• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Starlink Train

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

thejuggler

Been out both nights and not seen it.

Light pollution may be an issue, but we have no problem seeing the Spacestation and other satellites.

I'm not totally convinced by the website timings as it stated last night it 'could be 30 minutes earlier' and is showing 'cancelled' for others.

Trackman

Established Member
Also give this site a try.

It shows Starlink as well as other satellites that should be visible.

I've seen this site from a link, if they could combine the data with this to the app it would be great.
A shame street view is down (due to Google wanting £££s per day) it would show you exactly where to look.
Anyway, trusty compass at 21.36 tonight, not holding up much hope; supposed to be cloudy.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Anyone seen it yet?
I downloaded the app on my phone last night and used the phones compass to look out for it without any luck.
Any tips too?
For people who don't know what it is: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Starlink
And here's what it looks like

They only look like that shortly after launch; after a while they spread out and the current favourable batch from the UK, Starlink 5, you can expect them at roughly 20 to 30 second intervals and it takes about 25 - 30 minutes for the bulk of them to pass over.. The best passes will be those that run slightly to the south of your own location ( think solar angle and reflections ).

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Went out last night , never seen any.

Try this, but change the location to your own location before saving the link to favourites:

It'll generate predictions based specifically for your location.

Trackman

Established Member
Well, should be no excuse for me tonight (famous last words)
40 passing over at around 21:09 for 6 minutes.
Clear sky forecasted for tonight.
Also https://james.darpinian.com/satellites/ has street view back up so you know where to look.
I think this is where I was going wrong before even with the aid of a compass and rough idea of the elevation.

Trackman

Established Member
famous last words.. no luck last night.
But, the app has updated today with Starlink 7 which was launched last Wednesday I think.
Tonight there was a 2 minute window at 21.01 and boasted 'hard to see'.
Just for the sheer hell of it I went to have a look.. and there it was!

Bayum

Established Member
I keep trying to find it, but having no luck. Relatively cloudless and down as ‘bright’ tonight, but I can’t see them either. Don’t really know what I’m meant to be looking for, but certainly haven’t seen anything moving :(

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
famous last words.. no luck last night.
But, the app has updated today with Starlink 7 which was launched last Wednesday I think.
Tonight there was a 2 minute window at 21.01 and boasted 'hard to see'.
Just for the sheer hell of it I went to have a look.. and there it was!

It's Starlink 6.

It is the 7th launch, but the first one was rather illogically numbered Starlink 0.

MAV39

Used Heavens Above (linked in post #9) and the James Darpinian websites (linked in post #11) to successfully see the ISS and Starlink 4 satellites this evening.

Status
Not open for further replies.