• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Staff buses

Ken H

On Moderation
This thread https://www.railforums.co.uk/threads/career-change-to-bus-driver-kendal.259660/ has gone a little off topic discussing travel between the depot and joining your bus and vice versa.

This is about how the staff travel between the depot and their bus.
So what companies run staff buses? Do any companies insist staff use service buses (company's own or another operator)?
Do any suggest using taxis, trains, company vans/cars, and do any companies simply not care?

Historical and current practice examples welcome.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Roger1973

There are probably examples of all of these, and more.

The variety of bus drivers needing to travel between depot and change-over point (or whatever the local terms are) has probably increased over recent years with a trend towards selling off town centre depots / garages and having fewer operational sites, many on 'out of town' industrial sites.

London bus operators' staff get oyster cards which allow free travel on all TFL services, so there are plenty of examples where bus staff use TFL bus routes (irrespective of operator) and Underground (and possibly Overground / TFL Rail) services. Some can be quite unexpected - I believe that London General drivers from Stockwell Garage have used the Victoria Line to get to points including Warren Street and even Finsbury Park for a few duties when they ran route 19.

While on the face of it this is 'inefficient', it's a balance between 'unproductive' travelling time and making the duty schedule work - you sometimes get duties that are mostly too short (most operators have a guaranteed minimum payment either per day or per week, so short duties cost money) or would be just too long for drivers' hours. The occasional driver change at the 'wrong end' of a route can remedy this.

Some change overs can be done by the driver who's due a break / end of duty taking bus back to depot and another driver bringing a bus out, but this adds to bus mileage, and unless the times all come out off peak (and most bus routes have fewer 'spreadover buses' (peak hours only) than they used to), it can add to the 'peak vehicle requirement' (number of buses you need to have.)

A number of operators have staff cars (terms for this vary - staff cars, shuttle cars, buggy etc) that drivers use to get from A to B. This can be cheaper than needing extra buses to do it, or relying on having spare buses available. Arriva at Dartford (and potentially other places) used to have a fleet of ex London taxis for this, but think they have fallen by the wayside - this car on Street View at Dartford Home Gardens is parked on a bus stop, and there's glimpses of what looks like a high-vis and an Arriva blue shirt visible inside the car, so it's probably one.

Letting the bus drivers drive these cars works if the driver who's getting off a bus will always be going back to the depot where the relieving driver has travelled from, but if the bus drivers take their meal break at the remote location, that can mean you end up with needing to park those cars somewhere, which may not be possible at bus stations.

Go-Ahead London have staff cars with dedicated drivers (no specific inside knowledge, I've seen job adverts for the staff car driver post) at some locations. Northumberland Park has a few, there's one visible at Tottenham Hale on Street View here (the red MPV) - presume the drivers get taken to Tottenham Hale Station and then get the Victoria Line to Walthamstow (for routes that do change overs at Walthamstow.) I've also noticed similar at North Greenwich, presume shuttling drivers to / from Morden Wharf Garage. I'm sure they have done the sums and decided this is the best way of doing it.

Away from London, I'm aware some Reading Buses drivers on the Green Line (or whatever it's called now) 702 between Legoland and London do change-overs at Slough and travel at one end of the duty between Reading and Slough by train.

Reading Buses also have a minibus that loops round Reading Town Centre in the early evenings showing 'shuttle bus' - this isn't a public service, and the only people I've ever seen getting on or off seem to be Reading Buses drivers, so presume this is for getting drivers to / from their depot, which is at the edge of the town centre. I've not seen it running daytimes, it's possibly only run in the evening.

I also have a vague memory of seeing an Arriva minibus running to and from Aylesbury Bus Station showing route number 999, which looked only to be carrying other Arriva staff as passengers - this was a few years ago now.

SSmith2009

Arriva use one of the mini van type buses in Leicester which operates between the City Centre and Thurmaston depot for drivers.

busesrusuk

I can only speak for London but LT as was, had large numbers of staff buses; some were scheduled whilst some were more ad hoc with staff putting their names in a book with their destination. The routes were generally fixed so you got dropped off somewhere near. The most famous were probably the staff buses associated with Chiswick and Aldenham works - details here:

The Aldenham and Chiswick staff buses had a significant fleet of dedicated buses including, in later years the ex BEA Routemasters such as these:

These days there are few actual rostered staff buses as the expansion of the night bus network rendered many redundant.

Driver changeovers (subtly different to a full blown staff bus) have staff using normal service buses, ferry vehicles and tram/tube where available. Some companies have also started doing remote sign on/off so reducing the need for trips to and from the garage.

One example is Go Ahead London who run ferry bus services between Tottenham Hale station and the garage regularly throughout the day using 7 seat minivans. You can usually find one at the station during the day.

richw

Veteran Member
We used to use service buses, we now have pool cars, which makes shuttling quicker, means unrelated buses aren’t delayed if the service bus used for shuttling is delayed.
The travel I did today for a route I took over. 45-60’mins by service bus, or 15-20 mins by car. If you’ve got a driver travelling in each direction every couple of hours it’s a lot of driver hours saved by using cars.

Flange Squeal

Established Member
I believe Oxford Bus Company’s 11X route between Oxford and the BMW factory, which runs every 10-15 mins, was actually a closed shuttle bus for shuttling drivers in/out the city for changeovers, before being opened up to the public a few years ago.

Surrey operators White Bus, Carlone and Cardinal Buses each have cars for drivers to get to/from changeover points.

Surrey based Falcon Buses seem to often use Ford Transit minibuses during the day for drivers get to changeover points on routes away from base, often seen in Woking and Guildford. I expect these minibuses are used on school contracts at start/end of day. I’ve also seen a couple of small car-based vans (Vauxhall Corsa sort of size) on changeovers in Woking.

I’ve seen Stagecoach South’s Aldershot-based drivers travelling passenger on route 1 to/from Farnborough, from where several routes start/end away from Aldershot (2, 11, YoYo). Guildford Leas Road drivers also appear to use the 34 to get to/from Woking to work the local 91 route.

In the past, when First Beeline/Berkshire ran a Staines to Byfleet route that become from their depot, the Bracknell-based drivers would use South West Trains to get go/from Staines for changeovers.

Stan Drews

Established Member
The travel I did today for a route I took over. 45-60’mins by service bus, or 15-20 mins by car. If you’ve got a driver travelling in each direction every couple of hours it’s a lot of driver hours saved by using cars.
Although you do have to balance those savings against the cost of buying/leasing/maintaining the car.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
I can only speak for London but LT as was, had large numbers of staff buses; some were scheduled whilst some were more ad hoc with staff putting their names in a book with their destination. The routes were generally fixed so you got dropped off somewhere near. The most famous were probably the staff buses associated with Chiswick and Aldenham works - details here:

The Aldenham and Chiswick staff buses had a significant fleet of dedicated buses including, in later years the ex BEA Routemasters such as these:

Just like to add to the first link there. TB (Bromley) ran an RF night staff bus in the 1960s and early 1970s and, contrary to the recollections from other London staff, this most certainly used roads not scheduled for bus use, though only 'main' ones. I seem to remember a regular driver, who was on the 227 RF rota, and he threw that bus around with abandon!

Simon75

On Moderation
D&G buses have a staff car parked all day at Congleton bus station for drivers' breaks on the 94.

Last edited by a moderator:

RM-Taylor

TrentBarton has (or had) a staff shuttle bus running between Langley Mill depot and Ilkeston.

York & County has (or had before the depot move) a pool car and van for staff between the depot and the city centre

Megafuss

Swindon Bus Company 22 to/from Barnfield B&Q actually turn around within the depot so that drivers can use it to shuttle between there and town

TrentBarton has (or had) a staff shuttle bus running between Langley Mill depot and Ilkeston.

York & County has (or had before the depot move) a pool car and van for staff between the depot and the city centre
Transdev York now just use the 2/2A park and ride for changeovers

FirstYork has a staff taxi for early (before 0630) starts and late finishes (0000 to 0130) which runs as and where needed, just a sign up sheet with your mobile, location and book-on time needed. There’s also the 200 bus which, whilst open to the public, is mainly there as a staff bus for Foxwood/Acomb/Holgate/Fulford. This only runs 0430-0730 M-Sat

jp4712

When I was taking photos at Chester bus station last September, I was vaguely surprised to see a little Merc minibus scuttling in and out of the city’s bus station every few minutes with ‘Stagecoach Chester depot - staff shuttle bus’ as its destination. I took a photo of it, below.

Stagecoach 44026, Chester, September 2023 by Paul Williams, on Flickr

richw

Veteran Member
Although you do have to balance those savings against the cost of buying/leasing/maintaining the car.
5 driver changes a day at 40 mins each way saving so total of 80 mins saved per driver change. 400 mins a day, and that’s just on one route. Approx £100 a day saved on our current hourly rate. Total of 100 miles a day as it’s 10 miles each way.

duncombec

Of major depots in Kent:

Arriva Kent Thameside: Dartford do still maintain a fleet of cars for changeovers, although believed leased, so change often. Northfleet certainly used to be a combination of cars, ferry minibus and running back to the depot, depending on the changeover point.

Arriva Kent and Sussex: Gillingham drivers seem to either take vehicles back to the depot (largely when vehicles themselves enter/leave service), or travel via service bus, as the 101 starts at the depot and runs to the bus station - I think this is the only example in West Kent where a service bus is used. There are a small number of ferry buses on a Sunday. Maidstone has a ferry car that shuttles back and forth to the depot. Tunbridge Wells uses a mix, with some cars to Tonbridge, and occasional buses at Tunbridge Wells Hospital.

Stagecoach East Kent: Less sure what happens here as it's not my side of the county, but Thanet seem to use a mixture of ferry buses and back to the depot, and there is an early morning staff bus from Folkestone area to Dover following the closure of the depot last year.

Whether a bus is used or not depends largely on whether the bus is needed back at the depot - some Stagecoach vehicles are scheduled back at the depot in the middle of the day between school runs, for example, and most Gillingham vehicles come from the depot with their first driver and return with the last, but it's less common to see them disappear during the day on Mondays to Saturdays unless there is a need to change vehicles.

Mwanesh

National Express Walsall have a staff shuttle fro 10 pm till about 6am. The morning ones you put your name and stop you get picked there. The evening ones same process.
Stagecoach South Wales have staff cars for Megabus drivers to get to Cardiff or Newport. They are also used for shuttles to Pontypool for changeover on the Pontypool routes. Not sure what's happening with Brynmawr or Blackwood staff since they all moved to Cwmbran

Typhoon

Established Member
Stagecoach East Kent: Less sure what happens here as it's not my side of the county, but Thanet seem to use a mixture of ferry buses and back to the depot, and there is an early morning staff bus from Folkestone area to Dover following the closure of the depot last year.
Herne Bay - uses staff cars (last few times I've seen them, it has been in corporate livery but before that just plain cars) or walk (about 5 minutes) if the changeover is at Herne Bay Station. I have seen drivers returning from Canterbury on the Triangle (bus route).

Mention of Thanet, many of the routes pass or terminate at or near the garage at Westwood, so less need there.

markymark2000

On Moderation
Stagecoach
Chester has the shuttle running about every 30 minutes between the depot and Chester Bus Station. Drivers taking over not in Chester can vary, sometimes it's take a bus and changeover but when they had routes such as the old GHA 9/X9, there was one duty board which told drivers to get the Arriva 11 to Broughton Tesco and then do a changeover there (with the other driver being told to get the Arriva 11 back into Chester). That was an interesting one. I know that before the iTravel DRT came about too, driver for the 48 were told to use Arrivas X30 to Frodsham to do the changeover.
Rock Ferry changeovers are just shunt cars/vans for the 38 and 471/472.
Gillmoss mostly a shunt cars/vans. On the 14, buses will run into the depot for changeover and EL1 on Wednesdays, a fresh bus goes out to do the night service and the regular bus runs in, other than that though, everything is shunt cars/vans I believe. Gillmoss does have a staff taxi but it's only within a certain area.
Hyde Road seem to rarely do changeovers 'on the road' except for routes which stop outside the depot, the boards are normally worked out so that the driver finishes the route in Manchester, drives back to the depot, dumps it and then someone else takes it out later on. The bus coming to take over the route comes from the depot.
Middleton did/does changeovers as much as they can outside the depot. 171/172 the drivers run to/from the depot for changeovers normally.

Arriva
Arriva Chester is shunt cars/vans to Queensferry Asda (5), Garden City (10/10A), Saughall (15) or Blacon Auckland Road (14/14A).
Arriva Rhyl is walk/shuttle to the bus station then all changeovers happen there.

I think there is a lot of variation as it depends on each depot. I've not heard of or seen people using taxis before to a changeover and it seems generally rare for drivers to use service buses (unless the bus is a depot shuttle converted into a public service run) to get to/from a bus as part of their duty though some drivers may choose to use a local bus rather than wait for the actual staff shuttle, or some may generally use the local bus to save walking from a break area to changeover area. The use of staff shuttles can vary a lot too depending on local agreements regarding walking. Some depots are quite strict on not walking because of the risk of theft (Stagecoach Gillmoss for example get a staff car from the depot to Willow Way, the drive is only about 500 metres, you spend more time at the depot barrier and 3 sets of traffic lights, than you do actually driving), other depots will happily have you walk 5-10 minutes to a changeover point. Some staff shuttles are timetabled continuous shuttles, some are shared shuttles timed to meet shift changeovers, some firms will send 2 cars out at the same time to the same place for shuttles as if a bus is late, it saves drivers waiting around.

RDP

Also some minibus workings have been seen during the day for driver changeovers at Folkestone Bus Station.

Martin2012

A few years ago First Bristol had a service that operated direct between the Hengrove depot and Bristol Bus Station. Think it may have been numbered Service 93 and almost always used a Streetlite.

Personally I never saw any members of the public actually that service and on one occasion when I saw it in the bus station it sat there with the doors shut and a group of drivers on board, almost as if they didn't want or expect any members of the public to use it.

Every so often you see a vehicle in the Bristol area which is out of service but carrying drivers.

Andyh82

Established Member
First Bradford have a staff bus that shuttles between the depot and the Interchange (in normal circumstances when it’s not closed) every 10 minutes

First Huddersfield have a less frequent staff bus that runs from their depot to Market Street. Some journeys run as public bus service 200, but this only seems to apply to evening journeys these days

First Leeds didn’t use to have a staff bus as there are many regular services that pass Bramley and Hunslet Park, and many services do changeovers in the vicinity such as at Bramley Town End in any case, but since COVID they seemed to introduce some

First Halifax has regular buses passing their depot so don’t need a staff shuttle bus

MotCO

Established Member
Just like to add to the first link there. TB (Bromley) ran an RF night staff bus in the 1960s and early 1970s and, contrary to the recollections from other London staff, this most certainly used roads not scheduled for bus use, though only 'main' ones. I seem to remember a regular driver, who was on the 227 RF rota, and he threw that bus around with abandon!

I also recall seeing GSs on the A3 southbound at New Malden taking workers home. Would this have been for former staff at a closed London Country maintenance depot, taking workers home from Chiswick or Aldenham?

Go-Ahead Metrobus use Mercedes minibuses to take staff from Green Street Green depot to various locations, such as Orpington Station, on a multiple drop-off basis.

Roger1973

I also recall seeing GSs on the A3 southbound at New Malden taking workers home. Would this have been for former staff at a closed London Country maintenance depot, taking workers home from Chiswick or Aldenham?

The page on the 'Red RF' website that @busesrusuk linked to in post 4 has more about Chiswick and Aldenham Works staff buses - GSs were used at some locations at some times. The list on that page includes a GS being based at Abbey Wood Garage at one time. (This may have been at least in part for workers who had been based at the Charlton tram / trolleybus works and transferred to Chiswick when it closed.)

Some repair / overhaul facilities were based at Reigate (country buses) for a while, but those jobs transferred (in London Transport days) to Chiswick so there was a Reigate - Chiswick staff bus (or more than one) for many years. Again, more on the 'Red RF' website here.

London Country started its existence without a central works, overhauls being contracted to London Transport. A works was set up in Crawley during the 1970s - I'm not sure if it had a staff bus network (I've never seen anything in writing about it, which of course doesn't prove anything), or if it was close enough to service bus routes, or whether the demand for it by then didn't warrant it.

philthetube

Established Member
I have known 2 companies come unstuck when providing pool cars after employing drivers with no manual licence.

Just before Christmas I saw the relieved driver on a 465 getting into a small hatchback driven by the relieving driver to the Chessington World of Adventures stop: much easier to head back to Tolworth garage from there than Kingston. This is Transdev/RATP I think.

RustySpoons

Transdev's Flyer operation has, rather fittingly, a small fleet of Volkswagen Jettas which staff use as pool vehicles for driver changeovers and the like.

Statto

Established Member
Stagecoach Merseyside Cheshire South Lancashire

82, Liverpool - Liverpool South Parkway
86, Liverpool - Liverpool South Parkway
86C, Liverpool - Hope University

All operate from Gillmoss depot, i believe driver changes are done at Liverpool One Bus Station, which is some 7 miles away from the depot, i think drivers travel on a spare bus, used as staff bus, to & from depot to Liverpool One.

richw

Veteran Member
I have known 2 companies come unstuck when providing pool cars after employing drivers with no manual licence.
I hadn’t driven a manual for several years until the new pool cars arrived. Luckily I have a manual licence. It was like riding a bike and I remembered what to do straight away