• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Stagecoach South & South East

SouthEastBuses

On Moderation
*Mod note: If there is already a thread about this, then please move the messages to the relevant thread. Thank you for your understanding*

As you guys know, Stagecoach South will takeover a lot of routes in Guildford previously run by Arriva. This thread was created for the purpose of discussing potential new allocations for the relevant routes.

I hope Stagecoach allocates Dennis Tridents and Scania E400s on the 63, that route is one of my locals whenever I'm in Horsham. But I think they will most likely put GX61/GX62/SL64 Enviro200s on it.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Surreyman

*Mod note: If there is already a thread about this, then please move the messages to the relevant thread. Thank you for your understanding*

As you guys know, Stagecoach South will takeover a lot of routes in Guildford previously run by Arriva. This thread was created for the purpose of discussing potential new allocations for the relevant routes.

I hope Stagecoach allocates Dennis Tridents and Scania E400s on the 63, that route is one of my locals whenever I'm in Horsham. But I think they will most likely put GX61/GX62/SL64 Enviro200s on it.
I suspect the limited maintenance facilities for double deckers at Peasmarsh rule this out.
I would expect the new order to be E200s all round. Additional Tridents at Aldershot displacing E200s is a possibility.
There are around 10 - 06/56 Reg Darts/SLF which could probably be put back in service.
It would be nice to fantasise about some brand new or 'stock' E200MMC but unlikely in the timescale and the post covid financial climate.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
I suspect the limited maintenance facilities for double deckers at Peasmarsh rule this out.
I would expect the new order to be E200s all round. Additional Tridents at Aldershot displacing E200s is a possibility.
There are around 10 - 06/56 Reg Darts/SLF which could probably be put back in service.
It would be nice to fantasise about some brand new or 'stock' E200MMC but unlikely in the timescale and the post covid financial climate.
I think your caution is well placed.

Stagecoach have been reduced to some moving around of fleet to meet various requirements etc rather than purchase new and spending will be limited for a while, so not the Stagecoach behaviour of a few years ago when the new broom was ushered in by a dozen new vehicles!

I suspect that you might have some e200mmcs sneaked in from another location, but mainly Darts/Tridents will be resuscitated and used directly or to release e200s to Peasmarsh. In fact, you might be simply replacing Arriva e200s with Stagecoach ones, just that the latter will be better presented with fewer passive/aggressive notices inside. In fact, Guildford/Woking have not generally been places that have seen many deckers in recent years, and Peasmarsh will limit that a bit.

Last edited:

LUYMun

Mod note: Post moved from Stagecoach General Discussion thread

With Arriva closing their Guildford operations, it is confirmed by Surrey County Council that Stagecoach will take over most, but not all, routes from Arriva alongside some service changes effective from 18 December 2021:

34/35/134/135 (Camberley - Woking - Guildford) - These will see an increased frequency on Saturdays, as well as the renumbering of school routes 134 and 135 into the main 34 and 35 numbers.
36/37 (Guildford - Merrow Park) - These will be withdrawn and replaced by Stagecoach's new route 6 (nicely fitting in with the town service numbers).
47 (Brookwood - West End)
53 (Guildford - Ewhurst)
- This route will see an increased frequency on Saturdays.
63 (Guildford - Horsham)
91 (Woking - Knaphill)
- This route will have increased frequencies on Saturdays and Sundays.

There will also be some route changes to route 1 (Guildford town service) to replace some of the 36/37, as well as the A, B and C services that Arriva have suspended.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hophead

Established Member
Stagecoach are going to have to work wonders before the 53/63 are in need of deckers (excepting a few school journeys perhaps). Way back in post-1986 Alder Valley days, Olympians were regularly allocated.

These registrations do open up new opportunities for those with time on their hands and like the look of a Gold DayRider for £9.10. Currently the 17 (Horsham - Brighton) only overlaps with another Stagecoach route for the half-mile or so of North Street in Brighton (with the 700). With a link over to Guildford as well, a massive Stagecoach-only loop will become possible. Currently you can do this on multiple operators on a Discovery ticket which seems to cost the same from Stagecoach, though if you buy from anybody else, you can save yourself 10p.

SouthEastBuses

On Moderation
Stagecoach are going to have to work wonders before the 53/63 are in need of deckers (excepting a few school journeys perhaps). Way back in post-1986 Alder Valley days, Olympians were regularly allocated.

These registrations do open up new opportunities for those with time on their hands and like the look of a Gold DayRider for £9.10. Currently the 17 (Horsham - Brighton) only overlaps with another Stagecoach route for the half-mile or so of North Street in Brighton (with the 700). With a link over to Guildford as well, a massive Stagecoach-only loop will become possible. Currently you can do this on multiple operators on a Discovery ticket which seems to cost the same from Stagecoach, though if you buy from anybody else, you can save yourself 10p.

So strange that Stagecoach sells the Discovery for £9.10 yet others only do so for £9!

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
See Route One is reporting Stagecoach's expansion in Guildford

They are still reporting both Stagecoach and Diamond on the 91 though I expect to the latter not pursue that now. Also, an acknowledgement that they are looking for additional space to park the vehicles; I'm betting on an overflow yard for Peasmarsh rather than a Woking o/s

Stagecoach South will step in from 18 December to take on some of the work that will be given up by Arriva Kent and Surrey when it closes its depot in Guildford.

Stagecoach has registered several new services to take over Arriva routes in Surrey and into West Sussex that are to be withdrawn. It will also extend one of its current town routes in Guildford to serve an additional area jointly with a newly registered route. Some of the replacement services will see enhanced timetables under Stagecoach.

To resource the work that it will take on, Stagecoach says it will need a PVR of 26. A spokesperson adds that 70 additional drivers and support staff will be required, while it is now “actively seeking” a suitable site to base those extra vehicles. Stagecoach South Regional Director Rupert Cox says the operator is “busy recruiting drivers, cleaners and engineers” to cater for the expansion.

As posted on the Hants and Surrey Bus Blog, some of the routes registered by Stagecoach receive subsidy from Surrey County Council for evening and Sunday journeys. Mr Cox adds that the group “has been working very closely” with the local authority to ensure that those journeys continue to operate.

Meanwhile, Rotala subsidiary Diamond Bus South East has registered replacements for a pair of routes currently operated by Arriva from Guildford depot. Both will start in January 2022. They are the 436 between Woking and Weybridge, and the 91 between Woking and Knaphill. The latter service also forms part of the Stagecoach registrations in response to Arriva’s withdrawal from Guildford.

Soon after announcing its plans to close Guildford depot, Arriva entered talks with Falcon Coaches about a potential takeover, but those discussions ended with no agreement being reached.

Surreyman

See Route One is reporting Stagecoach's expansion in Guildford

They are still reporting both Stagecoach and Diamond on the 91 though I expect to the latter not pursue that now. Also, an acknowledgement that they are looking for additional space to park the vehicles; I'm betting on an overflow yard for Peasmarsh rather than a Woking o/s
I calculate Stagecoach are going to acquire an additional PVR of @ 25, so will probably need at least an additional 28/29 vehicles.(+ @ 60 drivers).
Heard a whisper that Falcon are thinking of registering the 436 but not confirmed, probably just gossip.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
I calculate Stagecoach are going to acquire an additional PVR of @ 25, so will probably need at least an additional 28/29 vehicles.(+ @ 60 drivers).
Heard a whisper that Falcon are thinking of registering the 436 but not confirmed, probably just gossip.
Did you read the article? Stagecoach have said 25 extra PVR and 70 additional staff

Surreyman

Did you read the article? Stagecoach have said 25 extra PVR and 70 additional staff
I hadn't but have now! - Routeone you mean. PVR 1 out, less staff than I thought!
Both Stagecoach & Safeguard have been advertising for drivers locally for a few weeks along with just about every local coach co.
My money's on Stagecoach registering an Operating Centre at the Friary bus stn as per Arriva(Vosa - 7 vehicles). No idea how long the process takes?
I think you could reasonably park up to 15 buses there.
When Alder Valley closed their Woodbridge Road depot @1985 they parked a lot of their fleet at the Friary, opened a small depot at Goldsworth Park - Woking and then opened/acquired another small depot in Cranleigh which is still there - used now by Gastonia coaches.

Man of Kent

I hadn't but have now! - Routeone you mean. PVR 1 out, less staff than I thought!
Both Stagecoach & Safeguard have been advertising for drivers locally for a few weeks along with just about every local coach co.
My money's on Stagecoach registering an Operating Centre at the Friary bus stn as per Arriva(Vosa - 7 vehicles). No idea how long the process takes?
I think you could reasonably park up to 15 buses there.
When Alder Valley closed their Woodbridge Road depot @1985 they parked a lot of their fleet at the Friary, opened a small depot at Goldsworth Park - Woking and then opened/acquired another small depot in Cranleigh which is still there - used now by Gastonia coaches.
Arriva are currently responsible for running the bus station on behalf of the owner (which is almost certainly either Guildford council or the owners of the shopping centre). Stagecoach would need permission from the owner before being able to register it as an operating centre, and if it is the council, the decision wheels often grind slowly (though as the Fastrack AZ service to Amazon in Dartford shows, private sector property developers are not necessarily fast either).

Surreyman

Arriva are currently responsible for running the bus station on behalf of the owner (which is almost certainly either Guildford council or the owners of the shopping centre). Stagecoach would need permission from the owner before being able to register it as an operating centre, and if it is the council, the decision wheels often grind slowly (though as the Fastrack AZ service to Amazon in Dartford shows, private sector property developers are not necessarily fast either).
I seem to recall it is the Shopping centre owner - property company - can't remember which one.
Arriva currently have an office/driver reporting centre in the bus stn, I imagine this will continue under Stagecoach ownership.(Arriva are quitting town anyway).
As for the O licence, surely that is down to the Traffic Commissioners.
It would only be for parking vehicles as an 'outstation' and given that Stagecoach would(might) be 'parking buses in a bus station overnight' which it uses anyway, I can't see what the problem would be, - Arriva already have an O licence at the Friary for 7 vehicles.
I imagine the property company would be interested only in so much as they could receive rental income from such an arrangement
I get that applying for an O licence at short notice in the current climate would be a slow process but there must be a short notice procedure for just such a scenario.
This may all be academic, Stagecoach may have found extra parking somewhere else.

LUYMun

I might be misremembering, but did Stagecoach previously operate the route 34 (Camberley - Guildford) in their stripey days?

Flange Squeal

Established Member
From Monday (15 Nov) the 95 between Bexhill, Battle and Conquest Hospital will be operated by Seven Sisters Bus & Coach (operator of heritage vehicles and Eastbourne Sightseeing).

From Monday 15 November, Seven Sisters Bus and Coach company will operate most journeys on route 95.

The timetable and fares will remain the same, and you'll still be able to buy single, return and day tickets on the bus.

Your Stagecoach tickets and passes will still be valid for use, but you won't be able to buy weekly tickets from the driver.

Weekly or longer period tickets are available to buy on the Stagecoach website or app and will continue to be valid on the 95 service.

This is a temporary arrangement and we expect Stagecoach to resume operating the full service in the future.

Last edited:

Typhoon

Established Member
From Monday (15 Nov) the 95 between Bexhill, Battle and Conquest Hospital will be operated by Seven Sisters Bus & Coach (operator of heritage vehicles and Eastbourne Sightseeing).

Presumably while they recruit and train up more drivers. I notice another batch of cancellations on SE twitter this morning, Silverhill does seem to be particularly hard hit.

SouthEastBuses

On Moderation
Any recent fleet movements at Guildford depot seeing that it's now only about a week before Stagecoach takeover the Arriva Guildford routes?

Flange Squeal

Established Member
I can’t help with what’s coming, but it’s understood that agreement has been reached to use Artington Park & Ride as overnight overspill parking, at least for the short term. It has in the past also been used for similar purposes at time of high water levels/flooding at the main Peasmarsh depot.

In other news, January will see the Gold reduced every 10 down to 12 mins, Kite every 15 down to 20 mins, and YoYo every 10 down to 15 mins due to driver shortages.

Surreyman

I can’t help with what’s coming, but it’s understood that agreement has been reached to use Artington Park & Ride as overnight overspill parking, at least for the short term. It has in the past also been used for similar purposes at time of high water levels/flooding at the main Peasmarsh depot.

In other news, January will see the Gold reduced every 10 down to 12 mins, Kite every 15 down to 20 mins, and YoYo every 10 down to 15 mins due to driver shortages.
I had wondered if Artington might be used, there are 3 bus/coach parking spaces near the bus stand but when I visited a few weeks ago for my booster jab, I noticed that there are height barriers in place to the main car parking area, so would need to be removed if the main parking area is to be used.
Peasmarsh has an O licence for 60 discs, current allocation is @ 47, so on paper could take another 13 vehicles, parking space is pretty tight for 47 but if staff cars were moved to Artington, more buses could be parked there.
Stagecoach South have(had) @ 10 '56 reg Dart SLFs in reserve last time I checked.
Have to assume that Aldershot will be used as a base for the remainder (Stagecoach quoted an additional pvr of 26).

Flange Squeal

Established Member
I had wondered if Artington might be used, there are 3 bus/coach parking spaces near the bus stand but when I visited a few weeks ago for my booster jab, I noticed that there are height barriers in place to the main car parking area, so would need to be removed if the main parking area is to be used.
When the site has been used in the past, they’ve just been opened up for the evening run in, locked, and reopened for the morning run out. They were of the hinged variety so someone was just sent up with a key for the padlock. That said, that was last year - can you recall if the ones you saw looked like new fixed position ones? The hinged ones in place in 2020 were rather rickety I’ll admit!

Surreyman

When the site has been used in the past, they’ve just been opened up for the evening run in, locked, and reopened for the morning run out. They were of the hinged variety so someone was just sent up with a key for the padlock. That said, that was last year - can you recall if the ones you saw looked like new fixed position ones? The hinged ones in place in 2020 were rather rickety I’ll admit!
Have to confess I didn't look that closely! I am sure you are right and they can be unlocked easily.

Flange Squeal

Established Member
Looks like the Guildford area won't be a full service from the start afterall, with a Saturday service in week one and then as yet unconfirmed reduced frequencies in the New Year.

Expanded Stagecoach network to launch with Saturday timetables​

DECEMBER 15, 2021/ HANTS & SURREY BUS BLOG
This Saturday (18th December) is of course a big day for our area, with Stagecoach, Falcon Coaches and Safeguard taking on pieces of the current Arriva network from that date. Talking of which, Arriva driver Chris Errett has put together a list of last journeys on each route (and any variations of each) which can be found as the caption to this photo on his Flickr page.
The Stagecoach website has been updated today though with news about their significantly expanded Guildford and Woking network. A Saturday timetable will be in operation on weekdays on most routes, while they “face a short-term staffing situation due to external factors affecting the wider transport and logistics sector”. This is currently listed as Monday 20th to Thursday 23rd December, after which the previously published festive period schedule comes into force through to the New Year, which is largely Saturday or Sunday timetables anyway.
Stagecoach specifically single out weekday-only routes 39A, 39B, 39C, 40, 47 and 100 as continuing with their weekday schedules, as well as the Guildford to Aldershot ‘KITE’ which I believe is operated primarily by Aldershot garage (bar a few morning journeys). There is no mention of the single route 28 weekday morning journey, so one assumes this will not run. Note also that weekday-only routes 503, 520, 523 and 538 are not mentioned. Although operating into or near Guildford, they are in fact operated out of Aldershot rather than Peasmarsh (Guildford) and are still mentioned as operating normally on the Christmas & New Year service page (which has been updated to reflect the 34/35 operating a Saturday timetable in the Blackwater Valley area).
It therefore appears that the following routes are the ones that will be operating to Saturday schedules on weekdays from Monday 20th December:
  • 1: Stoughton – Guildford – Bushy Hill
  • 2: Stoughton – Guildford
  • 6: Guildford – Burpham – Merrow Park
  • 17: Guildford – Wood Street – Fairlands
  • 33: Guildford – Mayford – Woking
  • 34: Guildford – Woking – Camberley
  • 35: Guildford – Woking – Camberley
  • 46: Guildford – Elstead – Farnham
  • 53: Guildford – Cranleigh – Ewhurst
  • 63: Guildford – Cranleigh – Horsham
  • 65: Guildford – Farnham – Alton
  • 70: Guildford – Haslemere – Midhurst
  • 71: Guildford – Haslemere – Woolmer Hill
  • 72: Guildford – Godalming – Eashing Lane
  • 81: Woking – Barnsbury Estate
  • 91: Woking – Goldsworth Park – Knaphill
  • 200: Guildford – Artington (Park & Ride)
  • 300: Guildford – Merrow (Park & Ride)
  • 715: Guildford – Cobham – Kingston
  • N1: Guildford Night Bus
The situation going into 2022 hasn’t yet been confirmed on Stagecoach’s website, but my guess is this may partly depend on how many drivers currently still working for Arriva opt to take up future employment with Stagecoach, following any redundancy package on offer. Surrey County Council’s website does have a statement reading “From Tuesday 4th January 2022 there will be revised timetables with reduced frequency on services 1, 2, 6, 34, 35, 47, 53, 63 & 91″ though, so the excitement surrounding the increase in frequencies – particularly on Saturdays – may have to be delayed somewhat going forward. As more is known, we will of course report it here.
Screenshot of the Stagecoach website with today’s announcement:
scsat.jpg

NorthernSpirit

Established Member

Will this mean that the 17 Horsham to Brighton will be operated by Guildford or will it remain operating out of the Henfield outstation?

Guildford have received 36255 and 36256. Good luck with 256 but 255 is actually a good bus

Flange Squeal

Established Member
Guildford have received 36255 and 36256. Good luck with 256 but 255 is actually a good bus
A number of vehicles from South Coast depots, namely Chichester and Worthing, have reportedly also begun moving northwards today, although I have no identities.

36255 was at Portsmouth and 36256 at Basingstoke as of yesterday, possibly for inspection prior to moving to Guildford?