• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

SSR return train cancelled - refund?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kingston

I'm travelling on GWR and our return train has been cancelled on a Super Off-Peak Return ticket (bought from a GWR ticket machine).

We'd prefer to get a lift back with someone else rather than wait until the later service.

How does one go about getting a refund on the ticket and how much would it be, 50% of the SSR price or the difference between the SSR and SSS (a paltry amount)?

Thanks!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

m00036

As far as I can tell, the minimum refund should be 50% of the SSR price, but there's nothing concrete anywhere in GWR's charter or website, or in the NRCoT.

alistairlees

Established Member
Nah, the difference between the Super Off-Peak single and the Super Off-Peak Return is what they are entitled to. Less any admin fee.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Nah, the difference between the Super Off-Peak single and the Super Off-Peak Return is what they are entitled to. Less any admin fee.
That may be the official rail industry position but it is difficult to reconcile with the Consumer Rights Act - whereby if services are not provided in compliance with the contract, and the consumer opts for a price reduction (i.e. refund), the reduction should be an "appropriate amount".

If the difference is the typical £1 or so, it's difficult to argue that this is an "appropriate amount" for receiving only half the contracted service. I would expect at least a 40% refund in most circumstances.

robbeech

Established Member
There’s alsorts of weird calculations* they do and it usually depends on who you get. It’s possible there are company policies but whether they’re stuck to or not I don’t know. When you get to the right person and get it sorted it usually turns out quite favourable / acceptable so you shouldn’t need to worry but you may need to persevere.

I’ve had 50%, 50% minus the difference (£1), 66% where my outward was cancelled and my return was delayed and fell into a super off peak time range for the ticket, and the weirdest one was where they calculated the percentage difference between the anytime single (sos) and anytime return (sor) and applied the same percentage discount to the off peak return (svr), which wasn’t quite 50% but I was more than happy with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.