• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Start tomorrow

Status
Not open for further replies.

red2005

Hey all start my driver training tomorrow so very excited!!

Just wondering if there are any other trainees a bit further along in the new process that can give me an insight as to what to expect in the first few weeks

Cheers all

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

r1_biker

Hi,

Started my training just over 9 months ago. Expect lots of hard work. I have struggled greatly with my traction but I think the secret is work hard, don't give up and be honest with your managers and trainers.

Am sat here with a big mug of tea just going over and over and over and over my traction stuff. Routes and rules have come fairly easy for me, just giving away stupid marks on certain exams. Be super careful if you have exam papers with only a few total marks available. Drop a few points and you fail the paper. This may or may not matter but I am so damm p*ssed that I have this in my folder.

Make sure that those who are important to you outside of work know how much this matters to you. Have told my other half I need two years grace. One year to get through the training and one year doing the job. I will moan and complain about how I can't do this etc but the end result will so be worth it all. Already just being able to get out and drive with no real input from my instructor is a great feeling.

Your experiences may vary but have fun and enjoy it. The day it stops becoming fun and that feeling lasts is the time to take stock and consider what you really want.

Hope that helps

SPADTrap

Established Member
What company is everyone at? Best of luck all starting soon :)

Pepperami

Good luck mate!!

Im still a long way off, Drivers Managers interview next week with FCC but I feel although I have come a long way so far, there is still such a long way to go even to get a start date!!

Wishing you all the best :)

red2005

Thank you ever so much for the kind words guys!:) very helpful :)

What toc you starting with theageofthetrain!?

Thanks pepperami........good luck matey I'm sure you'll be fine, make sure you do your research etc buddy and just be yourself :)

Senshi

Well done glenn! Which TOC are you at? Still a long way to go for me, got my stage 2 assessments on the 26th so hoping I can do well, any pointers in getting through them? Been working on reaction speeds etc just need to fine tune my answers to the interview questions(pressuming I get that far), well done again ;)

red2005

Thanks senshi!

Good luck with your assessments mate!........it's hard to say really buddy as it's just simply designed as the type of tests you take to or you don't :/

What I would say though mate is listen/read to the instructions that they give you and if you are unsure of anything just ask!....if they can help you they will as they are not there to fail you!

As far as the interview goes make sure that you are yourself and have some examples of times you have been in emergency situations, worked alone and had to achieve a positive result whilst working under pressure.....those kind of things!......almost rehearse your examples word for word in your head and if you don't get asked its a bonus....however it's there if you need it!......there's nothing worse that adding to an already stressful environment by having to think of examples on the spot!

I'm sure you'll do brilliantly mate let me know how you get on and thanks again for the kind words :)

Yook

Just reading about you guys starting your training, congratulations. I start in around a month, can anyone on here direct me to material to swat up on before the training starts?

Sunday_mornin

Just reading about you guys starting your training, congratulations. I start in around a month, can anyone on here direct me to material to swat up on before the training starts?

Simply, don't. Trying to ahead of the game by reading rule book modules will cause more trouble than it's worth. Enjoy your months peace and follow the course as it's written. The knowledge comes thick and fast so prepare yourself but most of all, enjoy it.

Best of luck too all starting soon.

Footplate Man

Hey all start my driver training tomorrow so very excited!!

Just wondering if there are any other trainees a bit further along in the new process that can give me an insight as to what to expect in the first few weeks

Cheers all

Congratulations, it's going to be hard work, there is a lot to learn , but it's all worth while, I've been in the grade 14 years and it's a brilliant job, despite the silly shifts.. Good luck.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

As has already been said... Don't !! Just go with the process at your particular TOC or FOC . You will get all the training you'll need.
Best of luck.

red2005

Yes that sounds the best bet!, I've done absolutely nothing as from what I've heard there's going to be enough intensity with the course as it is without putting if's and maybe's and trying to get a head start he he he

I went in the opposite direction I booked 2 weeks leave and went on holiday for a week and relaxed at home for a week as I knew what was coming!:) ...... It will fly by yook mate!....it'll soon be here.....congratulations chap :)

Vicpaul

Glenn which TOC are you with?

Yook, the course's are designed to give you everything you need so don't worry about and revision before hand. Put in the time and hard work and you will come out the other end with ease

Senshi

Will let you guys know how I get on, congrats again to everyone starting training, can hopefully put myself in the same position in a few months time!!

Yook

Thanks for the responses, will enjoy the time left in my current role and then it's holiday time before the course starts

mr double 77

Congratulations to all who have got a start date or are nearly there, as it is a long process but eventually you will get there, I've had applications knocked back, then would fail the DM interview, or fail the old tests, but persistence pays off as my medical is booked for 23 June, and have been offered the position of trainee train driver with DB Schenker at peak Forrest and start on the 6th October really can't wait, and know it will be very hard work but I'm sure if you listen,learn and if unsure ask you will get through it, as which ever company you have been chosen to join they believe in you so will put there all in getting you through it best of luck as it's been a long recruitment

Sunday_mornin

Congratulations to all who have got a start date or are nearly there, as it is a long process but eventually you will get there, I've had applications knocked back, then would fail the DM interview, or fail the old tests, but persistence pays off as my medical is booked for 23 June, and have been offered the position of trainee train driver with DB Schenker at peak Forrest and start on the 6th October really can't wait, and know it will be very hard work but I'm sure if you listen,learn and if unsure ask you will get through it, as which ever company you have been chosen to join they believe in you so will put there all in getting you through it best of luck as it's been a long recruitment

Congrats mate, glad you have finally made it :)

Glenn & theageofthetrain........which TOCS did you get in with in the end? I remember chatting to you both as I was at the application stage......massive congratulations for getting though! ;)

fowler9

Established Member
Well done chaps. It's lovely to see people heading towards their dream! Keep your heads screwed on, you'll be fine. Remember whats at the end of it!

banku

Many congratulations to the guys who are in. Would you mind telling us what were your previous professions please. Just wanted a sort of idea.

SPADTrap

Established Member
Jealous of you all, I've got to wait until November :D

Keep us all posted, love to hear about your first few weeks!

mr double 77

Many congratulations to the guys who are in. Would you mind telling us what were your previous professions please. Just wanted a sort of idea.

Answer too your question pal, my work experience includes, Armed Forces 7 yrs, bus driver 5 yrs, along with other jobs here and there, and am currently a Tram Driver hope this helps

banku

Answer too your question pal, my work experience includes, Armed Forces 7 yrs, bus driver 5 yrs, along with other jobs here and there, and am currently a Tram Driver hope this helps

Thanks very much for your reply. I hope you guys stay in touch with the forum to answer our queries in future :)
Good Luck with your new role.

red2005

Hi Banku I started as a HGV driver.(part time) ......few years in the police then got a job as a conductor which I did for 6 and a half years then on to driver.....what is it you currently do!?

banku

Hi Banku I started as a HGV driver.(part time) ......few years in the police then got a job as a conductor which I did for 6 and a half years then on to driver.....what is it you currently do!?

Hi Glenn
Many thanks for the reply and congratulations for your new role.
I started working for Royal Mail as a post man then passed my Class-2 and Class-1 driving licence and had been working as a Class-1 Driver with Royal mail since 2004.

red2005

hi mate

your very welcome and thanks very much matey........well you'll be coming from a good position then in terms of responsibility and working to rules and regulations etc......;)

Status
Not open for further replies.