• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Stansted Express - Peak Frequency Uplift from May 22nd

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jammy Dodger

Stansted Express peak service frequencies will be increased to 4tph from May 22nd.

No word on when Off-Peak services will be brought back up to 4tph (pre-pandemic levels).

Greater Anglia ramps up Stansted Express services with four trains an hour in weekday morning and evening rush hours​

Peak-time Stansted Express train services are to be restored to pre-Covid pandemic levels.

The partial victory for the airport comes after pressure from its operator, Manchester Airports Group (MAG), and cross-party politicians in the East of England region.

Train operator Greater Anglia will ramp up departures from May 22 to meet increasing demand. Stansted Express trains will double to four an hour in the morning and evening rush hours on weekdays.
Trains leaving London Liverpool Street between 5.10am and 8.10am and between 4.10pm and 7.40pm on Mondays to Fridays will run every 15 minutes. Departures from the airport to the capital will run every 15 minutes from 6am to 9.15am and from 4.45pm to 8.15pm.

The service will continue to operate at a half-hourly frequency at off-peak times, but with new 12-carriage trains offering over 80% more seats than the eight-carriage trains they replaced.

Jamie Burles, Greater Anglia’s managing director, said: "We’re pleased to be providing four trains per hour to Stansted Airport at peak times on weekdays from our May timetable change, benefitting air travellers and commuters alike, as well as other peak-time and summer season improvements aimed at encouraging even more customers to take the train.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Jammy Dodger

Do GA have 12 car trains? 3x379?
All the 379's were (stupidly*) ditched a year ago for newer 745's (which are 12-car). They were introduced as part of a commitment in 2016 by Abellio to replace their entire fleet.

(*11 year old rolling stock bought with £155m of taxpayer funding. Refresh those units and they can go for another 20+ years)

Established Member
Well that puts pressure on the 745 fleet, assuming that’s what is diagrammed. Three sets stable at Orient Way and one at Stansted Airport off peak.

WAML peak punctuality was always compromised by the need to have Broxbourne starters simply to move the number of pre-Covid passengers. These are withdrawn in May and the Hertford East service reverts to running via the Lea Valley with 10 car 720s in the peak. So increasing STEX isn’t the only change, which makes measuring any punctuality effect more difficult.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Stansted Express peak service frequencies will be increased to 4tph from May 22nd.

No word on when Off-Peak services will be brought back up to 4tph (pre-pandemic levels).

"Over 80% more seats" per train puts a misleading spin on the situation, as usual. The 745s offer far less luggage space than the 379s, and the half-hourly off-peak frequency means there are still 10% fewer seats per hour (before deducting seats that are unusable due to luggage now blocking them). No doubt they've also counted the tip-up seats.

There's a double whammy on average end-to-end times as a result of the reduced frequency, as it doubles the mean wait time to ~16 minutes (remember, doors close 30 odd seconds before departure) and also means that the journey itself takes longer as you can't skip-stop the secondary stations.

There's no way that the current service is deserving of the epithet Stansted "Express", let alone the sky-high fares that are charged. Even tiny little Southend Airport has a better train service! I would be well and truly annoyed if I lived in Bishops Stortford etc. and relied on the overcrowded SX as my main service into London. Fortunately there are plenty of alternative flights from other London airports.

Jammy Dodger

Well that puts pressure on the 745 fleet, assuming that’s what is diagrammed. Three sets stable at Orient Way and one at Stansted Airport off peak.
There is already pressure on the entire 745 fleet. Diagrams that were 745/0's (GEML variant - 1st class, buffet) have been frequently filled by 745/1's (SX variant - all standard class) since introduction.

I was on an off-peak SX service a few weeks ago (at around midday), and a /0 unit was being used. This was effectively full and standing at BIS.

From personal experience post pandemic, only platform 3 is ever used at SSD for SX services, with ~10min turnaround from termination to departure, and none stabled there for any significant period of time.

There's no way that the current service is deserving of the epithet Stansted "Express", let alone the sky-high fares that are charged. Even tiny little Southend Airport has a better train service! I would be well and truly annoyed if I lived in Bishops Stortford etc. and relied on the overcrowded SX as my main service into London. Fortunately there are plenty of alternative flights from other London airports.
Unless it had 4-track operation south of SSD, I'm not sure if WAML has the capacity for a non-stop SX service. Even if this was introduced, BIS and HWN would need some other semi-fast service to give the required capacity needed (even post-pandemic).

If I remember correctly, BIS used to get 8tph off-peak (4x SX, 2x CBG, 1x SRA, 1x KLN), most of which were at ~75% capacity. That's the level of service needed now (possibly with a 3rd CBG service), which we will unfortunately not get for years to come. Best case is December brings SX to 4tph off-peak...

Established Member
If I remember correctly, BIS used to get 8tph off-peak (4x SX, 2x CBG, 1x SRA, 1x KLN), most of which were at ~75% capacity. That's the level of service needed now (possibly with a 3rd CBG service), which we will unfortunately not get for years to come. Best case is December brings SX to 4tph off-peak...

Base timetable was 2 x STEX, 2 x CBG and 2 x SRA. STEX called alternately 2 tph at Harlow Town and 2 tph at Stortford. No Lynn service off peak.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Unless it had 4-track operation south of SSD, I'm not sure if WAML has the capacity for a non-stop SX service. Even if this was introduced, BIS and HWN would need some other semi-fast service to give the required capacity needed (even post-pandemic).
The pre-Covid service could just about, at a push, be called an "Express". But it is frankly false advertising to call the current or indeed May 23 service "Express".

I'm not convinced that there is necessarily justification for having a dedicated airport express service, particularly given the limitations of the WAML, but the current situation is unacceptable and gives a very poor first impression to people visiting the UK.

That's quite apart from the ludicrously overzealous revenue enforcement, including on people who accidentally try to use Oyster or contactless to the airport.

Jammy Dodger

The pre-Covid service could just about, at a push, be called an "Express". But it is frankly false advertising to call the current or indeed May 23 service "Express".
As much as it isn't an "express" service, it's the best we have. It does however give some nice semi-fast services from around SSD/BIS into LST (around 50 mins), when compared to the low frequency GA services (>1hr)
I'm not convinced that there is necessarily justification for having a dedicated airport express service, particularly given the limitations of the WAML, but the current situation is unacceptable and gives a very poor first impression to people visiting the UK.
Agreed, although Stansted is the 2nd busiest airport in the country (according to 2022 figures), and was operating at 55-60% capacity pre-pandemic, so it definitely needs some form of service (semi-fast at least). Gatwick (pre-pandemic) and Heathrow both get 4tph, so it makes sense for an equivalent service to be offered. The biggest problem is that Stansted (unlike the 3 other major London airports) isn't situated on a main arterial, intercity-type line, which limits the options available.

Greengauge21 has suggested an eastern high-speed line in Beyond HS2, stopping at Stansted Airport. This would easily allow for 3-4tph express services. Sadly, that won't start construction until the 2060's in the current political climate... :'(
That's quite apart from the ludicrously overzealous revenue enforcement, including on people who accidentally try to use Oyster or contactless to the airport.
Project Oval should help with this, assuming it is extended to SSD (was outlined in a consultation a few years ago)

Base timetable was 2 x STEX, 2 x CBG and 2 x SRA. STEX called alternately 2 tph at Harlow Town and 2 tph at Stortford. No Lynn service off peak.
Off-peak SX was 4tph, all calling at TOM, and variety of stopping patterns for BIS, SST and HWN.

See an extract of the May 2019 timetable (thanks to DPSimulation - https://www.dpsimulation.org.uk/greater-anglia-timetables.html)

1677807208977.png

Last edited:

Established Member
Off-peak SX was 4tph, all calling at TOM, and variety of stopping patterns for BIS, SST and HWN.

See an extract of the May 2019 timetable (thanks to DPSimulation - https://www.dpsimulation.org.uk/greater-anglia-timetables.html)
That looks like 6 tph at Stortford to me, which was the station you originally quoted. 2 from Cambridge, 2 from Stansted and 2 starters that go to Stratford as I said. Pretty much the timetable introduced back in 2011 apart from Cambridge North. We may be talking at cross purposes here.

The Stansted Airport service will always be a compromise between speed and capacity. What it lacks since Covid to make up for that is frequency, but one may need to talk to the treasury about that.

chubs

Finally, the fact they didn't do it last summer is a disgrace considering airport passenger numbers. Off Peak needs to follow by the summer really.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Agreed, although Stansted is the 2nd busiest airport in the country (according to 2022 figures), and was operating at 55-60% capacity pre-pandemic, so it definitely needs some form of service (semi-fast at least).
Those figures are skewed by the pandemic - Stansted held up better than other airports because of the mix of passengers it sees (it sees a lot fewer business travellers, for instance). Pre-Covid, Stansted was in 4th place and that's where I'd expect it to return to once this year's statistics are published (it being the first year since Covid where there have been no travel restrictions).

Greengauge21 has suggested an eastern high-speed line in Beyond HS2, stopping at Stansted Airport. This would easily allow for 3-4tph express services. Sadly, that won't start construction until the 2060's in the current political climate... :'(
Pie in the sky thinking, I'm afraid. I don't think anything will materially change about the Stansted Express unless and until Crossrail 2 is built.

Project Oval should help with this, assuming it is extended to SSD (was outlined in a consultation a few years ago)
Indeed, but in the meantime there is no justification for GA being as heavy on Oyster/contactless users as they are being. People already pay an incomplete journey charge when they fail to touch out - it only adds insult to injury to then also charge them a £50/100 Penalty Fare!

Established Member
Indeed, but in the meantime there is no justification for GA being as heavy on Oyster/contactless users as they are being. People already pay an incomplete journey charge when they fail to touch out - it only adds insult to injury to then also charge them a £50/100 Penalty Fare!

The justification (fairly obviously) is that oyster/contactless isn’t accepted at Stansted?!

Last edited:

Not anytime soon.

It will be interesting to see what this does to WAML peak punctuality.
no doubt peak punctuality will suffer - the extra Stansteds for example mean that on weekdays there are 4x 4 up trains at 3 min intervals on the same platform at Tott Hale (0700/03/06/09, 0730.. 0800.. 0830). That is just about achievable when all the stars align, but builds in some delays on a normal day.

On the other hand there will still be slightly fewer trains than for the 2011-2020 period, many less passengers than pre-pandemic and longer, better performing trains (720s are notably faster than 317s), so performance should still be better than what was achieved for all those years

anyone know if the extra peak Stansteds will be booked 745s or 720s?

Jammy Dodger

I wouldn't be surprised if one of them is 2x720's. With 745/1's being used to fill gaps on GEML, and the whole 745 fleet being maintained in Norwich, some evening/late night SX services have been 2x720's for almost a year now.

In the long run, with 9xSX services diagrammed per day, I wouldn't be surprised if at least 2 were 720's.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
They don't pay an incomplete journey charge if either the journey self completes or they complete it online later in the day.

What do you suggest, that they just waive people through flashing an Oyster card at Stansted? No matter where the Oyster / Contactless boundary is ultimately drawn, passengers will still try and go further.

I recognise that the limit needs to be made abundantly clear.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
The justification (fairly obviously) is that oyster/contactless isn’t accepted at Stansted?!
I said that there was no justification for being as heavy-handed as they are - not that they should completely let people off.

They don't pay an incomplete journey charge if either the journey self completes or they complete it online later in the day.

What do you suggest, that they just waive people through flashing an Oyster card at Stansted?
They should just charge them the relevant walkup fare, certainly not a Penalty Fare on top. Whilst it's possible to manually complete the journey, most people in that position frankly won't be familiar enough with the Oyster/contactless system to even know that this is possible.

No matter where the Oyster / Contactless boundary is ultimately drawn, passengers will still try and go further.

I recognise that the limit needs to be made abundantly clear.
This is true, however clearly Stansted is within the area that a lot of tourists think Oyster/contactless is valid. Even the most uninformed tourist would surely not believe Cambridge to be within that area though, for example.

Can you blame them, given that it's advertised as a "London" airport and you can travel to and from all the other London airports (other than Southend) using PAYG?

Nicholas Lewis

Established Member
As much as it isn't an "express" service, it's the best we have. It does however give some nice semi-fast services from around SSD/BIS into LST (around 50 mins), when compared to the low frequency GA services (>1hr)

Agreed, although Stansted is the 2nd busiest airport in the country (according to 2022 figures), and was operating at 55-60% capacity pre-pandemic, so it definitely needs some form of service (semi-fast at least). Gatwick (pre-pandemic) and Heathrow both get 4tph, so it makes sense for an equivalent service to be offered. The biggest problem is that Stansted (unlike the 3 other major London airports) isn't situated on a main arterial, intercity-type line, which limits the options available.
According to CAA figures it was third busiest in 2022

https://www.caa.co.uk/data-and-anal...irports/uk-airport-data/uk-airport-data-2022/

At least with SX it gets well used compared to GX which are 12x387 running around with plenty of fresh air although i suspect the 313 elimination plan involves cutting these back to 8's to free up units.

Shwam3

There is only 1 booked passenger 720 to Stansted in the diagrams I've seen and thats 08:25 Cambridge - Stansted & 09:09 Stansted - Cambridge on Sundays.
It looks like the peak extra trains will be formed by 3x peak only 745/1 diagrams and 3x 745/0s coming from the GE with 755s in multiple backfilling on mainline services.

There is only 1 booked passenger 720 to Stansted in the diagrams I've seen and thats 08:25 Cambridge - Stansted & 09:09 Stansted - Cambridge on Sundays.
It looks like the peak extra trains will be formed by 3x peak only 745/1 diagrams and 3x 745/0s coming from the GE with 755s in multiple backfilling on mainline services.
TVM

dk1

Veteran Member

Yes been told of plans for extra 755 in multiple on the GEML. Unfortunately catering no longer moves between units at Colchester as was originally the case so anybody requiring refreshments needs to be in the correct unit which is normally the Norwich end.

Established Member
I said that there was no justification for being as heavy-handed as they are - not that they should completely let people off.

It depends what you mean by “heavy handed”. Being charged a penalty fare is hardly the end of the world considering the alternative!

If there was no sanction there would be no incentive to buy a ticket at all, you’d just board the train without a ticket and only pay if challenged (very easy with contactless as there’s no way to check whether a non blacklisted card has been tapped in).

It’s clear that you disagree with the railway doing anything other than charging fares for people found without valid tickets (and then not having any actual ability to enforce even this). As a tax payer and railway user I’d like to see more revenue protection activity not less.

As always with these discussions, it’s funny to notice how you are so relaxed about revenue lost to fare evasion/ticketing irregularities, but become hyper concerned about revenue being down the moment the subject of staff pay comes up.:lol:

They should just charge them the relevant walkup fare, certainly not a Penalty Fare on top.

With respect I would suggest they know how to do their jobs better than you. In any case, how you know that doesn’t already happen sometimes? They will likely exercise discretion in each case. Ultimately it’s the responsibility of passengers to use a valid ticket payment method. That includes foreign tourists and whenever I go abroad I make it my business to check out the local arrangements.

Whilst it's possible to manually complete the journey, most people in that position frankly won't be familiar enough with the Oyster/contactless system to even know that this is possible.

I don’t think this is a safe statement. A significant number of Stansted passengers will be residents of London and the south east who will be very familiar with oyster/contactless. Foreign tourists arriving into the airport will be unlikely to assume they can tap in and will naturally purchase return tickets.

Last edited:

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
It depends what you mean by “heavy handed”. Being charged a penalty fare is hardly the end of the world considering the alternative!
The fact that the railway has the (utterly disproportionate) power to privately prosecute doesn't make a Penalty Fare any less heavy-handed - particularly so after the recent increase to £50/100.

If there was no sanction there would be no incentive to buy a ticket at all, you’d just board the train without a ticket and only pay if challenged
Except there are revenue staff at Stansted nearly 24/7, and most of the stations on the route are barried. Nobody is going to be getting away with 'pay if challenged'.

(very easy with contactless as there’s no way to check whether a non blacklisted card has been tapped in).
Again, how many people actually know that? We might, but the average person doesn't. There's also no harm in checking that the card isn't blacklisted, and in causing a maximum journey charge and failed revenue inspection to be applied. This, plus charging someone the undiscounted single fare, is penalty enough in my view.

It’s clear that you disagree with the railway doing anything other than charging fares for people found without valid tickets (and then not having any actual ability to enforce even this).
Except I don't - that's just a conclusion you've jumped to in your head! There are certainly cases where Penalty Fares are appropriate - and such PFs can and should be enforced as a civil debt, as was always intended to happen. What is wrong is imposing them on people who unwittingly try to use an Oyster or contactless card to travel to Stansted, or issuing a Penalty Fare and then (immorally and often unlawfully) switching over to prosecuting because it's less effort than suing.

As a tax payer and railway user I’d like to see more revenue protection activity not less.
I am all for increased and consistent revenue protection; what I cannot support is dedicating huge amounts of resources to unfairly penalising 'low hanging fruit' such as this, whilst ignoring donutting and other more serious forms of fare evasion and antisocial behaviour.

As always with these discussions, it’s funny to notice how you are so relaxed about revenue lost to fare evasion/ticketing irregularities, but become hyper concerned about revenue being down the moment the subject of staff pay comes up.:lol:
Again, you've just come to that conclusion yourself. The fact that I criticise the railway's current disproportionate way of dealing with such issues doesn't mean I condone, or am relaxed about, fare evasion or irregularities.

Either way we are talking about a small, and generally quite stable, percentage of revenue being lost; typically something in the region of 2-5%. That is a completely different matter to revenue being down by 10-15% in cash terms compared to pre-Covid, or 25-30% in real terms (let alone what it was forecasted to increase to) - whilst costs are up 10+%. It's apples and oranges.

With respect I would suggest they know how to do their jobs better than you.
Whilst I'm sure they know how to issue Penalty Fares and the like (though not always correctly, one should add!), that is a different question to whether they should be doing so.

In any case, how you know that doesn’t already happen sometimes? They will likely exercise discretion in each case.
That's certainly not been my experience, from countless conversations I've overheard at the revenue blocks. There should in any event be no need to exercise discretion here; it should be a formal policy that passenger producing an otherwise valid Oyster/contactless card at Stansted will not be penalised.

Indeed, it used to be the case that Penalty Fares didn't apply to Stansted; this policy, which recognised the fact that it was a station that many foreign passengers used, was silently scrapped some years back. Penalty Fares schemes were always intended to have exclusions for situations such as this, but GA got greedy and realised they could make more money by penalising unwitting tourists, and the situation has stuck since.

Ultimately it’s the responsibility of passengers to use a valid ticket payment method. That includes foreign tourists and whenever I go abroad I make it my business to check out the local arrangements.
That's the legal position, but as I'm sure you're well aware, that doesn't necessarily reflect what people do. Would you consider it fair game to be issued with a PF of £100 equivalent if you didn't realise a ticket had to be composted, for instance?

I don’t think this is a safe statement. A significant number of Stansted passengers will be residents of London and the south east who will be very familiar with oyster/contactless.
They may be familiar with the concept of using it, but that does not guarantee they will be familiar with completing journeys manually. If you asked 100 PAYG users, I bet 95 of them would struggle to do it.

Foreign tourists arriving into the airport will be unlikely to assume they can tap in and will naturally purchase return tickets.
There is no guarantee that they will necessarily purchase return tickets. On most other railways across the world, single leg pricing means that you just buy singles when you travel.

Last edited:

Alfie1014

Does this suggesting even fewer 745/0s on Norwich services? If so even more of downgrade? Mind you use of 755s on the 07:26 up may explain the loss of the open stop at Colchester?

Liv St to Stansted services have started to use the down loop platform 4 at Harlow Town, Camb services still using 3, and no change on up services. Anyone know why?

Class 170101

Established Member
Liv St to Stansted services have started to use the down loop platform 4 at Harlow Town, Camb services still using 3, and no change on up services. Anyone know why?
Unless for some reason the Class 745s are suddenly out of guage. Either way this isn't planned. RTT is showing the platform change in red so its an unplanned change.

Shwam3

Unless for some reason the Class 745s are suddenly out of guage. Either way this isn't planned. RTT is showing the platform change in red so its an unplanned change.
There's a problem with one of the sliding steps getting stuck under the platform at one specific door position on platform 3. The quick fix has been to swap 745s to use platform 4 (it is planned but there have been schedule update problems from Network Rail recently) while a software change to the obstacle detection is prepared.

Last edited:

The exile

Established Member
That's the legal position, but as I'm sure you're well aware, that doesn't necessarily reflect what people do. Would you consider it fair game to be issued with a PF of £100 equivalent if you didn't realise a ticket had to be composted
Yes, absolutely. If you are visiting somewhere unfamiliar, it is your responsibility to ensure you are aware of local laws and customs and to abide by them. If you’re not prepared to make that effort, you shouldn’t be going.

Status
Not open for further replies.