• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Stagecoach South Wales - Fleet News & Discussion

DaveHarries

Established Member
Plenty more than that have been registered but perhaps it's not gone through the system yet

Merthyr 22 they have won from Peters Minibus Hire
Caerphilly H, Pontypridd 104 and 106 and Aberdare 89 won
Abercwmboi to Penywaun 91 won from Keepings Coaches
Porth 173 won from Thomas of Rhondda

The 52 registration has been amended to renumber it to a 26. That's all approved. The current 26 also has route and timetable amendments. (that will be one hell of a route, 3h end to end unless there are some major changes.

Full list on bustimes.org https://bustimes.org/licences/PG0006630. There are 72 registration changes showing as of now. For full details, click the bustimes link, click into the relevant registration and it will give you the details.
Thanks for that. I've just had a look. The 52 (Blackwood - Abertillery) becomes Service 26A (according to the route list) but whether it becomes the 26 or 26A I wonder why they relate it to the 26 at all instead of keeping the present route number which would surely cause less confusion. Unless the 26 between Ebbw Vale and Cardiff is given a different route number. Ebbw Vale to Cardiff via. Blackwood would indeed be a long route and would almost justify going under the Traws Cymru branding. Service T26 perhaps? I think it more likely that the 26 between Cardiff and Blackwood will be extended over the route of the current 52 (Blackwood - Abertillery - Ebbw Vale) with the whole lot becoming the 26, hence the change of route number.

As for Service 1B I wonder if this will be some kind of Abertillery area shuttle interworking somehow with the revised 26 but we will see.

It also crosses my mind that some more vehicles may well have to come from somewhere to make sure that there is adequate vehicle cover. Anyone know anything? There may well not be a shortage of new drivers too if Stagecoach manage to get some of the soon to be ex. NAT (Taff's Well) drivers.

Dave

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

markymark2000

On Moderation
Thanks for that. I've just had a look. The 52 (Blackwood - Abertillery) becomes Service 26A (according to the route list) but whether it becomes the 26 or 26A I wonder why they relate it to the 26 at all instead of keeping the present route number which would surely cause less confusion. Unless the 26 between Ebbw Vale and Cardiff is given a different route number. Ebbw Vale to Cardiff via. Blackwood would indeed be a long route and would almost justify going under the Traws Cymru branding. Service T26 perhaps? I think it more likely that the 26 between Cardiff and Blackwood will be extended over the route of the current 52 (Blackwood - Abertillery - Ebbw Vale) with the whole lot becoming the 26, hence the change of route number.
It could be that 26A is just the registration number to help them differentiate between the registrations internally (same way that the T4 is actually registered as T4, T4C, T4L, T4N, T4W but in reality runs through as a T4).

As for Service 1B I wonder if this will be some kind of Abertillery area shuttle interworking somehow with the revised 26 but we will see.
1B is them winning the circular there which is currently operated by Henleys

It also crosses my mind that some more vehicles may well have to come from somewhere to make sure that there is adequate vehicle cover. Anyone know anything? There may well not be a shortage of new drivers too if Stagecoach manage to get some of the soon to be ex. NAT (Taff's Well) drivers.
That is the biggest question which none of us know the answers to. It was only a year ago they were cancelling 700+ trips per week due to lack of drivers and that is when they had the agency staff. Time will tell I suppose but they will need a lot more staff to make this work and especially if the local rumours are true about just how much Stagecoach has won.

They have however lost the R1 and R2 contracts which is 3 buses worth of work. The 86X cancellation is 1 bus. Creigiau 136 has been deregistered which is 1 bus saving. Fflecsi converted into normal service may help. Plus whatever other changes Stagecoach have up their sleeves, none of us know. We only see 'timetable change' but in reality that could be halving a frequency for example. Hopefully they tell us sooner rather than later.

anthony263

Established Member
It could be that 26A is just the registration number to help them differentiate between the registrations internally (same way that the T4 is actually registered as T4, T4C, T4L, T4N, T4W but in reality runs through as a T4).

1B is them winning the circular there which is currently operated by Henleys

That is the biggest question which none of us know the answers to. It was only a year ago they were cancelling 700+ trips per week due to lack of drivers and that is when they had the agency staff. Time will tell I suppose but they will need a lot more staff to make this work and especially if the local rumours are true about just how much Stagecoach has won.

They have however lost the R1 and R2 contracts which is 3 buses worth of work. The 86X cancellation is 1 bus. Creigiau 136 has been deregistered which is 1 bus saving. Fflecsi converted into normal service may help. Plus whatever other changes Stagecoach have up their sleeves, none of us know. We only see 'timetable change' but in reality that could be halving a frequency for example. Hopefully they tell us sooner rather than later.
There's only a limited number of our drivers in Taff's well who can TUPE over to stagecoach. I was offered the chance as I do the 600 every Sunday but I've refused as I won't work for Stagecoach or go back to First Cymru unless a last resort.

Stagecoach got the

103/104/106 services Monday to Saturdays.600/89 on Sundays
404 Monday to Sundays

However they have lost evening 404s Monday to Saturday to us.

The 26 blackwood to Cardiff service is being changed to run.over Caerphilly mountain replacing the 86X instead of running via Taff's well and Whitchurch.

A new 120X service is to run during evenings and all.day Sunday between Parc Nantgarw and Caerphilly to replace it.pity the 120 doesn't run the full route on Sundays there a lot of people asking for it at pontypridd bus stn.

The 78 merthyr tydfil to pontypridd will run.through Cilfyndd instead of straight down.the A470.

maybe a more realistic timetable will be done for the sunday service 600 as RCT won't change it despite it being impossible to run too

Last edited:

Dai Corner

Established Member
There's only a limited number of our drivers in Taff's well who can TUPE over to stagecoach.
TUPE In the full sense, retaining all terms and conditions? That sounds quite unusual if there is no formal arrangement to transfer the business from the old employer to the new one.

DaveHarries

Established Member
The N&P (Notices & Proceedings) for 07th February 2024 contains the following entries:

Phil Anslow:
- A1 (Abergavenny) which looks to be a new registration as they don't currently operate it.

Stagecoach South Wales:
- Caerphilly & Newport: A, B (X), C, 50 (all timetable variations)
- Merthyr & Ebbw Vale: 26 (Route & TT variations as expected), 53 (renumbered from 3 with TT variations)
- Rhondda & Pontypridd: 56, 78A (78), 120X, 121, C9, C18 (all TT variations)

The 78 merthyr tydfil to pontypridd will run through Cilfyndd instead of straight down.the A470.
Interesting: the N&P contains an entry for the 78 today but for timetable, not route, revision.

Dave

Last edited by a moderator:

markymark2000

On Moderation
maybe a more realistic timetable will be done for the sunday service 600 as RCT won't change it despite it being impossible to run too
Sadly they forgot to cut out the Cardiff extension. The once per week bus from Aberdare to Cardiff which just so happens to be on a Sunday evening!

The 26 blackwood to Cardiff service is being changed to run.over Caerphilly mountain replacing the 86X instead of running via Taff's well and Whitchurch.

A new 120X service is to run during evenings and all.day Sunday between Parc Nantgarw and Caerphilly to replace it.pity the 120 doesn't run the full route on Sundays there a lot of people asking for it at pontypridd bus stn.
If that is true about the 26, that's a really good change and long overdue in my opinion.

Regarding the Sunday 120s, I agree they should run through but there would be a good argument that it would have to be commercial as between Parc Nantgarw and Pontypridd it of course duplicates the 132.

Last edited by a moderator:

anthony263

Established Member
Sadly they forgot to cut out the Cardiff extension. The once per week bus from Aberdare to Cardiff which just so happens to be on a Sunday evening!

If that is true about the 26, that's a really good change and long overdue in my opinion.

Regarding the Sunday 120s, I agree they should run through but there would be a good argument that it would have to be commercial as between Parc Nantgarw and Pontypridd it of course duplicates the 132.
I'm regularly late doing the 1307 from pontypridd to aberdare. Due in from Aberdare at 1306 to depart at 1307.

The service is pretty well used a earlier bus up the valley from pontypridd before the 1147 is a must.

My regulars not pleased stagecoach taking over the sunday service especially as I always drop them off by one of the pubs plus of I know im going to be late i usually drop them a text before I get back on my bus at merthyr tydfil

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
Heres the link stagecoach have posted which has all the new timetables. Some issues I've already spotted. Last bus merthyr to Bargoed on a Sunday 1505. Its 1905 or later at the moment

That 51 timetable looks wrong i.e. it's erroneous. There's services that start at Rhymney Bridge in the evening but none terminate there. If I were a betting man, the times should include later departures (e.g. the 1724 from RB should start from Merthyr at 1705)

RELL6L

That 51 timetable looks wrong i.e. it's erroneous. There's services that start at Rhymney Bridge in the evening but none terminate there. If I were a betting man, the times should include later departures (e.g. the 1724 from RB should start from Merthyr at 1705)
I was going to say exactly the same, I think there could be three more departures from Merthyr.

DaveHarries

Established Member
Stagecoach South Wales have a number of revisions for early August of which only the following relate to Cardiff routes. They were in the VOSA Bus Service registrations for 17th and 18th June:

60/60A Aberdare - Cardiff (effective 03rd August) (Timetable change)
26 Cardiff - Blackwood (effective 05th August) (Route & Timetable changes, presumably to use bus station)
26 Blackwood - Ebbw Vale (effective 05th August) (Timetable changes)
X3 Pontyppol - Cardiff (effective 05th August) (Timetable changes)
132 Maerdy - Cardiff (effective 05th August) (Route & Timetable changes, Evenings & Sundays) (use of bus interchange on certain journeys only?)

As a side note these come with a wealth of other changes from Stagecoach to South Wales services on routes around Bridgend (72), Bargoed, Aberdare & Merthyr (8, 25, 27, 33, 35, 53, 81, 103, 172) and Brecon (40, 40A): details are not on Stagecoach South Wales website when I looked this morning.

Dave

markymark2000

On Moderation
Stagecoach South Wales have a number of revisions for early August of which only the following relate to Cardiff routes. They were in the VOSA Bus Service registrations for 17th and 18th June:

60/60A Aberdare - Cardiff (effective 03rd August) (Timetable change)
26 Cardiff - Blackwood (effective 05th August) (Route & Timetable changes, presumably to use bus station)
26 Blackwood - Ebbw Vale (effective 05th August) (Timetable changes)
X3 Pontyppol - Cardiff (effective 05th August) (Timetable changes)
132 Maerdy - Cardiff (effective 05th August) (Route & Timetable changes, Evenings & Sundays) (use of bus interchange on certain journeys only?)

As a side note these come with a wealth of other changes from Stagecoach to South Wales services on routes around Bridgend (72), Bargoed, Aberdare & Merthyr (8, 25, 27, 33, 35, 53, 81, 103, 172) and Brecon (40, 40A): details are not on Stagecoach South Wales website when I looked this morning.

Dave
The 26 seems to be the 26 going back to via Taffs Well as Stagecoach have reregistered the 86X which runs over Caerphilly Mountain.

X15 has an amendment in for 21st June and the details from the Traffic Commissioner (TC data which is then put into a user friendly way and displayed on bustimes) are 'Timetable vary. Cancel Monday to Saturday daytime services. Evening and Sunday services remain.' If the daytime services are to go, that will be quite a blow.

DaveHarries

Established Member
X15 has an amendment in for 21st June and the details from the Traffic Commissioner (TC data which is then put into a user friendly way and displayed on bustimes) are 'Timetable vary. Cancel Monday to Saturday daytime services. Evening and Sunday services remain.' If the daytime services are to go, that will be quite a blow.
Hmm. I wonder if the introduction of the Ebbw Vale to Newport rail service has had an effect on the numbers using the X15. If so that might explain why the evening services remain because there are fewer evening services and I believe at least some of those run Ebbw Vale - Newport - Cardiff Central.

Dave

Dai Corner

Established Member
Hmm. I wonder if the introduction of the Ebbw Vale to Newport rail service has had an effect on the numbers using the X15. If so that might explain why the evening services remain because there are fewer evening services and I believe at least some of those run Ebbw Vale - Newport - Cardiff Central.

Dave
The main bus service on that corridor is the 151 between Newport and Newbridge which isn't changing. Anecdotally, few passengers are using the trains to Newport.

The loss of the X15 will be a blow to passengers between western Newport and the Western Valleys, particularly students of Crosskeys College and staff/patients of the Royal Gwent Hospital who will have to go into the city centre and back out again. Also passengers from Brynmawr and Abertillery wishing to change to the train at Llanhilleth for Cardiff or Newport.

I believe the evening and Sunday services are subsided and it's the commercial daytime services that Stagecoach are withdrawing. Maybe the local authorities will step in and tender them.