• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Stansted to Stratford using season ticket

Status
Not open for further replies.

rockford

I've got a Stansted Mountfitchet to London Terminals 'any permitted route' annual season.
I was just looking at routeing map ST on the ATOC website and it lists Stratford on the route. Does this mean I could travel to Stratford using my ticket?
Or would my route come under map WA?
Possibly a stupid question, but the routeing guide confuses me. It doesn't seem logical that I would be allowed to travel to Stratford, but you never know!
Thank you.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Stansted Group to London Group is only valid on map ST. But yes, you can use any line on that map that traces a route between Stansted and London, and any sub-section of those routes.

rockford

Excellent. Thank you.
I wasn't even aware that Stansted Mountfitchet was grouped with Stansted Airport.
Being able to travel to Stratford will be useful come the Olympics and Christmas shopping at Westfield (*shudder*)!
Am I likely to get grief from RPIs or barriers / barrier staff when travelling this route, as it's not a logical route to take?
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Just to test the potential reaction (not because I disbelieve you), I asked an RPI and a member of staff at Stortford. Both said that as Stratford wasn't a London terminal, it wasn't valid.
I'm guessing they're wrong and therefore I'm in for all sorts of problems if I were to attempt this...

NSE

Established Member
It would definatly be valid to travel via Stratford en route to Liverpool Street, however as for exiting at Stratford I have no clue. I'm sure Yorkie can sort you out.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
It would definatly be valid to travel via Stratford en route to Liverpool Street, however as for exiting at Stratford I have no clue. I'm sure Yorkie can sort you out.
haha, thanks :) but there's a lot more people than me who can advise on this ;)

A season ticket certainly allows for unlimited journeys between any stations on mapped routes between the origin & destination stations shown on the ticket. In addition, the same applies for route(s) allowed under the shortest route rule, too (though usually these routes are mapped anyway - though not always).

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Yes, a Stansted to London ticket allows unlimited journeys between any pair of stations on the routes shown on map ST.

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Thanks chaps.
Expect another thread when I attempt this... :D

If it makes you feel any happier, go to the routing guide and print off a copy of the map ST. If anyone queries what you are doing then show them that as the definition of valid routes for your season and I'm sure you'll be let through without issue. Your ticket may not work a gate at Stratford, but that doesn't mean it isn't valid - it is.

LondonJohn

If it makes you feel any happier, go to the routing guide and print off a copy of the map ST. If anyone queries what you are doing then show them that as the definition of valid routes for your season and I'm sure you'll be let through without issue. Your ticket may not work a gate at Stratford, but that doesn't mean it isn't valid - it is.

The staff that operate the gates at Stratford are TFL staff. Just flash anything orange at them and they tend to open the gates. ;)

Of course everything orange that I have flashed has been valid.

jopsuk

Veteran Member
Although it is only tangentially related, I'm pretty sure NXEA's posters for the Super Off peak returns from Cambridge to London mention Stratford and Tottenham Hale as destinations in addition to Liverpool Street for the same ticket- ie even though it isn't officially, NXEA treat it as a "london terminal" in some circumstances.

Status
Not open for further replies.