• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Station Grade ‘A’ Dispatch (Safety Critical) Queen Street

maryn

Hi,
I was wondering if anyone has any information regarding what is really involved in this job role ? Been told different information. Someone said mostly 95% cleaning toilets etc I don’t mind cleaning as I go and tidying up , but I really don’t want to clean toilets on my shift.
My position is SGA Dispatch.
I sat the concentration test. They did say cleaning was involved however I don’t mind cleaning up as I go etc but I want to know if it is basically a cleaner role?

Can someone please let me know what is involved and what a day would look like ?

Cheers

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Iamanoob

Hi,
I was wondering if anyone has any information regarding what is really involved in this job role ? Been told different information. Someone said mostly 95% cleaning toilets etc I don’t mind cleaning as I go and tidying up , but I really don’t want to clean toilets on my shift.
My position is SGA Dispatch.
I sat the concentration test. They did say cleaning was involved however I don’t mind cleaning up as I go etc but I want to know if it is basically a cleaner role?

Can someone please let me know what is involved and what a day would look like ?

Cheers
Had an interview a few years back for this role and was told it's mostly cleaning with the odd train dispatch and yes includes toilets since it is a Scotrail station the staff do the cleaning, however a train dispatcher now at Centlral who used to do that job at Queen St told me it was 1 week of cleaning then 1 week of dispatching and since it pays around £28.5K per year (excluding Sundays) it's not bad for a "cleaning" role.

tiptoptaff

Established Member
Even now with internal jobs it is advised to shadow someone if you are up for an interview.
Internally, getting a shadowing day is always a good idea if you're planning to move between grades.

But it shouldn't be the case that someone who can't, won't get the job.

Established Member
Why not go along to the station for an afternoon and watch what they do?

This is a good idea for a role like dispatching, which is publicly visible and accessible. I’d also suggest talking to the staff and asking how they find the job. You’ll certainly get an honest view!

I’d agree with @tiptoptaff it shouldn’t make a difference either way from a recruitment perspective, certainly for an external candidate. On the other hand, it would show proactivity and initiative, and would be a good talking point in an interview.

Last edited:

maryn

Had an interview a few years back for this role and was told it's mostly cleaning with the odd train dispatch and yes includes toilets since it is a Scotrail station the staff do the cleaning, however a train dispatcher now at Centlral who used to do that job at Queen St told me it was 1 week of cleaning then 1 week of dispatching and since it pays around £28.5K per year (excluding Sundays) it's not bad for a "cleaning" role.
Did you take the job ? I thought they had toilet attendants.