• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Spot the error competition

Status
Not open for further replies.

VauxhallandI

Established Member
Rather than spot the ball let’s have a game of spot the error on GA’s new set of vinyl banners and posters all over my local GA station.

Attachments

• 9307CBD2-BF97-4F15-958A-D7323508316F.jpeg
    9307CBD2-BF97-4F15-958A-D7323508316F.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 479
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Fawkes Cat

Established Member
(1) Some useful weasel words in the small print: 'Intentionally' and 'can'

(2) Assuming that we accept that the railway is allowed to charge people fares and to seek to deter those who don't pay their fares, how would we word a poster so as to give that message in simple English that could be absorbed at a glance?

6Gman

Established Member
1. GA can't fine passengers.
2. There are many circumstances where it's perfectly legal to travel without a valid ticket. (Do all GA stations have ticket machines and/or permission to travel facilities?)

Have I missed any more?

(1) Some useful weasel words in the small print: 'Intentionally' and 'can'

(2) Assuming that we accept that the railway is allowed to charge people fares and to seek to deter those who don't pay their fares, how would we word a poster so as to give that message in simple English that could be absorbed at a glance?

"You must buy a valid ticket before travel if facilities are available" ?

ta-toget

2. There are many circumstances where it's perfectly legal to travel without a valid ticket. (Do all GA stations have ticket machines and/or permission to travel facilities?)

Have I missed any more?

"You must buy a valid ticket before travel if facilities are available" ?
Doesn't give much indication of the consequences of failing to do so.
"You must buy a valid ticket before travel, if facilities are available, or you may be prosecuted and fined at court."?

furlong

Established Member
I did chuckle when I saw that poster last weekend. Either it's a "mistake" by some well-meaning "junior" employee that will be swiftly withdrawn once the DfT, amongst others, takes a dislike (but not before it's generated the publicity they might well be seeking) or there'll be another FOI request to the DfT to find out under exactly what circumstances they are now authorised to bypass due legal process without it amounting to contempt.

vinnym70

I'd say it's a publicity stunt. Most people who evade fares aren't reading posters - are they?
The whole thing fails any cost/benefit analysis in my opinion.

TravelDream

I'd say it's a publicity stunt. Most people who evade fares aren't reading posters - are they?

I disagree. The largest proportion of fare evaders in this country are the will pay when challenged crowd. This poster is obviously targeting this group.

One personal example I can never get over is an older family friend. She's a regular church-goer and a proper do-gooder/ holier than thou type. She commutes three days a week to Pontypridd station, but always with a single ticket. She says her ticket is almost always checked on her commute in both onboard and at the gate, but she finishes work after the evening rush and says the platform gates are always open and the guard never checks at that hour (and this was pre-Covid). I think she saves quite literally 50p each time.

Titfield

Established Member
It does beg the question how do you get "the message" across given all the caveats about (a) the circumstances when not being in possession of a ticket is permissible (b) the range of actions the TOC or the Courts may take.

Deafdoggie

Established Member
So how do I go about accidentally boarding a train...
We've all done it, quietly walking along minding our own business and take a short cut along a platform and step to one side and accidentally you're on a train

VauxhallandI

Established Member
How about just cutting the lie off the end.

“We will prosecute you”

Is that not simple or hard enough? It implies you will be taken to Court, what more is needed?

It’s unprofessional or it’s deliberately lying, both are possible outcomes from the railway sadly.

py_megapixel

Established Member
The thing is, if it said "issue youu a penalty fare notice" rather than "fine you", people would be whinging about how that wording is too technical and not suitable for passengers unacquainted with the system.

VauxhallandI

Established Member
The thing is, if it said "issue youu a penalty fare notice" rather than "fine you", people would be whinging about how that wording is too technical and not suitable for passengers unacquainted with the system.
Is prosecute you, not enough?

furlong

Established Member
Well the irony wasn't lost on me that the poster I saw was at an entrance to a platform where there should have been a standard Penalty Fares poster but wasn't. By displaying that non-standard poster instead, they had taken away the option of lawfully charging a Penalty Fare to any passenger who began their journey at that station. A poster that creates a loophole that helps to undermine its message.

adc82140

Established Member
I would change the last paragraph from "we will prosecute or fine you" to "you could end up in court". Equal deterrent value, and factually correct.

NSE had some good ones back in the day "get a ticket, not a criminal record"

VauxhallandI

Established Member
I would change the last paragraph from "we will prosecute or fine you" to "you could end up in court". Equal deterrent value, and factually correct.

NSE had some good ones back in the day "get a ticket, not a criminal record"
Yep

"we will prosecute you and you could end up in Court" would work for those who don't appreciate the word prosecute

scrapy

Established Member
By the legal definition of 'fine', this is something only a court can issue. However several dictionaries define 'fine' as a payment for doing something wrong, or similar, in which case the poster is correct as they have not stated they are using the legal definition and any out of court settlement or penalty fare is just that.

nw1

Established Member

Also I note that the permit to travel machines on some stations (Beaulieu Road) only accept cash.

Given that maybe not everyone always carries cash these days, could you be PFed (I presume prosecution would never happen as that would be too silly) for not buying a permit to travel due to having no cash?

(Beaulieu Road permit machine was broken when I last used the station as an origin point as it happened, but it's an interesting question)

Haywain

Veteran Member
Also I note that the permit to travel machines on some stations (Beaulieu Road) only accept cash.

Given that maybe not everyone always carries cash these days, could you be PFed (I presume prosecution would never happen as that would be too silly) for not buying a permit to travel due to having no cash?

(Beaulieu Road permit machine was broken when I last used the station as an origin point as it happened, but it's an interesting question)
As South Western Railway don't operate a penalty fare scheme, you could not be penalty fared. Wrong, they do!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.