• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Stagecoach North Scotland (Bluebird and Highland)

route101

Established Member

Not sure if these have been posted yet – looks like the return of a seperate Aviemore to Cairngorm service, presumably due to increased footfall now the funicular is open again. Apparently this will be operated by Interdeck coaches specially adapted to carry skiing equipment!

Also new is a seasonal Aviemore to Dufftown service, connecting at Aberlour for Elgin. Hopefully this sees a bit of usage as there is currently no connection between the Moray and Highland sections of the Spey Valley. A few extensions to Dalwhinnie and Laggan have been tacked on to the 39 as well.

A few changes on Skye too but no timetable yet.
Shame the Aviemore to Dufftown runs on weekdays only.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Jordan Adam

Established Member
Interesting they went for Scania and not Volvo/Plaxton
The Scania K320IB4 Mobi-People Explorers were purposefully ordered for the school contracts at Tain which require 70 seaters however due to a low bridge near Milton deckers are not suitable. Word is that Stagecoach and Volvo couldn't come to an agreement regarding price with Volvo inflating the prices at the last minute. There's a further coach order believed to consist of Mercedes Tourismos for Highland for the Dounreay Contracts and Bluebird for the M96.

I don't think they will get new buses for Dounreay as they have approached another company to take over in December, but will look nice on the M96.

Last edited:

Blindtraveler

Established Member
The Scottish operations across the board need probably about 100 new coaches and this disagreement with Volvo might be just one of the reasons that we haven't had any for a while. Several operations not least Highland are crying out for new vehicles

The Highlands has the 2nd newest fleet in scotland. East Scotland must far be the worst; they still operate about 30+ ALX400s, including Rennies.

Last edited by a moderator:

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
The Scania K320IB4 Mobi-People Explorers were purposefully ordered for the school contracts at Tain which require 70 seaters however due to a low bridge near Milton deckers are not suitable. Word is that Stagecoach and Volvo couldn't come to an agreement regarding price with Volvo inflating the prices at the last minute. There's a further coach order believed to consist of Mercedes Tourismos for Highland for the Dounreay Contracts and Bluebird for the M96.

I don't think they will get new buses for Dounreay as they have approached another company to take over in December, but will look nice on the M96.
We require sources for the information you're providing. If you're not able to provide a publicly available source, please let us know if it's random gossip on the grapevine, or from internal sources.

Jordan Adam

Established Member
We require sources for the information you're providing. If you're not able to provide a publicly available source, please let us know if it's random gossip on the grapevine, or from internal sources.
The bit regarding Volvo inflating prices is just a rumour, i did deliberately start that sentence with "word is". The rest is either known fact (regarding the Scanias going to Tain for school services and low bridge at Milton) or from internal sources.

Regarding Dounreay Source is Internal.

Volvodart

Established Member

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
As the M96 is technically operated by Citylink, let's keep the discussion to the one place:

How do I find which tickets to buy for a journey from Moray to Aviemore on the 36A service? The journey exists on the Stagecoach journey planner and gives a cost of £7.30, but when you click on the price or search through the "buy tickets" button, the only route available is via Inverness which both takes far longer and is more expensive. Even trying from Aberlour to Aviemore, the ticket finder is only showing prices for route 36 to Elgin them a 10 then a 6 then an M39.

Caleb2010

How do I find which tickets to buy for a journey from Moray to Aviemore on the 36A service? The journey exists on the Stagecoach journey planner and gives a cost of £7.30, but when you click on the price or search through the "buy tickets" button, the only route available is via Inverness which both takes far longer and is more expensive. Even trying from Aberlour to Aviemore, the ticket finder is only showing prices for route 36 to Elgin them a 10 then a 6 then an M39.
The stagecoach App has the 36A on it, when you look for the fare though it just tells you to ask the driver, very helpful I know. Maybe if you marry the two pieces of info together you will get the right combination, who knows with stagecoach.

There's next to no publicity for the service, its not marked on any of the stops, at least in the Dufftown Area. Beware though, until the end of the school term there's 2 timetables, one for Mondays to Thursdays and one for Fridays.

Add to that some vehicles operating the service (and it can be operated by just about anything Aviemore depot has) have not had the destinations updated and merely show Stagecoach on the blinds.

All in all - another quality Stagecoach operation!

The stagecoach App has the 36A on it, when you look for the fare though it just tells you to ask the driver, very helpful I know. Maybe if you marry the two pieces of info together you will get the right combination, who knows with stagecoach.

There's next to no publicity for the service, its not marked on any of the stops, at least in the Dufftown Area. Beware though, until the end of the school term there's 2 timetables, one for Mondays to Thursdays and one for Fridays.

Add to that some vehicles operating the service (and it can be operated by just about anything Aviemore depot has) have not had the destinations updated and merely show Stagecoach on the blinds.

All in all - another quality Stagecoach operation!
Thanks for that, I'll just need to ask the driver.
Yes I've been looking at the official timetable which could do with emphasizing the fact that not all journeys run on all days.

Yes I've noticed that with the vehicles too, sometimes a journey is operated with a Solo and other times it's with a double deck.

Thanks for the tip on the destination screens, I'll keep that in mind.

Volvodart

Established Member
Stagecoach launch faster bus service between Aberdeen and Inverness

https://www.grampianonline.co.uk/ne...r-bus-service-between-aberdeen-and-in-316834/

Route M96 will be known as The Gordon Highlander
Route M96 will be known as The Gordon Highlander
Four new specially branded coaches have come into service on the A96 offering faster bus between Aberdeen and Inverness seven days a week.

The vehicles will make limited stops along the route including at Blackburn, Huntly, Keith, Fochabers, Elgin Alves, Brodie and Nairn with a total journey time of just over three hours and leave Aberdeen at 7.30am, 9.30am, 11.30am, 1.30pm, 3.30pm and 5.30pm for Inverness with runs terminating at Elgin leaving at 7.30pm and 9.30pm on a daily basis.
Services from Inverness depart at 7.15am, 9.15am, 11.15am, 1.15pm, 3.15pm and 5.15pm for Aberdeen and 7.15pm and 9.15pm for Elgin.

The new service M96 has been named The Gordon Highlander, in tribute to the historic local infantry regiment which operated for 200 years before being amalgamated in 1994.
Chief Executive of The Gordon Highlanders Museum, John McLeish, said: “It has been a pleasure to work with Stagecoach in launching The Gordon Highlander service that runs through the heartland of traditional Regimental recruiting territory.

"We hope that this will inspire more people to re-connect with their family history and to visit our much-loved Museum here in Aberdeen.”

Major Grenville Irvine Fortescue DL, Chairman of The Gordon Highlanders Association, said “I’m delighted that Stagecoach has chosen to ‘fly the flag’ in memory of the Regiment and its very proud 200 year history. I am sure that Gordon Highlanders throughout the north east will enjoy making use of the service on these special Regimental coaches”.

Stagecoach North Scotland Managing Director, David Beaton, said: “The new Gordon Highlander service further increases options for sustainable travel in the North of Scotland.
"Choosing to travel by bus is one of the easiest ways to address climate change through carbon reduction of our own
journeys.
"We’re honoured to name the service after the Gordon Highlanders regiment, whose ranks formed part of the local communities we serve today.”

As part of Stagecoach’s ongoing commitment to support the Armed Forces, it has confirmed that free travel will be available on all its bus and tram services across the UK for military and ex-military personnel on Armed Forces Day.
Armed Forces Day – on Saturday, June 24- is a chance for the public to show support for the men and women who make up the Armed Forces community: from currently serving troops to Service families, veterans and cadets.
Stagecoach also offers free bus and tram travel every year for veterans and military personnel on Remembrance Day and Remembrance Sunday.
Edit 14/6/2023 - this branding is not carried by the coach shown above so must have either been a mock up or temporary addition.

Last edited:
I took the service today so to answer my own question, for the benefit of anyone else wondering, through tickets between Elgin and Aviemore are available; an adult single is £9.80, so more than the £7.30 suggested by the Stagecoach website. Maybe the £7.30 is a day ticket or something.
Add to that some vehicles operating the service [...] merely show Stagecoach on the blinds.
The bus I took today was like that and I didn't see a piece of paper anywhere with the service number and destination: isn't it a legal requirement for these to be shown?

Caleb2010

I took the service today so to answer my own question, for the benefit of anyone else wondering, through tickets between Elgin and Aviemore are available; an adult single is £9.80, so more than the £7.30 suggested by the Stagecoach website. Maybe the £7.30 is a day ticket or something.

The bus I took today was like that and I didn't see a piece of paper anywhere with the service number and destination: isn't it a legal requirement for these to be shown?
It it a legal requirement yes!

As is displaying the legal lettering for the operating company, yet we’ve had coaches in Dufftown on the 36 with a paper notice in the windscreen saying simply ‘Borrowed from Highland’.

The vehicle showing highland legal lettering and operating a bluebird route!

It it a legal requirement yes!

As is displaying the legal lettering for the operating company, yet we’ve had coaches in Dufftown on the 36 with a paper notice in the windscreen saying simply ‘Borrowed from Highland’.

The vehicle showing highland legal lettering and operating a bluebird route!
All the buses from Highland had the legal lettering ( for on hire to ) on the Windscreen when they left Inverness.
(Talking about 53628/53708/53702)

Last edited:

PG

Established Member
It is a legal requirement yes!

Schedule 2 of The Public Service Vehicles Accessibility Regulations 2000 has this provision:

Route and destination displays​

8.—(1) A regulated public service vehicle shall be fitted with a route number display and a destination display
I'm struggling to find legislation or guidance relating to any requirements for vehicles operating a local bus service to use such displays. Perhaps @Caleb2010 is able to provide a source for their statement that it is a legal requirement?

M803UYA

Schedule 2 of The Public Service Vehicles Accessibility Regulations 2000 has this provision:

I'm struggling to find legislation or guidance relating to any requirements for vehicles operating a local bus service to use such displays. Perhaps @Caleb2010 is able to provide a source for their statement that it is a legal requirement?
If you read on to 8-2 of Schedule 2 that may answer your question? I've copied and pasted it below, it's from the above link, just further down. I would assume the vehicles concerned are 'regulated vehicles' for the purposes of PSVAR (so they're not a 16 seat slam door Ford Transit!)

Route and destination displays​

8.—(1) A regulated public service vehicle shall be fitted with a route number display and a destination display in the following positions—

(a)on the front of the vehicle, as close as practicable to that part of the windscreen which is within the driver’s field of vision; and

(b)on the nearside of the vehicle adjacent to the entrance which is closest to the front of the vehicle at a height of not less than 1.2m to the lower edge of the display characters and not more than 2.5m to the upper edge of the display characters measured from the ground and, if fitted with a kneeling system, with the vehicle in the normal condition for vehicle travel.

(2) A regulated public service vehicle shall be fitted with a route number display on the rear of the vehicle.

(3) Any route number display shall be capable of displaying—

(a)characters of not less than 200mm in height on the front and rear of the vehicle and not less than 70mm in height on the side of the vehicle;

(b)characters that contrast with the display background;

(c)characters that are provided with a means of illumination; and

(d)not less than three characters.

(4) Any destination display shall be capable of displaying—

(a)characters of not less than 125mm in height when fitted to the front of a vehicle and not less than 70mm in height when fitted to the side of a vehicle;

(b)characters that contrast with the display background;

(c)characters that are provided with a means of illumination; and

(d)not less than fifteen characters.

(5) Destination information shall not be written in capital letters only.

(6) In this paragraph—

“character” means capital letters or numbers of a specified height and lower case letters of a size relative to the text of a capital letter for a given typeface;

“destination” means a word or words to describe the route or final destination; and

“route number” means any combination of numbers or letters which designate a bus route.

PG

Established Member
If you read on to 8-2 of Schedule 2 that may answer your question? I've copied and pasted it below, it's from the above link, just further down. I would assume the vehicles concerned are 'regulated vehicles' for the purposes of PSVAR (so they're not a 16 seat slam door Ford Transit!)
Thank you. However, with my pedant hat on, I note that item (4) contains the text
capable of displaying
while item (6) defines the meaning of the words
destination  and route number.

None of which actually seems to specify that the display must be used!
I'm sure that separate (older) legislation/regulations do specify that the destination and/or route number must be displayed but I haven't managed to locate them.

Caleb2010

Can’t do a screenshot merge on this phone but:

The Public Service Vehicles (Registration of Local Services) (Scotland) Regulations 2001​

b)to be displayed a notice, clearly legible from the exterior of the vehicle, indicating the destination and the route number.

Volvodart

Established Member
All the buses from Highland had the legal lettering ( for on hire to ) on the Windscreen when they left Inverness.
(Talking about 53628/53708/53702)
53628, 53702/8 now have Bluebird Buses Limited legal lettering seen with my own eyes on Monday and Tuesday.

Caleb2010

We’re they transferring to cover for this M96 service.

From a look at the timetable it would appear that Elgin is supplying the vehicles for the service with them starting or finishing at Elgin (or surrounding towns)

We’re they transferring to cover for this M96 service.

From a look at the timetable it would appear that Elgin is supplying the vehicles for the service with them starting or finishing at Elgin (or surrounding towns)
Yes the 67 plates were meant to do the M96 and these 3 would cover them.