• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Stagecoach Group (Group-wide matters)

oldman

I recently paid contactless on two Stagecoach Cumbria buses - both are recorded by RBS as payments to Scottish Citylink.

Is this normal - for Stagecoach NW or for Stagecoach generally? I could understand the payment being processed by another company in the same group, but Stagecoach are only a minority shareholder in Citylink. If it's normal I would expect something in the FAQs to tell people to expect the unexpected.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
I recently paid contactless on two Stagecoach Cumbria buses - both are recorded by RBS as payments to Scottish Citylink.

Is this normal - for Stagecoach NW or for Stagecoach generally? I could understand the payment being processed by another company in the same group, but Stagecoach are only a minority shareholder in Citylink. If it's normal I would expect something in the FAQs to tell people to expect the unexpected.
Yes, this is perfectly normal. That's how my Stagecoach transactions show up on my banking app.

*Edit* I've just checked my online banking and this is how it shows up:
STGCOACH/CTYLINK

I don't see what's unexpected about that, to be honest.

Last edited:

Megafuss

13808 ex Cambridge now sports CitySightseeing London decals suggesting it maybe in the capital for a while now.
I can't see it back in East until next Easter at the earliest. Despite the summer holidays they are still just running the tour on a 40 min frequency at weekends!

oldman

Yes, this is perfectly normal. That's how my Stagecoach transactions show up on my banking app.

*Edit* I've just checked my online banking and this is how it shows up:
STGCOACH/CTYLINK

I don't see what's unexpected about that, to be honest.
Very odd. On my laptop it says STGCOACH/CTYLINK, on the Android RBS app Scottish Citylink, which would be very unexpected for some people. It must be something with RBS - I also found CO-OP GROUP FOOD and The Co-operative Group for the same transaction.

Screenshot_20210724-223338.jpg

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
If you are referring to external sources you must include a relevant quote from the source, in quote tags, as well as the link to the source.

markymark2000

On Moderation
Only a call centre then? The Stagecoach press suggested it was a full contact centre.

STAGECOACH TO BOOST CUSTOMER SERVICE OFFER WITH MAJOR INVESTMENT IN NEW CONTACT CENTRE​

27 Jul 2021

• Demonstration of continued commitment in customer service
  • New one-stop phone and digital contact point for customers to open in spring 2022
  • Extended opening hours and investment in new technology to improve customer service
Stagecoach, the UK’s biggest bus operator, has announced plans to boost its customer service offer with the launch of a dedicated new customer contact centre.

A new one-stop phone and digital contact point is planned to open in Spring 2022, based in Perth, Scotland. The new multi-skilled team will operate an improved seven-day a week service from the launch of the new centre, and will move to fully extended opening hours on weekdays and weekends within the year to align better with how people travel.

There will be one easy point of contact that customers can use to speak to a member of the Stagecoach team on any queries they have, including questions about timetables, feedback on services, help with smartcards and lost property. Customers will also be able to buy tickets directly through the new shared service contact centre.

Major investment is being made in a new customer relationship management system to help provide tailored support, better understand customers’ end-to-end journeys, and quickly address any emerging common issues.

The search is now underway for a new lead to manage the centre, with customer advisor job roles expected to be advertised in the autumn.

Carla Stockton-Jones, UK Managing Director for Stagecoach, said: “This is a clear demonstration of our commitment to providing the best possible service to customers.

“Our major investment in a dedicated new customer contact centre will allow us to provide a significantly improved service, and our highly-skilled and trained team will have all the latest information on our services and UK-wide network at their finger-tips to be able to quickly help our customers.

“There is a huge opportunity to attract people to more sustainable public transport in the years ahead as national governments look to move to net zero. Delivering the best experience to every single customer is central to helping people make the switch away from cars to public transport.

“The new central contact point will allow us to provide extended opening hours and a seven day service so we’re there to support our customers when and how they need us.”

ENDS

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
Only a call centre then? The Stagecoach press suggested it was a full contact centre.

I'd be inclined to go with the extensive Stagecoach press release and that it will be a phone and digital service rather than the BBC's piece.

All part of Stagecoach's rush to centralise - not a model that's gone well in the past!

markymark2000

On Moderation
I'd be inclined to go with the extensive Stagecoach press release and that it will be a phone and digital service rather than the BBC's piece.

All part of Stagecoach's rush to centralise - not a model that's gone well in the past!
I am a bit surprised that they didn't put this contact centre in Stockport since that is where the shared services centre is.

What else is being centralised? I know that the Shared Services Centre deals with payroll but what else? I didn't get that there was a rush.

(I know this sounds like I am doubting you, it's not that. I am just interested. I can't think of another way to word it better. Sorry).

Megafuss

I am a bit surprised that they didn't put this contact centre in Stockport since that is where the shared services centre is.

What else is being centralised? I know that the Shared Services Centre deals with payroll but what else? I didn't get that there was a rush.

(I know this sounds like I am doubting you, it's not that. I am just interested. I can't think of another way to word it better. Sorry).
There is no room at Stockport without renting another floor or getting rid of the meeting rooms.

Last edited by a moderator:

M803UYA

What they're not saying is that it will be at the expense of local customer service teams...

markymark2000

On Moderation
Implied in the press release, why would Stagecoach have a central contact centre for basic customer enquiries and still maintain the local offices?? It's eliminating the overhead cost of running it locally by having a national centre.
Sorry, I misread your post. I thought it said that it will not be at the expense of local teams. I'm tired. I'm going back to bed. Sorry.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Implied in the press release, why would Stagecoach have a central contact centre for basic customer enquiries and still maintain the local offices?? It's eliminating the overhead cost of running it locally by having a national centre.
Stagecoach naturally closed their local offices during 2020 (Cv-19 related) but it was reported, don't know the accuracy, that they were decreeing that they would all close permanently.

Blindtraveler

Established Member
I often found there's been a huge variation in the quality of local customer support from opco to opco

Whilst this will inevitably mean some local jobs going there might be a few people who be happy to transfer to other roles within the company and and also if this means a degree of consistency in customer support then it's all the good, unless of course that consistency is is a consistently poor standard

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
I often found there's been a huge variation in the quality of local customer support from opco to opco

Whilst this will inevitably mean some local jobs going there might be a few people who be happy to transfer to other roles within the company and and also if this means a degree of consistency in customer support then it's all the good, unless of course that consistency is is a consistently poor standard
If it means that there is actually someone there to pick up the phone, I'm all for it. I tried to contact them a couple of weeks ago, having been left stranded due to a full bus, but the local office number just rang out. I could understand if it was out of office hours, but this was mid-afternoon.

I would be concerned that there would be a disconnect between those with local knowledge and the public, but if I've got to phone Aberdeen about a local query, that local knowledge doesn't exist anyway.

If the staff in Perth have access to sufficient information to inform customers and aren't kept in the dark, I suppose this could work. The big test will be when there's significant disruption.

M803UYA

Sorry, I misread your post. I thought it said that it will not be at the expense of local teams. I'm tired. I'm going back to bed. Sorry.
Not at all, I was simply pointing out that this national call centre will be undertaking work either currently, or previously done by the local operating companies, thus there'd be duplication of roles and Stagecoach are well known for not having duplicating roles. No doubt some of the people working in local companies will move to Perth to help run the national customer service centre, but it's kind of implied by what is not being said in the press release.
If it means that there is actually someone there to pick up the phone, I'm all for it. I tried to contact them a couple of weeks ago, having been left stranded due to a full bus, but the local office number just rang out. I could understand if it was out of office hours, but this was mid-afternoon.

I would be concerned that there would be a disconnect between those with local knowledge and the public, but if I've got to phone Aberdeen about a local query, that local knowledge doesn't exist anyway.

If the staff in Perth have access to sufficient information to inform customers and aren't kept in the dark, I suppose this could work. The big test will be when there's significant disruption.
Going on my Arriva experience, they run a national customer service centre and it is reliant upon local input for them to do their jobs properly. That does result in lots of emails going around, but I was able to resolve most queries the customer service team had. I inherited a backlog due to the disinclination of my superior to do any sort of work and there were advantages in basic questions (such as when does this bus run) being dealt with by a central team.

Either the commercial team, or the Operations Manager/General Manager would be able to answer the 'why didn't this bus run' But the initial part of the customer contact (the 'we're sorry this has happened and we are contacting the relevant person to find out why this has happened') is normally enough for the customer to know you're taking their concerns seriously.

Early in my career I learned how to fend off most of these complaints without requiring further management action, as often the customer just wanted to let off steam. Expectations of people have moved on somewhat in 17 years though and we live in an instant world.

overthewater

Established Member
What if this is to complement the local customer service teams already in place? I doubt it will stop depots sending out tweets on Twitter. It must take a lot of time to cover phones, Facebook and Twitter.

Last edited by a moderator:

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
What if this is to complement the local customer service teams already in place? I doubt it will stop depots sending out tweets on Twitter. It must take a lot of time to cover phones, Facebook and Twitter.
Depots won't be able to send out Tweets if they don't have the login details for the relevant Twitter account. It's easy enough to revoke access.

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Even First Bus depots can send out tweets.
It all depends on who has access to the Twitter account. Each Twitter account has a single username and password, regardless of how many people use it. While it may be the case that individual depots have access to the same login details, it might not be desirable to allow this, and I can understand why; do you really want Disgruntled Derek from Dunfermline having access to a corporate communication channel when the brown stuff has hit the fan?

Information that comes from local depots is vital. Without it your front-line customer service staff don't have all the information they need at their fingertips in order to provide a decent service. Unless the staff at the depots have had proper training in dealing with the public directly, it's risky allowing them access to such channels.

By concentrating the public-facing staff in one place and having them properly trained, it allows local staff to get on with what they're good at
without having to deal with the public directly. Give the front-line staff access to proper information about what's happening on the ground and make sure those on the ground provide proper information to those on the front-line. Not being customer-facing does not necessarily mean that you're not customer-focussed.

RomeoCharlie71

Established Member
Information that comes from local depots is vital. Without it your front-line customer service staff don't have all the information they need at their fingertips in order to provide a decent service. Unless the staff at the depots have had proper training in dealing with the public directly, it's risky allowing them access to such channels.
The situation four years ago at Stagecoach was that individual depots only had permissions to send new tweets - i.e. not reply to tweets, or access DMs, etc. It's all done through Hootsuite.

I agree that the information that depots provide is extremely helpful - when it can be understood, that is. See this, for example: https://twitter.com/stagecoachse/status/1325850217619615745?s=21
#Ashford : Due to unforeseen circumstance's we are unable to serve b-line service between 16.43 19.19.
sorry for any disruptions this may of caused

LUYMun

As nobody has yet made a post about route updates, on 29 August the Hants & Surrey subsidiary has had a couple of services to benefit from the "Bus Back Better" funding pot, awarded to Surrey County Council, in order to improve evening and Sunday services. Meanwhile, others have been altered to maintain reliability.

Route 715 (Guildford - Kingston) saw new journeys introduced later on Monday to Saturday evenings, with the last buses arriving at 21:20 (Kingston) and 22:25 (Guildford).

Routes 70/71/72 (Guildford - Midhurst/Woolmer Hill/Eashing Lane, respectively) saw an improved Sunday and Bank Holiday service, with joint Surrey and West Sussex County Council fundings, where route 71 ran hourly between Guildford and Eashing Lane, extending two-hourly to Haslemere then beyond to Midhurst, interworking between the 70 and 71.
On Monday to Saturdays, most late afternoon and evening buses were retimed to leave Guildford 5 minutes later. Further retimings saw an extra journey introduced on route 71 between Chiddingfold and Woolmer Hill School, and an afternoon one replacing school route 471 (Rodborough School - Chiddingfold), and some early evening journeys on the same route no longer served Eashing Lane Green towards Guildford.

Route 46 (Guildford - Farnham/Aldershot) withdrew diversions via Broadwater School due to low patronage. Instead, these travel via Elstead.

Route 65 (Guildford - Alton) had significant retimings by up to 15 minutes in order to better cater start/finish times at Alton College.

Route 65X (Phoenix Green - Alton College) withdrew from Phoenix Green, diverted to start/finish at Hartley Wintney Baptist Church, whilst the lunchtime journey, withdrawn in 2019, is reintroduced from Fleet.

Routes 39A/B/C (Woking Shopper Buses) had revised journey times, some running with reductions by up to 12 minutes. Route 39C also has the same departure time from Woking on Tuesdays and Thursdays.

Route 417 (Chobham - Farnborough Colleges) was diverted to serve Frimley Green and Mytchett.

Other routes had very minor retimings. In addition, there are a series of infrastructure programmes underway in Guildford aimed at providing faster and more punctual journeys.

LUYMun

Some general news that I have noticed in Stagecoach's service update, at least from the area where I am from (Stagecoach South).

ServiceUpdatesArticle | Stagecoach (stagecoachbus.com)

Smartcard - update on issuing cards, top ups and contactless payment​

14 Oct 2021 to 23 Oct 2021​

From Thursday 21st October, we will be improving the way SmartCards are topped up/issued on bus and when paying by contactless methods.
Rest assured the changes will have little, if any, impact on the customer, with much of the improvements introduced for the benefit of the driver, to improve time and ease of the issue process.
You will be asked to present your Smartcard, and then your payment method will be requested, at which point your product will be added to your smartcard which the driver will return to you on completion of the transaction.
We don't forsee any problems with the introduction of this update, but would ask that you please bear with our staff whilst they adapt to the new setup.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Have Stagecoach operated any service into Southampton?
Well, they did own Hampshire Bus and the Southampton area operations for 6 months before they sold them to Solent Blue Line and the depot/bus station for redevelopment, so yes, they have operated a lot of services!

After that, they had the X64 running through from Alton and Guildford via Winchester for a few years. They were also one of many firms who had a crack at running a Portsmouth to Southampton express but realised they couldn't compete with the train.

RELL6L

Very substantial cutbacks from 30/31 October in Yorkshire (inc Chesterfield). Many frequent routes cut back by 1bph, including Sundays, a number of routes reduced from every 30 minutes to hourly. The SL/SL1A cut back from 5bph to 3bph now just meeting some of the trams at Middlewood. X10 reduced from hourly plus peak extras to just one round trip each peak.
Described as temporary - but who is to say if they will ever be reversed.
Some double deckers on extra routes, Chesterfield 25, 54/A, Sheffield 25, Barnsley X19.

Better than random missing journeys though. Looking at the 4bph 66 this morning there appears to have been a 60 minute gap followed by a 45 minute gap.

Changes to some timetables​

We pride ourselves in running great, reliable, bus services and we’re sorry that we haven’t been able to run services to our normal standard recently.
Along with many other industries, bus operators across the country are experiencing a shortage of staff, leaving the company with not enough drivers to run all journeys each day and though our teams have worked incredibly hard, sadly we’ve had to cancel some journeys, sometimes at short notice.
The situation has worsened recently and has been compounded by issues at the DVLA, where delays issuing licences to bus drivers means that the company has had to wait weeks, or even months, before newly recruited drivers can start their training.
From Saturday 30 October, we’re making temporary changes to some timetables to help us run more reliable services while we recruit more bus drivers and we’re hoping to return to normal timetables as soon as we can.
Full details of the changes are below, please click on the service name for the timetable.

Barnsley and Dearne Valley area service changes from Saturday 30 October 2021

1 Barnsley - Mapplewell - Staincross
Monday to Saturday daytime frequency reduced from every 15 minutes to every 20 minutes. Sunday daytime frequency reduced from every 30 minutes to hourly.
6 Barnsley – Worsbrough, Bank End
Monday to Saturday daytime frequency reduced from every 15 minutes to every 20 minutes. Sunday daytime frequency reduced from every 30 minutes to hourly.
9 Rotherham – Rawmarsh Circular
Monday to Saturday daytime frequency reduced from every 15 minutes to every 20 minutes.
11 Barnsley – Athersley North
12 Barnsley – Athersley South
27 Barnsley - Grimethorpe - Wombwell
Retimed to maintain coordination with buses 28 and 32 on Pontefract Road.
28 Barnsley – Grimethorpe – Pontefract
Monday to Saturday daytime frequency (between Barnsley and Hemsworth) reduced from every 30 minutes to hourly. No change to journeys to/from Pontefract.
32 Barnsley – Cudworth
Monday to Saturday daytime frequency reduced from every 15 minutes to every 20 minutes.
59, 59a Barnsley – Royston – Wakefield
Monday to Saturday daytime journeys to Wakefield reduced from every 30 minutes to hourly.
66 Barnsley – Elsecar
93, 95 Barnsley – Darton
Monday to Friday daytime frequency reduced from every 10 minutes to every 15 minutes. Saturday frequency reduced from every 15 minutes to every 20 minutes.
219, 219a Barnsley – Goldthorpe – Doncaster
Monday to Saturday daytime frequency reduced from every 30 minutes to hourly. Great Houghton will still be served but at different times.
221 Doncaster – Mexborough – Rotherham
Monday to Saturday daytime frequency reduced from every 20 minutes to every 30 minutes.
X10 Barnsley – Darton – Leeds
This service will only operate Monday to Friday peak periods, at 0650 and 1610 from Barnsley and 0755 and 1730 from Leeds. No service on Saturday or Sunday. Alternative journeys between Barnsley and Darton are available on service 93. Alternative journeys between Barnsley, Darton and Leeds are available on local trains.
X19 Barnsley – Goldthorpe – Doncaster
Monday to Friday off-peak and Saturday daytime frequency reduced from every 30 minutes to hourly. Service retimed to maintain coordination with buses 218 and 219 between Barnsley, Ardsley and Darfield. Double deckers will be provided on some journeys.

Sheffield area service changes from Sunday 31 October 2021

25 Bradway - Sheffield - Woodhouse
Minor timetable changes. Double deckers will be provided on some journeys.
43, 44 Sheffield – Dronfield – Chesterfield
Monday to Friday frequency reduced from 4 buses per hour to 3 buses per hour.
52 Hillsborough – Sheffield – Woodhouse
Monday to Saturday daytime frequency reduced from every 12 minutes to every 15 minutes. Sunday service frequency reduced from every 20 minutes to every 30 minutes.
83a Ecclesfield – Sheffield – Lodge Moor
Monday to Saturday daytime frequency reduced from every 30 minutes to every 40 minutes.
88 Ecclesfield – Sheffield – Bents Green
Monday to Saturday daytime frequency reduced from every 12 minutes to every 15 minutes.
120 Fulwood – Sheffield – Halfway
Monday to Saturday daytime frequency reduced from every 12 minutes to every 15 minutes. Sunday service frequency reduced from every 20 minutes to every 30 minutes.
SL1, SL1a Middlewood – Stocksbridge
Monday to Saturday daytime frequency reduced from every 12 minutes to three buses per hour, maintaining tram connections. Sunday frequency reduced from 3 buses per hour to 2 buses an hour.

Chesterfield area service changes from Sunday 31 October 2021

1, 1a Newbold - Chesterfield - Langwith
25 Chesterfield - New Whittington
Monday to Saturday frequency reduced from every 30 minutes to hourly. Double deckers will be provided. Retimed to maintain coordination with bus 50a.
39 Grangewood Farm - Holme Hall
43, 44 Sheffield – Dronfield – Chesterfield
51 Chesterfield - Danesmoor
Monday to Friday off-peak and Saturday daytime frequency reduced from every 20 minutes to every 30 minutes.
54, 54a Chesterfield - Clay Cross
Monday to Saturday daytime frequency reduced from every 12 minutes to every 15 minutes. Double deckers will be provided on all daytime journeys.