• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Stagecoach West - Fleet News & Discussion

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Callum15632

On another note, Stagecoach West will be losing the X10 Cribbs Causeway to Clevedon to Transpora in April and they will be extending it to Southmead Hospital and extending the hours of operation.

Edvid

Established Member
Still yet to be delivered after it was previously spotted at the Larbert site, I'm guessing.

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
This thread is for discussing Stagecoach West.

We're Stagecoach West and we provide local bus services in Bristol, Gloucestershire, Herefordshire, South Gloucestershire, Swindon and Wiltshire.

Oxfordshire is nowhere on that list of places, so please discuss that operation in an existing thread (either use the forum's built in search function to find it, or use the site search option on your favourite search engine) or, if there is no existing thread, start a new one.

Regardless of how things are arranged within the company, as far as the public is concerned they are two separate operations. We will therefore keep Oxfordshire separate. If anyone disagrees with this decision, feel free to contact us directly; do not discuss it within the thread.

Thanks

Last edited:

Callum15632

37322 YY15 OWJ is at Bristol from Gloucester. Is this a transfer or a loan? If it is a loan when is it going back and what bus is it covering for?

DaveHarries

Established Member
The VOSA Bus Service Registration entries for 23rd May 2024 contain registration of the cancellation by Stagecoach West of the following routes in Wiltshire all effective 30-Jun-2024:

- 33 (Devizes - Bromham)
- 40 (Calne Centre - Calne Tesco)
- 42 (Calne - Marlborough)
- 43 (Calne - Heddington)
- 842 (Abbeyfield School - Calne)

The reason given on the CSV file for the end of the 43 is "end of tender contract" so probably the same with all 5 routes.

HTIOI,
Dave

TheWalrus

Established Member
The VOSA Bus Service Registration entries for 23rd May 2024 contain registration of the cancellation by Stagecoach West of the following routes in Wiltshire all effective 30-Jun-2024:

- 33 (Devizes - Bromham)
- 40 (Calne Centre - Calne Tesco)
- 42 (Calne - Marlborough)
- 43 (Calne - Heddington)
- 842 (Abbeyfield School - Calne)

The reason given on the CSV file for the end of the 43 is "end of tender contract" so probably the same with all 5 routes.

HTIOI,
Dave
I think all 5 routes are part of the same tender. Do we know if the contract has been retendered or naybe withdrawn and replaced with Wiltshire Connect or another operator?

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
I think all 5 routes are part of the same tender. Do we know if the contract has been retendered or naybe withdrawn and replaced with Wiltshire Connect or another operator?
They are an interworked package for two vehicles (I think). This is how Wiltshire do things so you have a single journey on the 33 from Devizes to Bromham on a Saturday simply because it runs in off a 42 that runs as per the rest of them to Avebury but then runs to Devizes rather than to Calne.

TheWalrus

Established Member
They are an interworked package for two vehicles (I think). This is how Wiltshire do things so you have a single journey on the 33 from Devizes to Bromham on a Saturday simply because it runs in off a 42 that runs as per the rest of them to Avebury but then runs to Devizes rather than to Calne.
Yes correct, two vehicles usually two mini E200s I believe, or was lst time I was in the area.

markymark2000

On Moderation
Absoutely barmy that they don't just put the 33 on a deminims contract to save the operators being so messy. Faresaver have a bus on the 33 which finishes in Devizes at 17:54 and this bus seems to run back to Chippenham depot so surely it's in everyones best interests to give the trip to Faresaver. Save Faresaver dead mileage and keeping it all with one operator to save the faffing. Especially since I had to recently argue with Stagecoach Customer Service that they do run the 33. They kept saying that they didn't operate it because everyone forgot that it was only one trip.

Lynford1976

Absoutely barmy that they don't just put the 33 on a deminims contract to save the operators being so messy. Faresaver have a bus on the 33 which finishes in Devizes at 17:54 and this bus seems to run back to Chippenham depot so surely it's in everyones best interests to give the trip to Faresaver. Save Faresaver dead mileage and keeping it all with one operator to save the faffing. Especially since I had to recently argue with Stagecoach Customer Service that they do run the 33. They kept saying that they didn't operate it because everyone forgot that it was only one trip.
Wiltshire do this to keep costs low. Quite often there is interworking with schools contracts. It's why there's still a fairly extensive network of services in the county, unlike, say, neighbouring Dorset.

markymark2000

On Moderation
Wiltshire do this to keep costs low. Quite often there is interworking with schools contracts. It's why there's still a fairly extensive network of services in the county, unlike, say, neighbouring Dorset.
The 33 is a single trip on a Saturday. I'd love to see the cost difference for that to be deminimis to Faresaver rather than part of this contract. Especially when it's given to a contractor who likes to deny it's existence.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
That vehicle doesn't run to back to Chippenham empty but goes to Sells Green outstation.

I would assume that the number of passengers affected by such an anomaly on a Saturday teatime is pretty low, and it makes more sense to do it as they do. Wiltshire Council do a pretty good job at protecting services - you don't have to look far (Somerset, Dorset, BaNES, Hampshire) to see counties in a much more parlous state.

markymark2000

On Moderation
That vehicle doesn't run to back to Chippenham empty but goes to Sells Green outstation.
If they won the tender perhaps it would be done differently on that trip but fair enough if currently it runs to Sells Green.

Wiltshire Council do a pretty good job at protecting services - you don't have to look far (Somerset, Dorset, BaNES, Hampshire) to see counties in a much more parlous state.
Commendable. It really is. Just issue it as a separate tender or something, just anything to stop this one random trip being tagged onto this specific tender, when there are other options for this route and try to keep it simpler for passengers. I wouldn't be surprised if the usage was low considering Stagecoach don't want you to know about it. Stagecoach data only shows the route as operating as far as Bromham. The only way to know that the service exists is to specifically search the timetable of the route and get the PDF as no journey planner picks it up.

I can't link to the exact results but I can link to Stagecoach web journey planner for people to check this for themselves. Just make sure to select Saturday.
1716637882400.png
Photo shows the results from Devizes to Calne today (Saturday 25th May) showing journeys at 16:10, 17:10 and 18:10 all 49 then changing onto the 55 in Swindon. Journeys taking over 2 hours. Completely omits the 33 which runs at 17:55 and takes less than 30 minutes.

richard13

33: Saturday 17:55 from Devices. Faresaver have it on their forthcoming timetables as being operated by them from 6 July.