• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Staff Records

Status
Not open for further replies.

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
Following on from my questions about No. 3116, I've got another question for you all, please.

My sister and I agree that the gentleman is our Paternal Grandfather. We know that he was a Cleaner in 1901 as that's how he's described in the 1901 Census. He eventually became a Driver, and was on the London Paddington route; my sister remembers hearing that he did this, and the crews had to stay in lodgings overnight before taking a train back the next day.

So, where is the best place for me to see if I can find his records, please? His name was William Archibald Stallard, born in 1884, retired c1949, died in 1966.

Thanks very much; if you have any questions, please let me know.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

WesternLancer

Established Member
Following on from my questions about No. 3116, I've got another question for you all, please.

My sister and I agree that the gentleman is our Paternal Grandfather. We know that he was a Cleaner in 1901 as that's how he's described in the 1901 Census. He eventually became a Driver, and was on the London Paddington route; my sister remembers hearing that he did this, and the crews had to stay in lodgings overnight before taking a train back the next day.

So, where is the best place for me to see if I can find his records, please? His name was William Archibald Stallard, born in 1884, retired c1949, died in 1966.

Thanks very much; if you have any questions, please let me know.
I don't actually know the answer to this but these pointers may help narrow it down a bit.

Possibly:
- National Railway Museum (not sure if they retain staff records but I've seen a fact sheet about finding ancestors details if they were railway employees, and it may be the NRM published it)
see https://www.railwaymuseum.org.uk/research-and-archive/further-resources/family-history

- National Archives, Kew
useful short audio guide
more info

- Great Western Society, Didcot (the place next to the station) - maybe they hold some GWR info that may help

- Local archives to where he lived during his life. Maybe worth a look to see if they have info related to workplaces in their area. These will often be called for example 'County Archives for x county'

Hope these are useful pointers at least.

Shrewbly

Ancestry.co.uk have on-line images of some railway employment records. I've taken a quick look and Mr Stallard appears to be there (with quite a lot of detail - including a commendation for preventing an accident at Cross Keys). I don't think I'm allowed to post the image, but there is a reference back to the original record at the National Archives at Kew: Collection: Great Western Railway Company: Staff Records; Class: RAIL264; Piece: 52

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
Thanks - I have an account with Ancestry, so I'll see what I can find.

Ancestry.co.uk have on-line images of some railway employment records. I've taken a quick look and Mr Stallard appears to be there (with quite a lot of detail - including a commendation for preventing an accident at Cross Keys). I don't think I'm allowed to post the image, but there is a reference back to the original record at the National Archives at Kew: Collection: Great Western Railway Company: Staff Records; Class: RAIL264; Piece: 52

I've looked on Ancestry and found the reference that you mention - it's very interesting. I guess that it means that he was driving the second train and realised the the first one was broken down or stopped in front of him, so he stopped his train to avoid a collision.

I've written to the GWS at Didcot and asked them if they have any records so we'll see what they say. I'll have to have a look at the records at TNA when it's possible.

Thanks again for this.

Last edited:

WesternLancer

Established Member
Thanks - I have an account with Ancestry, so I'll see what I can find.

I've looked on Ancestry and found the reference that you mention - it's very interesting. I guess that it means that he was driving the second train and realised the the first one was broken down or stopped in front of him, so he stopped his train to avoid a collision.

I've written to the GWS at Didcot and asked them if they have any records so we'll see what they say. I'll have to have a look at the records at TNA when it's possible.

Thanks again for this.
Glad you have got some good leads here. Interesting example of what can come to light by the sound of it.

Shrewbly

Pleased to help, at a glance the records looked really interesting. I'd already found some information on Ancestry about my great, great grandfather who was a stationmaster on the Midland Railway, but that was just dates and locations. The GWR records seem much more detailed (or, as I'm sure some would say, better!).

Taunton

Established Member

Just to help with this, being a "cleaner" in this progression would be a Locomotive Cleaner, which is something different to someone who sweeps the floor. It was the first stage of progression in the locomotive department, how they all started as, and as well as getting the loco into a presentable state, inside and out, there was an initial understanding and familiarity with everything on it. I believe there were things like if you found a broken spring behind the wheels, and informed the mechanical foreman, there was a 5 shillings bonus given. One then worked on through fireman to driver. For many, this was their lifetime career.

I think the GWR didn't take anyone into the locomotive department until they were 17, which fits with this. At a time when school leaving was at 15, or maybe even 14, there were intervening years where those initially interested in railways would be a "lad porter" at the station, or similar, until coming of age to be allowed around the loco shed. The loco department was always the premier team on the railway, even a loco cleaner would be paid more than junior staff at the station.

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
Pleased to help, at a glance the records looked really interesting. I'd already found some information on Ancestry about my great, great grandfather who was a stationmaster on the Midland Railway, but that was just dates and locations. The GWR records seem much more detailed (or, as I'm sure some would say, better!).

Thanks - but I couldn't possibly comment!!

Just to help with this, being a "cleaner" in this progression would be a Locomotive Cleaner, which is something different to someone who sweeps the floor. It was the first stage of progression in the locomotive department, how they all started as, and as well as getting the loco into a presentable state, inside and out, there was an initial understanding and familiarity with everything on it. I believe there were things like if you found a broken spring behind the wheels, and informed the mechanical foreman, there was a 5 shillings bonus given. One then worked on through fireman to driver. For many, this was their lifetime career.

I think the GWR didn't take anyone into the locomotive department until they were 17, which fits with this. At a time when school leaving was at 15, or maybe even 14, there were intervening years where those initially interested in railways would be a "lad porter" at the station, or similar, until coming of age to be allowed around the loco shed. The loco department was always the premier team on the railway, even a loco cleaner would be paid more than junior staff at the station.

Thanks, that's very interesting. I knew about the description and the progression process, but not much about the bonuses and the ages. I don't know when he joined the GWR - the 1891 Census would be too early for him to be shown in a job, as he's still be in school then.

Status
Not open for further replies.