service!

Another 'miss that' for me would be the variety that used to happen on the Hereford to Birmingham/Nottingham services in the mid 2000s. I've no idea why now, looking back, but I do remember disliking 156s at the time. Oh I was a silly old sausage at the time! Even so, back then the mix of 150s, 156s, 158s and 170s was quite the lucky dip as to what you'd get.

Weirdly, they're the only two things I can think of right now. There's plenty I'm glad has changed for the better, such as no more 165/166s and 180s on the Paddington to Hereford services, and the 175s are a big step up from the 158s. I also like the 172s on the Birmingham to Hereford route, much less droning than on 170s! I also like the vast improvement to Thames Valley local services with the 387s, a huge improvement! In a weird way, for a while I kind of missed the Pacers in Cardiff, then I recently watched a video with lots of them in it and I remembered the screeching they'd make and the missing them stopped very fast!
Good service that was, used it many times in years gone by connecting from Fishguard Harbour. Changed at Bristol Parkway and back in Coventry for just after 7am. Very convenient and seemed to collect a fair number of punters en-route too

Through trains from Coventry to Leicester/Nottingham and stations through to Skegness, Lincoln and Grimsby. Nottingham/Lincoln/Grimsby now require travel on at least three different trains if using the shortest route (via Leicester) and Skegness at least four. Some of the Lincoln trains even ran through to Peterborough via Spalding or to Mansfield/Worksop. Some of them even served both Newark Castle and Newark Northgate via reversals en-route to Lincoln/Grimsby. All came to end in 2004.
Oh yes, there was some varied destinations back then from Coventry, even weekdays there was one to Worksop and Sheffield via Leicester. Got an old TT somewhere from when just before the services ended.

NSE

Established Member
The Gatwick stoppers at New Cross Gate are also sorely missed, from a personal perspective.
Funny you mention that. I was discussing this with a mate. The connectivity from East Croydon to LO is fairly poor. Yesterday I wanted to go from Surrey Quays to East Croydon (engineering works put a spanner in it regardless, but before I knew that!) and I would have loved to have gone Surrey Quays-New Cross Gate-East Croydon but it’s only stoppers even just a 15 minute semi fast would work.

Jamesrob637

Established Member
Indeed. Just 11 trains calling all day at Heaton Chapel and then Levenshulme (into Manchester Piccadilly) on a Sunday, with some fairly big gaps in the timetable, such as two calls in quick succession just after 2 p.m., and then only the one in between the next but one, which is after 8 p.m.

The Crewe and the Buxton used to call both ways! Okay there was a 45-50 minute wait for the next Buxton if you missed the Crewe, however going into Manchester it was actually more or less every half hour. And it's not as though the services themselves don't run anymore: far from it!

John C

I miss the regular hourly service on the Huddersfield-Wakefield-(Castleford), it’s a fairly regular journey i make to Wakefield, which since COVID I now have had to switch (hopefully temporary) to the 231/232 bus to avoid having to travel via Leeds. This service just runs a couple of times a day in the AM & PM peaks

Bill57p9

double headed 37’s on the sleeper on load 16
I am glad I am not the only one a bit sentimental about the early 90s Inverness & Aberdeen sleepers. 2 37s on the full load 16 including a generator van. The Night Aberdonian complete with 3 seated coaches, and usually pretty busy in summer thanks to serving Edinburgh. I specifically remember one summer when there were long term signalling problems at Haymarket which lead to the 2 37s being added at Carstairs and running via the Edinburgh Sub.

The Aberdeen sleeper is truly a shadow of it's former self.

On a far more up to date and boring (but practical) service I miss: the half hourly class 1 services between Ayr & Glasgow Central. Thanks to COVID cuts, unless you're really lucky with timing, we now have a faster service on a Sunday than the rest of the week.

Oh, and I miss ScotRail Sunday services generally...

cambsy

On Moderation
I do miss the Summer Holiday maker trains to the South West, as they used to have interesting variety of traction and stops, unlike today where everything pretty much stops the same, wether summer or rest of the year, i can remember all sort of stop patterns like Birmingham to Beyond Bristol Non stop, Birmingham to Bristol with various intermediate stops omitted.

my favourite were when the HST’s did overnight from Leeds to Newquay on a Friday night, calling only Leeds-Wakefield-Doncaster-Sheffield-Derby-Birmingham-Bristol temple Meads-Plymouth-Par then Newquay, then return the same stops, and while stopped Bristol on the overnight run, would overtake a 47 hauled service which stopped Bristol for an hour, was always a good fast run, and on the overnight run, was pretty much always quiet, so a pleasant journey.

Haulage wise i can remember doing a 45 Peak, on a Birmingham-Taunton non stopper, some 50’s to the south west, and plenty of HST’s, and the ubiquitous 47’s, had some other haulage like double headed 31’s, 37’s but cant remember the exact services they were on, was just so much more interesting back then in the 80’s and 90’s, i never travelled on it, but there used to be double headed 31’s on a MK3 Pullman set, i think from the North West, was just so much more interesting stop wise etc, and haulage wise.

eastwestdivide

Established Member
Early 1980s, the 0746 (ish) Sundays only St Pancras-Manchester. Peak and Mk1s, with many wiggly line versions in the timetable due to timetabled diversions en route.
Had a couple of trips over Woodhead on it, as well as covering (at different times) Sheet Stores-Stenson, Toton, Barrow Hill/Old Road, and once a reversal/run-round at (I think) Northenden Junction in the Manchester suburbs before the Hazel Grove chord was built.

jfollows

Established Member
Early 1980s, the 0746 (ish) Sundays only St Pancras-Manchester. Peak and Mk1s, with many wiggly line versions in the timetable due to timetabled diversions en route.
Had a couple of trips over Woodhead on it, as well as covering (at different times) Sheet Stores-Stenson, Toton, Barrow Hill/Old Road, and once a reversal/run-round at (I think) Northenden Junction in the Manchester suburbs before the Hazel Grove chord was built.
Agreed.
I once did the reverse journey (Sunday am from Manchester to London) over Woodhead, then normal route to Bedford, then Bletchley with loco change to an 85 to Euston, because Saint Pancras must have been closed. Only time I've been on the Bedford-Bletchley line, one of the few over Woodhead.

Ken H

On Moderation
The stations between Filton and Temple Meads were very long. You can still see the disused bits today. Did they have holiday extras of some sort?

Cheshire Scot

Established Member
I travelled on the Woodhead route a number of times in the mid 70's on diverted St Pancras - Manchester trains.

There must still be people in Derby, Chesterfield and Manchester who miss the weekday trains (by then just twice daily) which took the Dore curve and provided decent journey times to/from Manchester avoiding the time consuming diversion via Sheffield. The Sunday trains were booked via Sheffield, probably to form part of the core Sheffield to Manchester Sunday service.

Pacco

Discovered last weekend that the Buxton service has been reduced from 2TPH to 1. This puts Hazel Grove a 'Park & Ride' station down to one Buxton-Piccadilly and one HG-Blackpool North service per hour.

The station staff said "it's not needed" and then I promptly got on a fairly busy train. The return journey later in the afternoon was busier still.

So short-sighted.

DPQ

04.15 Brighton to Victoria that was publicly advertised as 03.50 so it could be diverted via Lewes or substituted for a bus and keep the same departure times.

Been replaced by a 04.12 Brighton to Bedford which is advertised as 04.12.

Steddenm

The overnight Class 47 Virgin CrossCountry services from Manchester Piccadilly to Plymouth. Always handy if you wanted to go to the Westcountry for a short weekend away.

Jamesrob637

Established Member
Discovered last weekend that the Buxton service has been reduced from 2TPH to 1. This puts Hazel Grove a 'Park & Ride' station down to one Buxton-Piccadilly and one HG-Blackpool North service per hour.

The station staff said "it's not needed" and then I promptly got on a fairly busy train. The return journey later in the afternoon was busier still.

So short-sighted.

Monday to Saturday, the Buxton service is 2 per hour peak and 1 per hour off-peak.

sk688

0200 Euston to Milton Keynes Central
Especially useful for a post night out trip back , wish they'd bring it back

LRV3004

I miss all the 309s round Manchester - particularly the 1631 Hazel Grove to Manchester Piccadilly as that was diagrammed for a 309 on my local line! I used to catch it regularly from Davenport to Stockport fortnightly to go and buy “RAIL” magazine - was a 13 minute connection for my train back home after buying the magazine! Happy memories!

adc82140

Established Member
I miss the 0800 fast from Maidenhead to Paddington. A 10 car class 180, which had come fast from Tilehurst, missing out Reading. I always sat in the rear coach, which was half empty. That carriage hung off the platform at Maidenhead and you had to walk through First Class to get to it. Hardly anyone bothered.

Gawd help you if you missed it though. The 0804 sardine tin from Henley to Paddington was the next in, a 2 car class 165.

Galvanize

0200 Euston to Milton Keynes Central
Especially useful for a post night out trip back , wish they'd bring it back
Is the last one still 0134 off of Euston?
Vaguely recall during the 2012 Olympics when various Additional Trains were operating, think LM as was had an even later departure at 02:34 off of London Euston.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Purely for the nostalgia value, I do miss the Metrolink T68s (got to look around the one at Crewe Heritage Centre yesterday, took me back to 5 year old me boarding one for the first time).

Status
Not open for further replies.