• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Stagecoach East Scotland

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bedford OB

Details are now out and it seems Stagecoach didn't win all the contracts, No47 went to Moffat and Williamson. One other point, it was suggested ( in the above press release) a new Monday to Saturday early morning journeys would operate on the 95, it seems that has not happened, which is a bit of a surprise? unless X60 is getting an extra run when the express changes come in?

Very disappointing that the East Scotland information has been so sloppy in respect of these changes. The links from the Service Change commentary to the timetables for 7 and 395 actually take you to the old timetables, while if you opt for Timetables rather than Service Changes and look there, you get the new timetables. I am used to North Scotland (Highland section) publicity being a complete shambles, but it is a pity that East Scotland are now following.

computerSaysNo

Established Member
To clarify: the only changes announced so far relate to local services in Central and North Fife, and there's been nothing yet about Express services or a new service to Stirling, is that correct?

overthewater

Established Member
So the express services change in 5 weeks, surely timetables should be out soon?
I dare say it will be next week they will come out. But the August changes have come out for consultation. I'm not surprised at what happened to the no36 Fife council are to blame for this mess with its own services running on top of it.

Proposed timetable changes from 19th August 202418 Jun 2024 to 30 Jun 2024​

For the schools returning on 19th August 2024, a number of the local bus services we run on behalf of Fife Council are changing, including school services.
To coincide with these changes, we’ll be revising some of our commercially operated services to tie in with these contracts, as well as making significant changes to the Dunfermline network to cater for travel to the new learning campus in Duloch, due to open at this time.
Below is a summary of the changes we are planning for 19th August with draft timetables available where relevant and we welcome customer feedback on timings or adjustments to these proposals before they are finalised.
Please review the list below to see how your local bus service is impacted and/or view details of new routes in your area.
You can give feedback by visiting our dedicated feedback form, and we'll review this alongside comments from our own staff, to make suitable adjustments as necessary.
The consultation for these services will close on 30th June 2024.

Tayway

Perth - Newburgh - Cupar - St Andrews route and the Dunfermline - Alloa - Stirling are welcome positives, but the rest seems more of the same managed decline we have seen so much of recently.

roadierway77

I dare say it will be next week they will come out. But the August changes have come out for consultation. I'm not surprised at what happened to the no36 Fife council are to blame for this mess with its own services running on top of it.

It's a bit irritating how Stagecoach keeps tinkering with the Dunfermline town routes, switching numbers and routes around at a fairly frequent basis since Covid. It's just confusing to keep up with. The route serving Townhill has changed from a 3 to a 2 back to a 3 in a year and a half. Wedderburn Crescent also looks set to lose its bus service which is unfortunate. The 5 seems like a good addition, restoring the link between Duloch and Rosyth and connects quite well to the X55 in Rosyth, about an 8 minute connection in each direction, though it's not actually much of an improvement upon current journey opportunities from Duloch to Edinburgh considering the 5 will leave Duloch at the same time as the 89 which enables travel to Edinburgh via a change at Ferrytoll.

While it's excellent to see new direct connections such as St Andrews to Perth and Dunfermline to Stirling, it's hard to be pleased about new services such as the 5, 65 and X22 when there is still continuous withdrawals of other services such as the 36, 40 and 93. And the consultation isn't long enough, especially when those who use the 8A between Alloa and Culross have no idea what their future bus service will look like because for some reason not all timetables were finalised at the same time. These changes are just Stagecoach being Stagecoach - managed decline and inadequate service. With every withdrawal they just lose more customers in an endless pursuit of improved profitability.

I wonder if the new service 5 means the end for the X52 between Duloch and Edinburgh?
I'd be surprised if so because it's usually quite busy. They may be using the 5 to gauge if there would be demand for an all-day X52.

VolvoOly85

It's a bit irritating how Stagecoach keeps tinkering with the Dunfermline town routes, switching numbers and routes around at a fairly frequent basis since Covid. It's just confusing to keep up with. The route serving Townhill has changed from a 3 to a 2 back to a 3 in a year and a half. Wedderburn Crescent also looks set to lose its bus service which is unfortunate. The 5 seems like a good addition, restoring the link between Duloch and Rosyth and connects quite well to the X55 in Rosyth, about an 8 minute connection in each direction, though it's not actually much of an improvement upon current journey opportunities from Duloch to Edinburgh considering the 5 will leave Duloch at the same time as the 89 which enables travel to Edinburgh via a change at Ferrytoll.

While it's excellent to see new direct connections such as St Andrews to Perth and Dunfermline to Stirling, it's hard to be pleased about new services such as the 5, 65 and X22 when there is still continuous withdrawals of other services such as the 36, 40 and 93. And the consultation isn't long enough, especially when those who use the 8A between Alloa and Culross have no idea what their future bus service will look like because for some reason not all timetables were finalised at the same time. These changes are just Stagecoach being Stagecoach - managed decline and inadequate service. With every withdrawal they just lose more customers in an endless pursuit of improved profitability.

I'd be surprised if so because it's usually quite busy. They may be using the 5 to gauge if there would be demand for an all-day X52.
Is your expectation that they continue to run services which clearly haven’t recovered from Covid as a number that they’ve listed relied heavily on OAP concessions?

Would be interesting to know what the overall difference in mileage/journeys is as as a result of the changes

overthewater

Established Member
There is an actually increase in PVR / mileage/journeys, especial when you add the new Express changes to the mix.

* 65 fully takes all the resources from the current 36
* Dunfermline Town, there will be 2 more buses in operation.
* No32 going to the Hospital replaces the old No30 duty. ( No30 and 32 were interworked)
* No40 is interworked with No31. Maybe they will just extend the 31 to Asda but not go via North Street.
* 93, apart from Canongate area, most of the route will still have 4 buses per hour thanks to other services. I dare say this has been curtailed to free up a driver to operate the 65.

Before you ask, what about the cut the No8? or Glenrothes losing 3 duties on the current 36 etc Wait until the Express changes come out:

Scotrail88

There is an actually increase in PVR / mileage/journeys, especial when you add the new Express changes to the mix.

* No32 going to the Hospital replaces the old No30 duty. ( No30 and 32 were interworked)
* No40 is interworked with No31. Maybe they will just extend the 31 to Asda but not go via North Street.
* 93, apart from Canongate area, most of the route will still have 4 buses per hour thanks to other services. I dare say this has been curtailed to free up a driver to operate the 65.

Before you ask, what about the cut the No8? or Glenrothes losing 3 duties on the current 36 etc Wait until the Express changes come out:

The X22 has appeared on VOSA but do we know what else is broadly planned?

Hope the Glasgow expresses get some improvements in addition to the new buses.

Presume the new buses will arrive for end of July start.

Ohnolookwho

The X22 has appeared on VOSA but do we know what else is broadly planned?

Hope the Glasgow expresses get some improvements in addition to the new buses.

Presume the new buses will arrive for end of July start.
The new coaches are unlikely to arrive before the end of the year due to manufacturing delays caused by strikes.

computerSaysNo

Established Member
The new coaches are unlikely to arrive before the end of the year due to manufacturing delays caused by strikes.
That's not ideal. Are the strikes in the UK or another country?
I was wondering if Stagecoach would get compensation for the delivery delay but I guess we'll never know as they'd likely classify that as "commercially sensitive information".

Ohnolookwho

That's not ideal. Are the strikes in the UK or another country?
I was wondering if Stagecoach would get compensation for the delivery delay but I guess we'll never know as they'd likely classify that as "commercially sensitive information".
from my understanding they are being built abroad, so the strikes were out there. As far as i am aware, the strikes are over but as a result everything from those plants is delayed.

overthewater

Established Member
Detail of the summer express changes have now appeared. The missing early morning journey No95 that was reported on a few pages back will now appear, which is odd as they just reprinted the timetable; another reprint is required.

Improvements to our Express services from Monday 29th July​

A number of service enhancements will take place on Monday 29th July for our Express services across Fife and into Edinburgh, Glasgow and Perth.
Ahead of the Edinburgh Festival, this will increase the number of journeys to and from Edinburgh on services X55, X56, X59 and X61, with some adjustments to timings to improve reliability and in response to customer and staff feedback.
We’re doubling the frequencies on service X55 between Dunfermline, Rosyth and Edinburgh with daytime services operating up to every 15 minutes and evening services every 30 minutes.
We’re also re-instating late night journeys from Edinburgh on Thursday, Friday and Saturday nights too, ensuring safe travel home for those enjoying the Edinburgh Festival and beyond, with all existing tickets and passes valid on these night buses. (These late night journeys will operate Monday to Saturday during the festival, reverting back to Thurs/Fri/Sat evenings thereafter).
More Sunday journeys are being added into the network, providing a 2 hourly service on the X56 (Perth-Kinross-Kelty-Edinburgh).
New Sunday journeys between Kirkcaldy and Edinburgh will also be introduced on the X61 alongside additional journeys on service X59, which means the frequency of service available between Halbeath Park & Ride and Edinburgh will increase to every 15 minutes during the daytime.
On Sundays, service X61 will also provide new links between the East Neuk and Edinburgh, providing more opportunities for tourists and locals alike to visit our many great scenic and visitor attractions. Service X60 will continue to provide these links Monday to Saturdays as it does at present.
A new express service will be introduced between Dunfermline and Stirling, calling at Oakley, Blairhall and Alloa providing journeys up to every hour, 7 days a week. Service X22 provides a brand new bus link across West Fife, offering new travel opportunities and a convenient service for students, as they can connect with Midland Bluebird’s Unilink service at Stirling bus station for the University of Stirling.
With our recent expansion of the West Fife ticket zone, to include Stirling and Forth Valley, it also means customers using this new route benefit from reduced fares through our range of multi-journey ticket options and a new day return ticket to be introduced between Alloa and Stirling too.
A number of other minor timing and stop changes will take place from Monday 29th July on other express services to improve service punctuality and to reflect customer and staff feedback. A summary of all the changes taking place on this date is below, with full timetables available by mid July:

• Service 95: Additional early morning journeys added to provide connections into the new Leven Rail Station. Some evening journeys will also be retimed to improve rail connections.
  • New service X22: New express service linking Dunfermline and Stirling operating via Oakley, Blairhall and Alloa. Service will operate 7 days a week with an hourly frequency.
  • Service X24: Minor timetable changes to improve reliability. Including a later last departure from Glasgow.
  • Service X27: Minor timetable changes to improve reliability and later connections from Kirkcaldy back to Glasgow in the evenings.
  • Service X51: Will no longer serve St John’s Hospital due to low usage to this site. The route is therefore retimed to improve reliability.
  • Service X52: Minor timetable changes.
  • Service X55: The frequency of this service will be increased to operate every 15 minutes through the day Monday – Sunday. Evening frequencies also increased to operate every 30 minutes Monday – Sunday. New journeys will operate Thursday night/Friday Morning, Friday night/Saturday morning and Saturday night/Sunday morning providing a night bus service to and from Edinburgh from Dunfermline/Rosyth/Ferrytoll P&R. These night services will operate Monday – Saturday during the Edinburgh Festival.
  • Services X54/X59/X59A: New journeys on service X59A will be created between Glenrothes and Edinburgh. These will operate via Cowdenbeath, with most journeys on the X54 no longer serving Cowdenbeath to improve reliability. This will increase the number of buses between Glenrothes – Edinburgh from 2 buses per hour, to 3 per hour Monday – Saturday. The X59A will operate every two hours on a Sunday and combine with the new Sunday X56 to provide an additional hourly departure from Halbeath – Edinburgh. Additional evening journeys running specifically during the Edinburgh Festival are also added. We have re-evaluated the limited stop arrangements on these express services between St Andrews/Dundee and Glenrothes to reduce the number of stops served, which will improve reliability and speed up journeys – something that has been requested by customers previously.
  • Service X56: The timetable will be revised, adding earlier and later journeys both ways between Perth to Edinburgh. A two-hourly Sunday service is also introduced. There will be minor revisions to service 56 to fit with revised X56 and retain a consistent timetable.
  • Services X58/X60/X61: These timetables will be revised; service X60 will be replaced in the evenings by X61s, with more journeys between Leven, Kirkcaldy and Edinburgh added. Daytime journeys on the X60 will not serve Dalgety Bay, Pentland Rise, but peak journeys, numbered X60A, will maintain the current route. Throughout the day, service X60 will serve Dalgety Bay Rail Station. The X58 route through Dalgety Bay will continue as at present. Stopping arrangements between St Andrews bus station and Kirkcaldy bus station will be revised to reduce the number of stops to improve reliability and speed up journeys.

Last edited by a moderator:

computerSaysNo

Established Member
Detail of the Summer Express changes have now appeared. The Missing EALRY morning journey that was reported on a few pages back will now appear, Which is odd as they just reprinted the timetable so another reprint here we go...

What are the vehicle allocations likely to be, as I thought East Scotland were struggling to meet the requirement of coaches anyway?
I'd guess it's probably just the X55 and X22 which are needing an increase. X22 I can see getting diesel single-decks. X55 I'm not sure as even if they allocate it any flavour of E400, they'd need enough spare coaches to swap onto it if the Forth Bridge gets closed to high-sided vehicles, unless the plan is to drop back down to a half-hour frequency with the B8RLE PantherLEs in those circumstances?

Also, a personal moan; I wish they'd have just added one extra journey to the X55 per hour and made the other one as an X22 to Stirling (via Dunfermline)! :D

overthewater

Established Member
There are actually enough B8 panthers to operate this increase X55. They might fudge it by having a small gap in the morning so X52 can still use one.

* 9-10 PVR for X55
* 2 - PVR for X51
* 3 - PVR for X61 daytime.

If anything breaks down it will be a decker. I also wouldn't rule out deckers on the X22.

Last edited by a moderator:

BobbyBKinross

There is actually enough B8 panthers to operate this increase X55, They might fudge it by having a small gap in the morning so x52 can still use one.

* 9-10 PVR for X55
* 2 - PVR for X51

If anything breakdown it will be a decker. I also wouldn't rule out decker's on the X22.
Bear in mind that 2 or 3 B8 Panthers will likely get transferred to Perth as it seems like they will now cover all rotas/journeys on it.

fife_circle

There is actually enough B8 panthers to operate this increase X55, They might fudge it by having a small gap in the morning so x52 can still use one.

* 9-10 PVR for X55
* 2 - PVR for X51

If anything breakdown it will be a decker. I also wouldn't rule out decker's on the X22.
If they are using the same route through Blairhall that the 28 does I can’t imagine the deckers will fit through the low bridge on the B9037 towards the bypass. This will obviously be avoided if it instead does a loop of Blairhall and goes back onto the A907 and to Alloa that way.

That’s assuming that the service will actually come into the village, perhaps it might only call at the stop on the A907 and continue through to Alloa. This however would cause issues on the return trip into Dunfermline as there is no stop on the other side of the road there.