• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

SPT Tendered Routes

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
PVT Transfer is a legit company, registered in Bath Street, Glasgow.

Although they have one or two SPT tenders, it seems (according to their website) most of their income stream is from chauffeur work.
Ah, ok. I'd never heard of them until now.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Observer

Ah, ok. I'd never heard of them until now.
To be fair they just appeared out of the blue with the whole tendering exercise earlier in the year.

They only need one bus for all the work and it's all interworked for the whole day, something that likely got them the work to begin with, they bought a new Mercedes Sprinter to run them.

You can see the timetables below:

According to the latest Notice and Proceedings it seems SPT have given them MyBus work on the Saturday only to replace the 335.
PM2044658/5 THOMAS BUCHANAN, 272 BATH STREET, GLASGOW, G2 4JR
From: 8 South Ward Park Court, Wardpark South, Cumbernauld
To: 8 South Ward Park Court, Wardpark South,
Via: Name or No.: M90, M99
Service type: Flexible Registration
Effective date: 11 December 2021
Other details: Saturday only between 0900 & 1600

Seems they get kept busy all week long anyway!

Observer

As of this week, ARG Travel is now operating the tendered part of the 212:

• PM2014327/3 Cancelled (Short notice)​

ANDREW JOHN MCLEAN
    Route: Baillieston, Main Street to Airdrie Broomknoll Street via Kirkwood, Coatbridge
    Service number: 212
    Service type: Normal Stopping
    Effective date: 08 Jan 2022

• PM2048209/3 Registered (Short notice)​

A.R.G TRAVEL LIMITED
    Route: Main Street, Baillieston to Broomknoll Street, Airdrie via Kirkwood, Coatbridge
    Service number: 212
    Effective date: 09 Jan 2022

Stan Drews

Established Member

Attachments

• 76FD2BD1-557F-4C38-A7CE-B306D240948E.png
    76FD2BD1-557F-4C38-A7CE-B306D240948E.png
    973 KB · Views: 71
  • D157C93B-5261-49DC-81C7-C74B56F8EBBF.png
    D157C93B-5261-49DC-81C7-C74B56F8EBBF.png
    647.2 KB · Views: 69

adrock1976

Established Member
What's it called? It's called Cumbernauld
The latest proposed tender awards go to committee on Friday, and the report has now been published on the SPT website.
The table in the report doesn’t copy and paste well, so I have attached a couple of pics of the relevant pages.

Regarding the entry for the 147/247 for Canavan, I am surprised at that as the 147 (Kilsyth - Monklands Hospital) runs on Mon - Sat evenings and all day Sundays.

Canavan run the 43 (Kilsyth - Cumbernauld TC) and the 45 (Abronhill - Condorrat) Mon - Sat daytime, and do not run any Mon - Sat evening or all day Sunday services at all.

Stan Drews

Established Member
Regarding the entry for the 147/247 for Canavan, I am surprised at that as the 147 (Kilsyth - Monklands Hospital) runs on Mon - Sat evenings and all day Sundays.

Canavan run the 43 (Kilsyth - Cumbernauld TC) and the 45 (Abronhill - Condorrat) Mon - Sat daytime, and do not run any Mon - Sat evening or all day Sunday services at all.
Yes, the 247 starts very early, and as the 147, two buses continue until very late, including Sunday nights, so yes it’s a significant amount of work. Must’ve been keen though as they went in lower than the current rate, despite all the recent cost rises, and the lack of revenue! A brave move for sure.

GaryMcEwan

Established Member

They're not the most reliable of companies though. I used to get the 42 in the morning pre-covid and it was late on a daily basis.

The drivers aren't much better either. If I spoke to a customer they way they do, I'd be hauled in front of my HR department.

Stan Drews

Established Member
Gibson Direct/Gibson Executive Coaches have closed down suddenly, and their only SPT local bus service contract, for service 70 in Paisley, has been taken over from today by McColl’s.

They also ran around 20 buses on SPT school contracts, which will presumably be reallocated to other operators after the Easter holidays.

ClydeCoaster

When did they shut down? SPT spat an updated timetable out quick enough but I can't find anything about their closure or who's covering school contracts. I know they've got a couple of weeks to sort that though.

duffers2324

Also in relation to Gibson etc, the timetable for the A1 Milton-Maryhill Asda bus is still on Bustimes.org and also Traveline Scotland despite the service having been withdrawn ages ago, it even still appears on Google Maps also when planning a journey etc

markymark2000

On Moderation
Also in relation to Gibson etc, the timetable for the A1 Milton-Maryhill Asda bus is still on Bustimes.org and also Traveline Scotland despite the service having been withdrawn ages ago, it even still appears on Google Maps also when planning a journey etc
The majority of Traveline Scotland within the SPT area is incorrect. Loads of wrong timetables and I think even wrong routes. Been caught by it a few times lately with buses currently finishing much earlier than stated on Traveline.

Stan Drews

Established Member
When did they shut down? SPT spat an updated timetable out quick enough but I can't find anything about their closure or who's covering school contracts. I know they've got a couple of weeks to sort that though.
The staff were all told on Monday of this week. I’ve only seen it via friends Facebook posts, not on any of the local media sites.
All there school contracts had already been out to tender as part of the routine retendering process, as they all end in the summer. However, I don’t know who had been successful in winning the new contracts from August, and whether they will just try and start those contracts early, if it wasn’t Gibson’s.

It would appear the 100 service to the riverside museum is back up and running again (not my picture)

AlexanderPS

ARG taking over the 395 from McGills

• PM2048209/5 Registered​

A.R.G TRAVEL LIMITED
    Route: East Kilbride Bus Station to Uplawmoor via Eaglesham, Mairns Cross, Barrhead
    Service number: 395
    Effective date: 17 Jul 2022

Also seen on Andy Preece website First have cancelled the M1, 94, 205, 230 and 299. Anyone know whos taking these over?

Observer

Last edited by a moderator:

adrock1976

Established Member
I see the 335 is coming back again with the same operator as last time:

It looks like Dunn's are stopping the Saturday service again, otherwise SPT wouldn't be doing this again.

The exact same timetable as when PVT Transfer operated it from July - December 2021.

Dunns should make their minds up once and for all as to whether they want to run a bus service or not, instead of picking and choosing when to run them.

Also, Dunns use the Optare Solo midibuses with the reg plates from 2005 or 2008, and you can actually see some corrosion on the vehicles. One of the vehicles has a cracked window at the front left between the door and the windscreen, and has had for at least the last couple of years. In London, there is no way a vehicle with a fault/defect like that would ever leave the garage to go out into passenger service.

Observer

Dunns should make their minds up once and for all as to whether they want to run a bus service or not, instead of picking and choosing when to run them.
May very well be getting issues with drivers so can't run the Saturday services properly.

Not defending them by any means but practically every operator out there is having issues keeping drivers, even companies running a handful of buses experience trouble too.

That being said the fact has been for many years, that no other company will touch those routes with a barge pole unless Dunns pull out or end up getting their license revoked.

SPT are probably annoyed about it as well, but they can't do much, the PVT bus is still available for use during those hours on a Saturday for now, so seems easy for them to put it back on.

adrock1976

Established Member
May very well be getting issues with drivers so can't run the Saturday services properly.

Not defending them by any means but practically every operator out there is having issues keeping drivers, even companies running a handful of buses experience trouble too.

That being said the fact has been for many years, that no other company will touch those routes with a barge pole unless Dunns pull out or end up getting their license revoked.

SPT are probably annoyed about it as well, but they can't do much, the PVT bus is still available for use during those hours on a Saturday for now, so seems easy for them to put it back on.

I don't think or believe it is issues with the drivers, as when I relocated to Cumbernauld in February 2020, it has been the exact same three drivers pre and during the pandemic.

The end of March - mid November was terrible, as the 35 and 49 (Town Centre - Abronhill via Village and Wardpark) was drastically reduced from every 30 minutes to every 60 minutes, and only running between the hours of 09:00 - 14:00. The 34 was totally pulled until mid November 2020 when it was reinstated on the 30 minute frequency, but starting later and finishing earlier and stopping for an hour break at lunchtime (the 35 and 49 also break for lunch meaning that there is nothing for 2 hours, which has caused a lot of complaints from residents in Craigmarloch and Carrickstone, as they cannot get to or travel back from the shops or medical appointments).

Observer

Even with 3 drivers you still have to take drivers hours into consideration.

Although I seem to recall they run a schools extra to and from Greenfaulds (or were for a while) so not sure how the lunches and Saturday can't be covered.

Should be able to stagger the lunches so there's at least one service running each hour.

Craigs of Cumbernauld taking over McGill's 72, 178, 245, 310.

PM2024756/14
New
CRAIGS OF CUMBERNAULD LTD117ASouth Circular Road, CoatbridgeLomond Road, Townhead
PM2024756/15
New
CRAIGS OF CUMBERNAULD LTD178 (178B, 178A)West High Street, KirkintillochMossvale Terrace, Moddiesburn
PM2024756/16
New
CRAIGS OF CUMBERNAULD LTD245 (245A)Gartferry Road, MoodiesburnSouth Circular Road, Coatbridge
PM2024756/18
New
CRAIGS OF CUMBERNAULD LTD72West High Street, KirkintillochBuchanan Bus Station, Glasgow
PM2024756/17
New
CRAIGS OF CUMBERNAULD LTD310Gartferry Road, MoodiesburnOld Shettleston Road, Shettleston

Last edited by a moderator:

Observer

Are McGill's retaining any tender work?
Not if it came out of Coatbridge depot it seems, everything appears to be up for grabs.

Of course it's not just them losing contracts, quite a lot is getting changed.

Stan Drews

Established Member
Not if it came out of Coatbridge depot it seems, everything appears to be up for grabs.

Of course it's not just them losing contracts, quite a lot is getting changed.
There was quite a lot up for renewal in July this year, and as you say, very few contracts have stayed with the incumbent operators - particularly the main daytime routes.
The same pattern, seen in previous years, of the smaller ops submitting lower prices and the larger operators sticking more with their commercial work, seems to be continuing this summer.
With the significant price challenges and driver availability facing everyone, it’s a bold move by some of these smaller operators.

Observer

More contract awards here, even United have won some:

• PM1087164/24 Registered​

J M B TRAVEL LTD
    Route: High Whitehills Road, Greenhills to Hairmyres Station
    Service number: 399
  • PM2048209/6 Registered​

A.R.G TRAVEL LIMITED
    Route: Monklands Hospital to Upperton Longriggend Road via Airdrie
    Service number: 101 (181)
  • PM1074566/9 Registered​

UNITED COACHES LTD
    Route: South Circular Road, Coatbridge to Shawhead, Dunnottar Avenue via Whifflet
    Service number: 106
  • PM1074566/8 Registered​

UNITED COACHES LTD
    Route: South Circular Road, Coatbridge to Marnoch Drive, Glenboig
    Service number: 3
  • PM2024756/12 Cancelled​

CRAIGS OF CUMBERNAULD LTD
    Route: Gainside Road, Glenboig to South Circular Road, Coatbridge
    Service number: 3
    Effective date: 16 Jul 2022

Last edited:

AlexanderPS

Nice to see those Monklands routes going back to all independents. Strange United are taking on the 106 but not the 101 as previously stated in the tender documents.

Observer

Nice to see those Monklands routes going back to all independents. Strange United are taking on the 106 but not the 101 as previously stated in the tender documents.
Operators don't always take the work offered, they may not have the availability to run them, or they accepted contracts that work better for them afterwards or declined previous but took up contracts in the next round of tendering.

Last edited:

PaulMc7

Established Member
Given the nature of the driver shortages I'm not surprised First and McGill's are dropping a fair whack of their SPT services although the former seems by far the most affected.

Stan Drews

Established Member
The routes listed above are all currently run by independents.