• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Stagecoach East Scotland

roadierway77

Assume Cowdenbeath is getting something smaller to operate it?
Considering ALX400s have been the regular on the 84, a route which currently sees barely enough passengers to fill a minibus, I honestly wouldn't be surprised if they simply likewise allocated Tridents or E400s to the 88, but it would make more sense for some E200s/Solos to be transferred.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

overthewater

Established Member
I take you have never travelled on a 88? No chance in heck they could get a E200 down some of the streets :D They have been given another Solo to operate 88.

84 used a school bus decker to save costs. I dare say it will still use a school bus decker.

Last edited by a moderator:

fife_circle

Was looking through some pictures and noticed one of a Enviro 200MMC doing an N55, I’m assuming this was a night version of the X55? When did this route stop? Was it popular and did it run every day or just weekends?

roadierway77

Was looking through some pictures and noticed one of a Enviro 200MMC doing an N55, I’m assuming this was a night version of the X55? When did this route stop? Was it popular and did it run every day or just weekends?
Yes the N55 was the night version of the X55, it ran the same route but I believe it called at all stops. As of summer 2019 there were two journeys in each direction on Friday and Saturday nights, towards Edinburgh at 0030 and 0230, and towards Dunfermline at 0130 and 0330. It was one of many losses to Covid, cut at the start of the pandemic and has sadly never returned. Unfortunately I've no idea if it was busy or not as I never used the service (I've never been one for a 'night out'). I've attached a PDF timetable from 2017 I have downloaded which shows the N55.

Attachments

• ESCOT_Fife_X55.pdf
    172.2 KB · Views: 30

kez19

Established Member
I noticed on Thursday morning one of the Enviro400 on the St Andrews 99 route in green branding for hybrid from England (didn’t see the number), but I remember the buses were mentioned on here (the difference on the bus I noted was rear display was to the right than the left).

gka472l

I noticed on Thursday morning one of the Enviro400 on the St Andrews 99 route in green branding for hybrid from England (didn’t see the number), but I remember the buses were mentioned on here (the difference on the bus I noted was rear display was to the right than the left).

Could it possibly be one of the former Cambridge Scania/E400??? Some of those are in a green livery....15460 did track on the route that day. Here's a pic I took of it in Cambridge back in June https://www.flickr.com/photos/dmc1947/52961712505

HTH

J Burns

15460/1/2 are at St Andrews. 15461 in new livery, the other two are still in Cambridge green.

Yes the N55 was the night version of the X55, it ran the same route but I believe it called at all stops. As of summer 2019 there were two journeys in each direction on Friday and Saturday nights, towards Edinburgh at 0030 and 0230, and towards Dunfermline at 0130 and 0330. It was one of many losses to Covid, cut at the start of the pandemic and has sadly never returned. Unfortunately I've no idea if it was busy or not as I never used the service (I've never been one for a 'night out'). I've attached a PDF timetable from 2017 I have downloaded which shows the N55.
In my limited experience the loadings in recent years weren't especially high outwith festival weekends. Maybe in the region of 6 to 12 passengers. The old N58 was quieter and withdrawn before Covid. The later X55 could be more popular. Nowadays there's a midnight X55 departure from Edinburgh which runs every night, perhaps soaking up a lot of the Dunfermline demand.
I've seen someone catch Lothian's N43 then pick up a taxi for the remainder of their journey to Fife.

overthewater

Established Member
To be fair just before covid, the last X55 was 00.45 on Friday and Saturday night, just 45mins before the N55 at 01.30

roadierway77

In my limited experience the loadings in recent years weren't especially high outwith festival weekends. Maybe in the region of 6 to 12 passengers. The old N58 was quieter and withdrawn before Covid. The later X55 could be more popular. Nowadays there's a midnight X55 departure from Edinburgh which runs every night, perhaps soaking up a lot of the Dunfermline demand.
I've seen someone catch Lothian's N43 then pick up a taxi for the remainder of their journey to Fife.
The midnight X55 is one I've done plenty of times and it's always been busy, especially during the festival when demand is enough to easily fill up a double decker. I imagine the N55 will probably return at some point as Dunfermline continues to grow rapidly a further develop into a dormitory town for Edinburgh but it doesn't appear to be Stagecoach's top priority at the moment.

overthewater

Established Member
Another Poor day for the X7, the Noon departures from Perth and Aberdeen were both pulled. The route badly needs some new coaches that can deal with the operations or the route needs to be cut in two.

Fifescottish

Another Poor day for the X7, the Noon departures from Perth and Aberdeen were both pulled. The route badly needs some new coaches that can deal with the operations or the route needs to be cut in two.
Not just the X7 that needs new coaches, the newest in the fleet are 2018, passenger numbers must surely be high enough again to justify replacements?

overthewater

Established Member
Not just the X7 that needs new coaches, the newest in the fleet are 2018, passenger numbers must surely be high enough again to justify replacements?

I think part of the problem, there isn't enough drivers, add in to the fact Scottish Government paid to make some the oldest coaches Euro 6, What were the rules linked to that? Did the coaches have to operate X number of years? As others have said the amount of Stop - Starting isn't helping either.

Blindtraveler

Established Member
They are simply making trouble for themselves in the future by not putting even 10 or 12 new coaches on the road each year. With an operation with the size and financial clout of stagecoach and with the money that is made by the express networks in and around Central Scotland stretching as far as Dumfries in the Southwest and Aberdeen in the northeast plus other trunk routes they would easily pay for themselves in a short space of time and provide some resilience from when the oldest fleet members simply can't cope anymore. As it is they're all getting hammered on a daily basis and it won't be all that long until they suddenly have to place a huge order of maybe 150 also for within a short space of time which will hit them where it hurts most, the wallet

roadierway77

Stagecoach have in recent memory always seemed to have an ambivalent attitude towards their operation in East Scotland. No public launch for their newest electric buses, no public congratulations to their driver who won best theory test result at Bus Driver of the Year down in Blackpool, little effort to promote their services outside of the AB1... this is in stark contrast to other Scottish operators such as McGill's and Lothian who, while no means perfect, seem to make better efforts to celebrate their staff, vehicles and customers. No doubt the Express network will receive investment at some point but there seems to be little desire for this at the moment, and I would expect that when any new vehicles do arrive, they'll be rolled out with little fanfare.

Volvodart

Established Member
I think part of the problem, there isn't enough drivers, add in to the fact Scottish Government paid to make some the oldest coaches Euro 6, What were the rules linked to that? Did the coaches have to operate X number of years? As others have said the amount of Stop - Starting isn't helping either.
They would need to operate 5 years post conversion unless replaced by zero emission buses, but I do not think it would be a problem to replace them by new or newer diesel coaches given the lack of choice with electric coaches yet.

overthewater

Established Member
Stagecoach have in recent memory always seemed to have an ambivalent attitude towards their operation in East Scotland. No public launch for their newest electric buses, no public congratulations to their driver who won best theory test result at Bus Driver of the Year down in Blackpool, little effort to promote their services outside of the AB1... this is in stark contrast to other Scottish operators such as McGill's and Lothian who, while no means perfect, seem to make better efforts to celebrate their staff, vehicles and customers. No doubt the Express network will receive investment at some point but there seems to be little desire for this at the moment, and I would expect that when any new vehicles do arrive, they'll be rolled out with little fanfare.

Before Covid the company did do public launch events, like the new "65" plate coaches in Kirkcaldy, and new B8 in Dunfermline and even for the Glasgow Airport extension of the X24. However making a lot of fanfare when the services are getting cancelled still to this day, doesn't look good. Remember 2016 there was so suppose to be bus event at Halbeath Park n ride but was axed because of the public back lash over the August service changes, which are still effecting a small number of routes to this day like No7.

kez19

Established Member

They previously few years back ran an X8 from Perth to Arbroath (I remember it being briefly advertised on a couple of the Enviro 400s)

Ohnolookwho

interesting little fact is that both the N55 and N58 destination boards are still programmed into the destination controllers.

Yes I did just create an account to send that fun fact.

Numerous bus services around Arbroath have been cancelled in the past week due to some buses being off the road. As result, Arbroath has got 15070, 15945, 19225, 27127 and 53701 all on loan at the moment.

Last edited by a moderator:
They need to get their act together with the maintenance and sort the Xpress network with some newer stuff. They aren't half dragging the arse out of what they're still using

Jordan Adam

Established Member
They need to get their act together with the maintenance and sort the Xpress network with some newer stuff. They aren't half dragging the arse out of what they're still using
There's widespread rumour internally that there will be a large order for new coaches next year. Long over due if true as the current fleet is in a an atrociously poor condition.

NIT100

There's widespread rumour internally that there will be a large order for new coaches next year. Long over due if true as the current fleet is in a an atrociously poor condition.
Does this rumour extend to if this large order is part of a ScotZEB Phase 2 bid, or just new diesel coaches?

Volvodart

Established Member

Based on when they announced this year's order, the announcement should not be that far off.

Does this rumour extend to if this large order is part of a ScotZEB Phase 2 bid, or just new diesel coaches?
Diesel only, as electric buses will not be confirmed until December if the evaluation runs to plan and that is only the funding award. The order for electric buses is usually announced some time after the funding announcement.

Last edited:

route101

Established Member
At one point I thought the Fife Express routes will go over to E400MMCs. I gather the newest coaches are 67 plates.

roadierway77

At one point I thought the Fife Express routes will go over to E400MMCs. I gather the newest coaches are 67 plates.
They've certainly made more frequent appearances in recent years but the current E400MMCs aren't that well suited to the express network. They do fine and they keep to the timetable well but the seats are a little inadequate for long distance journeys and there's no dedicated space for luggage. Double decker coaches would be the way forward in my opinion, the network is more than busy enough, especially if there are no plans to increase frequencies.