• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

SPT Tendered Routes

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
It has already been stated that the 398 is not a SPT service, therefore discussing it here is off-topic.

callumg

Presumably the short 200MMC vehicles at Glasgow Citybus are ScotRail owned.
I’m not sure, they are currently up for sale. I had heard somewhere that the new tender had suggested it had to be electric buses operating the service

Last edited by a moderator:

AlexanderPS

SPT not replacing the Dunns cancellations. McNairn covering commercially. They have got a bus on loan to Dunns just now.

Also look to possibly saving some money as McNairn has Registered a 247 from Coatbridge to Cumbernauld.

• PM2002842/29 Registered

MCNAIRN'S COACHES LTD.
    Route: Coatbridge South Circular Rd to Cumbernauld Town Centre (central way) via Monklands Hospital, Airdrie, Rochsoles, Glenmavis & Kildrum
    Service number: 247
    Service type: Normal Stopping
    Effective date: 23 Oct 2023
  • PM2002842/28 Registered

MCNAIRN'S COACHES LTD.
    Route: Cumbernauld Town Centre (stirling bound) to Cumbernauld Abronhill Shopping Centre via Whitelees, Westfield & Cumbernauld Village
    Service number: 49
  • PM2002842/27 Registered

MCNAIRN'S COACHES LTD.
    Route: Cumbernauld Town Centre (stirling bound) to Cumbernauld Town Centre (stirling bound) via Cumbernauld Village, Craigmarlock, Carrickstone & Balloch
    Service number: 35
  • PM2002842/26 Registered

MCNAIRN'S COACHES LTD.
    Route: Cumbernauld Town Centre to Cumbernauld Town Centre via Balloch, Carrickstone, Craigmaloch & Cumbernauld Village
    Service number: 34

overthewater

Established Member
I can't see McNairn taking on all of the 247, especial the 5am runs. it will be interesting to see how much of the service it will take on.

EMU303

Do all individual commercial operators publish their timetables online, or is it haphazard? How does a potential passenger find out where/when etc a bus runs (outside of SPT funded services)? And are SPT responsible for updated timetable information at bus stops?

To add, I’m referring to smaller operators not the big companies

Last edited:

markymark2000

On Moderation
Do all individual commercial operators publish their timetables online, or is it haphazard? How does a potential passenger find out where/when etc a bus runs (outside of SPT funded services)? And are SPT responsible for updated timetable information at bus stops?
Most of the Strathclyde Indies don't, or if they do, it's a very basic timetable and I don't have much hope for the timetable to be the current one.

Stan Drews

Established Member

SPT have a list of operators here, with links to their websites, where they exist.

Therefore, if you want to check them all, you can work your way through the list!

Bedford OB

Anybody can look the timetables up on Traveline. It has its weaknesses, but it would be rare if it did not have the timetables for the likes of the commercial operators in Strathclyde.

markymark2000

On Moderation
Anybody can look the timetables up on Traveline. It has its weaknesses, but it would be rare if it did not have the timetables for the likes of the commercial operators in Strathclyde.
One huge issue there though. The Scottish Traveline isn't updated very well. It was about 6 months after Climate Action Strathaven started running when they appeared on the Traveling database and even then, it wasn't the full timetable. I am not sure if they follow the Wales (central firm put in all the data) or England (council's input data into Traveline) but however it's done, there's a lot of data issues and therefore from my experience, very untrustworthy.

JKP

One huge issue there though. The Scottish Traveline isn't updated very well. It was about 6 months after Climate Action Strathaven started running when they appeared on the Traveling database and even then, it wasn't the full timetable. I am not sure if they follow the Wales (central firm put in all the data) or England (council's input data into Traveline) but however it's done, there's a lot of data issues and therefore from my experience, very untrustworthy.
It used to be that Councils input into Traveline Scotland though larger operators also export data to them. Spt should be inputting into Traveline on behalf of all Councils in its area.

To answer EMU303, Spt update timetable displays at stops certainly if outside Glasgow. Not sure what happens in the city.

markymark2000

On Moderation
It used to be that Councils input into Traveline Scotland though larger operators also export data to them. Spt should be inputting into Traveline on behalf of all Councils in its area.
Which half explains the shoddiness of the data input then for the SPT area and some other council areas.

Stan Drews

Established Member
As per the latest Operations Committee report, SPT intends to award the 29/29A/29C to PVT Transfer and the X22, 543, 507 and 30 to McGills.
View attachment 146148

https://www.spt.co.uk/about-us/news/operations-committee-03-11-2023/ for the full meeting
https://www.spt.co.uk/media/u5lnuq0c/ops031123_agenda9.pdf for the PDF of the above
The McGill’s contracts are just more permanent formal replacements for the temporary contracts they were initially awarded earlier this year.
PVT will take over the 29s from JMB who have decided the route wasn’t commercially viable after all.

sannox

The McGill’s contracts are just more permanent formal replacements for the temporary contracts they were initially awarded earlier this year.
PVT will take over the 29s from JMB who have decided the route wasn’t commercially viable after all.

The issue with the 29 is to be commercially viable it needs to run to Glasgow not Shawlands.

Stan Drews

Established Member
The issue with the 29 is to be commercially viable it needs to run to Glasgow not Shawlands.
I very much doubt that would help, as you’d simply be duplicating another 15-20 buses per hour.

I don’t think the route to Hillpark/Mansewood has ever been viable, since the 97? first appeared many moons ago. It does reasonably well, but will always need an element of financial support.

duffers2324

Even when the 29 ran cross city it was one of those fringe routes and ran every 30 mins during the day up until about 7pm, IE High Possil-Mansewood

Stan Drews

Established Member
Even when the 29 ran cross city it was one of those fringe routes and ran every 30 mins during the day up until about 7pm, IE High Possil-Mansewood
It has a vast array of different routes since it began. Few seem to have lasted too long, which tells you all you need to know. Compare it with the nearby 38, where the core route has barely changed in something like 70 odd years.

DC21

According to Andy Preece, Scottish Citylink have a service starting on 2nd Dec 2023 Shotts Harthill Broxburn. What will be used on this service? Can't see it being a coach surely

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
According to Andy Preece, Scottish Citylink have a service starting on 2nd Dec 2023 Shotts Harthill Broxburn. What will be used on this service? Can't see it being a coach surely
Who is Andy Preece?

overthewater

Established Member
I'm dumbfound there is doubt.

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
He's right. They have won and registered it.
My point is that nobody knows who Andy Preece is. When I googled the name it comes up with a football manager - is it the same person?

If you're going to refer to a specific individual, you must clarify who they are and what they actually do! Otherwise it's a case of "random bloke on the internet says..." :)

markymark2000

On Moderation
Just to provide the evidence for the thread

Registration number PM0001031/120
Licence Number PM0001031
Variation number 0
Status Registered
Service number. 23
Service type Normal Stopping
Start point Springhill Road, Shotts
Finish point Whitburn Cross
Via Harhill
Date received 09 Nov 2023
Effective date 04 Dec 2023
End date
Supported by subsidies? Yes
Local authorities covered by route Strathclyde Partnership for Transport
West Lothian Council
TAOs covered by routeScotland

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231112-110405.png
    Screenshot_20231112-110405.png
    326.2 KB · Views: 20

overthewater

Established Member
Looks like SPT will have to find some more money for replacements for these two routes?

• PM2014327/2 Cancelled​

ANDREW JOHN MCLEAN
    Route: Calderbank to Coatbridge Fountain or Airdrie Cross via Monklands Hospital
    Service number: 42
    Service type: Limited Stop, Normal Stopping
    Effective date: 02 Jan 2024
  • PM2014327/1 Cancelled​

ANDREW JOHN MCLEAN
    Route: Airdrie Cross to Airdrie Cross via Carlisle Road, Chapelhall
    Service number: 47
    Effective date: 02 Jan 2024