• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Stansted Airport fines

furlong

Established Member
I remain of the opinion that typical first-time cases of someone tapping in then reaching Stansted and being unable to tap out do not qualify for a penalty fare under the existing system. (I also believe the relevant section of the SRA's policy remains persuasive as the matter has not been reconsidered or the guidance replaced - the arguments still hold.) The regulator chooses to look the other way instead of carrying out its job and intervening. All such PFs should be cancelled and refunded with added compensation.

The 2002 policy said:
However, an operator may not want to include certain stations for a number of reasons. For example, if the station:
• serves a port or airport and is used by a large number of foreign visitors and people who do not often travel by train, making it undesirable to charge penalty fares to passengers from this station.

At that time the scheme covered
West Anglia Great Northern (all routes except passengers to and from Stansted Airport)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

fandroid

Established Member
One irony of that ITV report is that on the online summary there are two photos of the gates for Stansted Express. One clearly shows warning signs on the floor in front of the gates. I've been through several times and the warnings are really in your face (not just on the floor!) It might have been a "nice little earner" once but now there's a real effort to deter contactless/Oyster use and it's only catching those who go through in a trance. There are even multilingual warnings on the on-train displays. They came up several times in my short journey from Liverpool Street to Tottenham Hale yesterday. When the service goes to 4 per hour it will be practical to get off at Tottenham Hale to exit and buy a new ticket without losing much time. The Tottenham Hale boarders though will just have to try waking up.

I do agree though that they should just charge the full fare at Stansted and leave the traveller to claim back the contactless charge. All enough hassle to remind them to buy a proper ticket in future.
Leaving the Stansted line to the later stages of Project Oval was silly in the extreme. It's as if they chose the easy ones first and parked that one in the "too difficult" tray.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
One irony of that ITV report is that on the online summary there are two photos of the gates for Stansted Express. One clearly shows warning signs on the floor in front of the gates. I've been through several times and the warnings are really in your face (not just on the floor!) It might have been a "nice little earner" once but now there's a real effort to deter contactless/Oyster use and it's only catching those who go through in a trance. There are even multilingual warnings on the on-train displays. They came up several times in my short journey from Liverpool Street to Tottenham Hale yesterday. When the service goes to 4 per hour it will be practical to get off at Tottenham Hale to exit and buy a new ticket without losing much time. The Tottenham Hale boarders though will just have to try waking up.

I do agree though that they should just charge the full fare at Stansted and leave the traveller to claim back the contactless charge. All enough hassle to remind them to buy a proper ticket in future.
Leaving the Stansted line to the later stages of Project Oval was silly in the extreme. It's as if they chose the easy ones first and parked that one in the "too difficult" tray.
The messaging at Liverpool Street and Tottenham Hale is very in-your-face and doesn't exactly make for a pleasant travelling environment. If GA weren't in this for the money they wouldn't penalise people who arrived at Stansted with Oyster cards or contactless - they'd just make them pay the fare. Of course, that's much less financially lucrative than £100+ Penalty Fares.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
The messaging at Liverpool Street and Tottenham Hale is very in-your-face and doesn't exactly make for a pleasant travelling environment. If GA weren't in this for the money they wouldn't penalise people who arrived at Stansted with Oyster cards or contactless - they'd just make them pay the fare. Of course, that's much less financially lucrative than £100+ Penalty Fares.
…and hence why GA describe them as a “commercial matter”. It’s clear they see it as a revenue stream.

Brissle Girl

Established Member
Does the income stream for the Ecpress service go to the government, or does the airport get a cut? If the former, surely a Freedom of Information request should yield the relevant information?

JaJaWa

Established Member
Does the income stream for the Ecpress service go to the government, or does the airport get a cut? If the former, surely a Freedom of Information request should yield the relevant information?
The penalty fares seem to be going to Greater Anglia directly from the ITV report.

If they really want to resolve this before contactless can be expanded, could they split the Liverpool Street and Tottenham Hale gatelines, and not accept contactless on the Stansted Airport part?

But if the current industry setup means TOCs can’t accept ticketing income, but CAN accept penalty fare income, Greater Anglia have just found themselves in the ideal situation…

Last edited:

Skymonster

Established Member
Having seen all the signage warning that contactless cannot be used to Stansted in the TV report (on the floor, adjacent to the contactless readers, erc), I have little sympathy for those who get caught and penalty fared - indeed, given the level of signage I question whether penalty fare is justified and whether reported for prosecution would be a more suitable action. I wouldn’t mind betting a fair few contactless users are trying it on and hoping to get away with it.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
If they really want to resolve this before contactless can be expanded, could they split the Liverpool Street and Tottenham Hale gatelines, and not accept contactless on the Stansted Airport part?
Not remotely feasible at Tottenham Hale as all northbound trains use the same platform.

Not possible at Liverpool Street either as you can use contactless quite legitimately between Liverpool Street and Tottenham Hale on Stansted Express branded trains.

JaJaWa

Established Member
Not remotely feasible at Tottenham Hale as all northbound trains use the same platform.

Not possible at Liverpool Street either as you can use contactless quite legitimately between Liverpool Street and Tottenham Hale on Stansted Express branded trains.

I'm not sure how either of those are limiting factors – they just need to split the gates between "Stansted Airport" and "Other destinations" (excuse the quick mock-up!). This would be the solution in Asia where such a situation occurs.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-12-02 at 22.24.24.png
    Screenshot 2023-12-02 at 22.24.24.png
    1 MB · Views: 90

35B

Established Member
I'm not sure how either of those are limiting factors – they just need to split the gates between "Stansted Airport" and "Other destinations" (excuse the quick mock-up!). This would be the solution in Asia where such a situation occurs.
And when someone in a hurry goes through the "wrong" gate? It's not as though the gatelines at either Liverpool Street or Tottenham Hale are generously sized - and I'm not sure I'd like to see the reaction of a crowd alighting from a train off (say) the Cambridge line being told they can't use half of the gates as they try to clear the platform.

Bikeman78

Established Member
I am sure most of them can read English fine and it sounds like there are plenty of warnings, suggesting it isn't a conspiracy to make easy money from tricking people on purpose. Indeed, from the photos of the gateline vinyls I don't think they could make it any clearer. Clearly the PF posters need to be compliant, but chances are most people are going to see the vinyls long before the posters.
You say that but I looked at the photos twice before I read your post and hadn't noticed them. I haven't been to Tottenham Hale since the middle of last year. I couldn't even tell you if those gate vinyls were there by then or not.

SparkieLover

I saw this on London Tonight about people unwittingly getting Penalty Fared when arriving at the Airport:

Text:
With passengers tapping in with their cards or phones at London stations, only to find out they need a ticket at Stansted Airport station, ITV London's Rags Martel investigates what customers have described as a money-making scheme

It has become part of everyday life in the capital to use your card or phone to tap in to travel on the transport network.

But tonight, ITV News has uncovered a operation that penalises people who do just that to travel to London Stansted Airport.

Despite having contactless payment systems activated on the gates of the Stansted Express, thousands who don't have a physical ticket are being given large fines of up to a hundred pounds.

The travel watchdog has questioned how Stansted can be the only airport in our region that doesn't allow ticketless travel.

Passengers who didn't spot warning signs before their trip have described it as a money-making scheme.

Thoughts

Last edited:

camflyer

Youtube report:

“Cheated” Contactless Passengers Fined - Secret Filming Investigation​

It has become part of everyday life in the capital to use your card or phone to tap in to travel on the transport network. But ITV News has uncovered an operation that penalises people who do just that to travel to London Stansted Airport. Despite having contactless payment systems activated on the gates of the Stansted Express, thousands who don't have a physical ticket are being given large fines of up to a hundred pounds. The travel watchdog has questioned how Stansted can be the only airport in our region that doesn't allow ticketless travel. Passengers who didn't spot warning signs before their trip have described it as a money-making scheme. No one from Greater Anglia, who run the Stansted Express - was available to talk to us. But their statement said there is lots of “signage” informing passengers that there is “no contactless option”. Adding: “We’re keen to see the extension of contactless ticketing to Stansted Airport, as that would simplify the position and be more convenient for customers” #london #train #trains #greateranglia #stanstedairport #stansted #transportforlondon #airport #stanstedexpress #contactlesspayments #contactless #tfl #underground #londonundergroundtransport

Last edited by a moderator:

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor
they could of course do ten seconds of research before travelling.

A google search for “stansted express contactless” returns this result at the very top: “You can't use Oyster or Contactless payment cards on Stansted Express services to/from Stansted Airport…”

Attachments

• 85F9AACA-F4CA-474A-94AD-5CA8D752B455.png
    85F9AACA-F4CA-474A-94AD-5CA8D752B455.png
    378.4 KB · Views: 31

Established Member
I boarded a Stansted Express with luggage recently, only travelling to Tottenham Hale. A member of staff had seen me tap in, so stopped me and made sure I wasn't going to the airport.

There's signage absolutely everywhere at both the Liverpool Street StanEx gatelines and Tottenham Hale Stations as well as multi lingual announcements onboard that contactless is not valid to the Airport. Not really sure what else the railway can do beyond sorting out contactless validity to the Airport.

Kite159

Veteran Member
Cue Greater Anglia making the call at Tottenham Hale pick-up only heading towards the Airport to stop the 'confusion'. Also relocating the platforms they use at Liverpool Street to be P8 - P10 where they can block off the walkway between P1-P7 & P8 disabling the contactless readers to enter the platform (so nobody can physically board the train at Liverpool Street using Oyster/Contactless, although won't help at Tottenham Hale due to the shared platforms)

What more can the railway do, other than extending Contactless to include Broxbourne - Stansted Airport, similar to Gatwick? Does Southend Airport have similar issues? I was at Tottenham Hale on Saturday and there was plenty of announcements that "Contactless/Oyster isn't valid to Stansted Airport"

Last edited:

Djgr

Established Member
I boarded a Stansted Express with luggage recently, only travelling to Tottenham Hale. A member of staff had seen me tap in, so stopped me and made sure I wasn't going to the airport.

There's signage absolutely everywhere at both the Liverpool Street StanEx gatelines and Tottenham Hale Stations as well as multi lingual announcements onboard that contactless is not valid to the Airport. Not really sure what else the railway can do beyond sorting out contactless validity to the Airport.
So why can't they sort out contactless validity to the Airport?

fandroid

Established Member
Are there actual automatic ticket gates at the airport station? I got the impression from previous threads that every ticket was being manually inspected there and the biggest beef was that the queues to exit the station were taking far too long for people's peace of mind.

Edvid

Established Member
Unless they've installed gates there in recent months, then no. On my last visit in August they conducted manual ticket checks/scans for all rail passengers arriving at Stansted.
There is an ongoing scheme (named Project Oval) to expand the London & South East contactless PAYG area, with Stansted provisionally included in Phase 2. Phase 1 has to be sorted first though, and given it's been delayed by 18 months to June 2024, Phase 2 is unlikely to be implemented before 2026...

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
They are (eventually); it's covered in the thread regarding Project Oval.

they could of course do ten seconds of research before travelling.

A google search for “stansted express contactless” returns this result at the very top: “You can't use Oyster or Contactless payment cards on Stansted Express services to/from Stansted Airport…”
I have no issue with people being charged extra for this, but this does expose that Penalty Fares are indeed used by TOCs as a way to charge lucrative sums of money to people who made an honest mistake.

The railway would gladly make passengers feel negative about rail, and consider other modes of transport next time, just to make a few quid.

The top few comments at the time of writing are as follows:

@roadie4360
The fact that it pays to have so many more ticket checks employed at Stansted than London Liverpool Street suggests theirs a failure in the system.
A failure from a passenger's point of view, yes. But Greater Anglia and the DfT see this as a success, as they use different criteria to ordinary people.

@brucemasters3487
The fact that the train operator refuses to respond to requests for information is yet another example of the contempt that the Brits treat their customers.
It is a demonstration of the contempt that many TOCs treat passengers, not Brits overall.

@Seagull81006
I get why you can use contactless on Stansted Express, as people may just use it to hop between Liverpool Street and Tottenham Hale. Whilst yes, it does say no contactless to Stansted, i do think fining people for it is a tad harsh, when it should really just be the fare they have to pay. Though ideally, contactless really ought to go to Stansted sooner, as this is a easily fixable mistake.
Greater Anglia have no interest in charging people the correct fare when they can charge a lucrative Penalty Fare. The legislation we have in this country, along with the way the rail industry is structured, incentivises the poor treatment of customers.

This is the way the DfT like it, and the managers at Greater Anglia are no doubt being congratulated and feel they are doing a great job.

If some people are deterred from travelling by train in future, this is not seen as any loss. GA know that most people have no viable alternative and if some people choose to use other means then that won't bother them one bit.

@YAZZYUTUBE
This issue is easy to resolve. Just charge the additional fare to passengers exiting at Stansted station by employing tap to exit for the passengers using contactless payments or insert the paper ticket for passengers who purchased the fare upfront.
GA and DfT see the current system as resolving the matter, as it increases revenue.

Passengers who make a mistake are deemed fair game to be charged huge penalties by an industry that knows that it can mistreat people as much as it wants, and get away with it.

This negative publicity will be like water off a duck's back to GA/DfT; the sort of people who come up with, and implement, penalty fare schemes are not exactly nice people; they are not going to change their ways, and no amount of negative publicity will have any effect.

Last edited:

WSMP

Unless they've installed gates there in recent months, then no. On my last visit in August they conducted manual ticket checks/scans for all rail passengers arriving at Stansted.

There is an ongoing scheme (named Project Oval) to expand the London & South East contactless PAYG area, with Stansted provisionally included in Phase 2. Phase 1 has to be sorted first though, and given it's been delayed by 18 months to June 2024, Phase 2 is unlikely to be implemented before 2026...
I think it's still manual, but I can't see why they wouldn't make it like Heathrow Express and Gatwick where you can tap in/out, I mean it's only one station.

Interestingly enough, the PF regs used to say Authorised Collectors should show lenience for tourists and unfamiliar customers. GA just PF, which doesn't do that, so I think there's an argument to say GA aren't following the PF regs.

island

Veteran Member
Interestingly enough, the PF regs used to say Authorised Collectors should show lenience for tourists and unfamiliar customers. GA just PF, which doesn't do that, so I think there's an argument to say GA aren't following the PF regs.
They are following what the regulations say now. They are not required to follow what they “used to” say.

Not disagreeing that this is customer-unfriendly of course – but then they may feel they don’t need to engender loyalty from people on their way out of the country.

Edvid

Established Member
I think it's still manual, but I can't see why they wouldn't make it like Heathrow Express and Gatwick where you can tap in/out, I mean it's only one station.
In those cases, they apply special fares for specific station pairings that aren't subject to capping arrangements and require dedicated gates at one of the stations in each pairing. (I assume you're referring specifically to Gatwick Express and not the rest of the applicable GTR portfolio.)

Designating such gates at Liverpool Street is probably doable, but Stansted Express services would then have to skip the intermediate calls or passengers between those stations (including Tottenham Hale!) and LST would end up paying the same as those riding the full stretch.

The_Van

There are some major stations between Broxbourne the current limit on the Stansted line and the airport, Harlow and Bishops Stortford so they'd have to roll out contactless across the whole section not just the airport

RobertsN

I recently travelled to/from Stansted Airport. Full train, 2 people to check tickets with a long queue (I had paper tickets and they were surprised I needed/wanted to keep them).
I would say it was a not a good experience for someone travelling to an airport where you would expect automatic barriers to accept/reject tickets.

jon81uk

Stansted Express stops at Tottenham Hale (within current zones), Cheshunt (within current zones), Harlow Town, Bishop's Stortford and Stansted Airport. Adding contactless at the airport means it really should be added at Harlow Town and Bishop's Stortford too. Although it may be possible to enable it at the airport only, it may cause other problems.

In those cases, they apply special fares for specific station pairings that aren't subject to capping arrangements and require dedicated gates at one of the stations in each pairing. (I assume you're referring specifically to Gatwick Express and not the rest of the applicable GTR portfolio.)

Designating such gates at Liverpool Street is probably doable, but Stansted Express services would then have to skip the intermediate calls or passengers between those stations (including Tottenham Hale!) and LST would end up paying the same as those riding the full stretch.

Not sure why it would need to skip the other stops if they added touch-out gates at the airport, as you need to touch in and out anyway. Only issue is as above that Harlow Town and Bishop's Stortford would be intermediate stations without contactless acceptance.

James H

The issue was covered on the BBC's Politics London programme today

(A number of questionable statements in the report that denizens of this forum would take issue with!)

Last edited:

notmyrealname

The Times has calculated that Greater Anglia is making up to £1.6m a year.

The rail group that runs the Stansted Express is making up to £1.6 million a year in fines from passengers who mistakenly use contactless cards to pay for their journey to the airport from central London.

London TravelWatch, a statutory watchdog, has criticised Greater Anglia for the “unfair” practice of allowing travellers to tap in with contactless cards at Liverpool Street and Tottenham Hale stations and board a train to the airport, but not allowing them to tap out at the other end, where they are given a penalty fare of £100. It is cut to £50 if paid within three weeks.

Last edited by a moderator:

FenMan

Established Member
The Times has calculated that Greater Anglia is making up to £1.6m a year.

Not any more. The money now goes to the DfT.

Some quick calculations to find out the scale of the problem ....

- The Times report uses 2019 data.
- According to the ORR, 3,572,333 passengers purchased tickets for travel from Stansted Airport to London Region from April 2019 to March 2020.*
- Let's assume this number is matched by journeys from London Region to Stansted Airport.
- So, that'd be 3,572,333 passengers at risk of thinking Contactless can be used to pay for their journey to the airport.
- The Times report states 16,000 passengers arriving at Stansted were penalty-fared. Let's assume all of these penalties were for Contactless issues (which is quite a big, and generous, assumption).
- So, 1 in 223 of the at-risk passengers got it wrong and were caught or, to put it another way, 222 out of every 223 got it right (or were lucky).

Is the 1 in 223 figure wildly different to the proportion of passengers arriving at terminal stations in London and elsewhere who have ticketing "issues" and are penalty-fared? It would be interesting to find out.

*Source: https://www.railwaydata.co.uk/odm/gbr/?year=1920&string_out=Stansted+Airport+[6834]&dest=R-London&ord=H
The ORR figures cover the start of COVID, likely depressing the annual number of tickets sold. The equivalent number of tickets sold in 2018/19 was more than 4,000,000.

Last edited: